Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Kevin Gossett, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Back around Halloween, Target was selling the Disguise Thor Mjolnir hammer for $10. $10! So I grabbed a few, and sent a couple off in the PiF, and kept one for myself. Seeing a couple other threads pop up using the same hammer for displays, I wanted to try my hand at it.

First off, the hammer:

[​IMG]

It's actually a pretty decent piece on its own. But it does have its flaws... There are noticeable seam lines. It is very light weight and flimsy. And the handle is poorly painted cheap plastic.

So my plan was to make some improvements in those areas!

I trimmed down the seam lines using a hobby knife, and then sanded the entire head. I didn't care too much for the paint job that was on it, down the line it will get repainted. Next, I wanted to foam fill the head to give it more density (without adding too much weight). Having never used an expanding foam before, I didn't want to risk the foam expanding too much and bulging out the sides of the head. So I built a simple box to contain everything while the foam was doing its thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After filling the head with what I thought was a good amount of foam, I nailed down the top of the box so even pressure was kept on all sides of the head while the foam cured. The next day, I popped the top off of the box and removed the head, perfectly in tact (although the box was probably unnecessary, I felt good about it!)

[​IMG]

Next up for the head is to do a little spot puttying, sand, primer, sand, and final paint.

hydin likes this.
  2. Kevin Gossett

Taking a break from the head, I wanted to move on to the handle. As I mentioned before, the handle is all plastic, and poorly painted:

[​IMG]

I knew I wanted to completely scrap the handle and start from scratch. Luckily, the handle is only slightly screwed in to the head with a small dab of glue. A little pressure, and it twists right out. I will still keep the same design on the handle, but I will be using a wood base wrapped in leather.

Perusing Lowe's, I came across this:

[​IMG]

A replacement table leg! It was the perfect diameter, and had a nice taper to it. It was all together 36" inches in length, but I only needed a good 11" section. I decided I wanted the thickest part of the handle to have a 1 1/2" diameter, which is exactly what the thickest part of the table leg was. I marked off 11", and cut it to size.

Next, I went in to my local Tandy Leather store to look at my leather options. I had looked at some craft stores first, but their selection just wasn't what I was looking for. At Tandy, selection was not a problem. I was looking for 1" strips of a nice, dark brown leather, but came up short. They had some belt blanks, but that was just too think for the task. I came across their scrap bin, and started poking around. They sell their scraps for $9.99 a pound (at least this location does), so I found several pieces of matching leather and went on my way. I got just over a pound of leather, which would be more than enough for handle.

I measured the circumference of the thickest part of the new handle, and cut several strips of leather to that length. Initially I wanted to do the strips 1" thick, but I opted to do them 1.5" instead.

[​IMG]

Using the plastic handle as a guide, I made a template out of cardstock for the shape of each strip, then traced that onto the leather and began cutting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I attach the leather to the handle, I need to paint it silver first. I was going to do that tonight, but it's a bit too cold out for painting right now, so I'll tackle that tomorrow. Here is how it will look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty pleased with how I think this will turn out! Once I get the handle painted, I will attach the strips and finish it off

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    superyesway likes this.
  3. Kevin Gossett

One of my favorite scenes from the movie was when Thor finds his hammer "stuck in the mud" and tries to pull it out, but cannot as he is not worthy.

[​IMG]

Then I saw a couple others on here post up their "stuck in the mud" displays and knew I had to do the same!

I will be using the same method of using expanding foam to create the "mud" texture, but I won't be making mine as big. It will just be size of your typical display stand, so it can sit on a shelf when completed.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. mikey123mushukl

mikey123mushukl Well-Known Member

I have done something simular, however instead of filling the hammer with expansion foam i used fiberglass resin and weighted the hammer so it will lay in the tilted position all on its own.

5. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

low cost great idea!

6. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

looking forward to seeing the finished piece

7. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

Lookin' good man...I need to eventually do a base for mine as well. I did something similar but not nearly as nice as mocking up a wooden box, I just took some wood pieces and heavy stuff and shoved it up against the wallto keep it from warping while the foam expanded.

8. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For the price of these, they are very well suited for upgrade experiments.
    I remember when they first hit the net for orders and sold out everywhere (this was right when the movie came out) and then went for a ton of money on Ebay!
    Of course, Halloween time rolled in and the hammers were readily and cheaply available everywhere. It pays to be patient.
    Keep up the good work - I'm curious to see how this turns out!

9. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Attacking it just like I thought I would when I saw these. ;) Great approach so far.

10. Kevin Gossett

Thanks everyone for the comments! I appreciate it :)

11. Venjix

Venjix Well-Known Member

This is great. I've been meaning to do this aswell to mine. Looking forward to its awesome completion buddy

12. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

looking forward to an update. I recently picked one up myself to try out your method with.

13. lukel4

lukel4 Active Member

14. Kevin Gossett

It's been a tight week, but I'll be putting some work into this tomorrow, should be finished Friday. Stay tuned!

15. Kevin Gossett

16. lukel4

lukel4 Active Member

awesome i appreciate it !

17. Kevin Gossett

Quick update on the handle progress:

Starting to stich the pieces together and place them...
    [​IMG]

Comparison of the original handle and mine
    [​IMG]

And we're all done!
    [​IMG]

All that is left is to spot putty and sand the head, then prime it and paint it. I'll tackle that later tonight/tomorrow. Then I'll finish up the stand, and it will be ready for the prop party on Saturday!

superyesway likes this.
  18. Kevin Gossett

Here is an updated picture of the hammer sitting on the unfinished base (from the NTX prop party this weekend)

[​IMG]

Just need to finish shaping the base and paint it!

19. Kevin Gossett

...and painted today! Just need to add some trim to finish the base and paint it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man that turned out pretty cool. I've been working on doing something similar to mine but I had been doing it with just a pvc pipe handle. Where did you get the leather for this? I'd like to give it a shot.

21. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I really like this build, very cool.

22. Kevin Gossett

The leather came from Tandy's, from their scrap bin actually... They sell it by the pound, so it wasn't much at all

23. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool thank you. Do you actually have to go to their shop or can you get the same stuff online?

24. Kevin Gossett

Oh, sure... You can get any kind of leather from them by the square foot from their site. As far as scraps go, you can buy a "remnant bag" online, but that is a crapshoot on what you'll get, and if you'll get matching pieces. If you have a store near you, I would think that would be your best bet

25. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool project :cool I particularly like what you did with the wooden box (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

26. yeek

yeek Member

Totally excellent job Kevin, the hammer and base look great...

27. CynisKaden

CynisKaden New Member

Im using your build for my inspiration as well, but tell me how did you accomplish those stiches? and what type of lacing is it, and lastly what is holding the leather to the wood? Thanks again!

28. Kevin Gossett

I just got some simple leather lacing at Hobby Lobby. I punched holes in each piece, then super glued one end of the lacing to the underside of one piece. I then threaded the lace through each hole like I was lacing a shoe. On the last hole I super glued to the underside again to complete the stitching.

To attach to the wood, I slid the laced piece onto the handle into position, then placed a couple drops of super glue under the leather. Easy!

29. Keyser

Keyser Member

Loving the pics!!!

With regard to the handle, did the table leg have a screw in the end for you to attach it to the head or did you use some adheasive?

I was thinking of painting the hammer head on mine but like the black highlights so I'm not sure which way to go now. :confused

Cool job on the "mud". Did you use a brown gloss?

30. Kevin Gossett

Thanks! Hopefully they can help you out :)

To attach the handle I drilled a quarter inch hole into the top of the handle, and then inserted a quarter inch dowel that was glued in place. The dowel then went into the head, into a hole that was drilled into the foam, and glued in place there.

For the mud, I painted it with a base coat of tan, then the brown, and then used black for lowlights

31. Joseph Stark

Joseph Stark New Member

awesome.....!!!!

32. Davence

Davence Guest

Awesome prop, * well done!

33. grey matter

grey matter Active Member

really nice!
    how did you fill in the/smooth out the mold seams on the base hammer head?
    also, what paint did you use? looks great!

34. Kevin Gossett

I trimmed down the seams with an exacto, then sanded, and skimmed the surface with spot putty to smooth everything out. For paint, I primed it, put on a basecoat of silver, and then topped it off with a light dusting coat of a darker Gunmetal to give more of a stone look

35. Ashiva

Ashiva Member

What foam did you use? I was thinking of filling mine in and making a "mud" base myself, but I have no idea what type of foam to use/get or where from. Was it the same foam for both filling in the hammer and making the base? And what kind was it? Great job none the less!!

36. Ashiva

Ashiva Member

Bump to find out the foam you used please. Lookin to do the same to mine

37. Kevin Gossett

I used 'Great Stuff' expandable foam. You can find it pretty much anywhere. I got mine at Lowes, but I've seen it at Wal-Mart too

38. MwNN

MwNN Member

Nice pics and thanks for the steps on "how to".
    Mjolnir turned out great!

39. Kevin Gossett

I just realized I never posted a pic here of the updated handle!

[​IMG]

40. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Seems like it's a classic trinity ! The exact three props I'm making for myself :)
    But how did you achieve such a clean result with the leather straps on Mjolnir ? Every single one of the eleven I got on my hammer are slightly different, despite all my efforts when cutting them... I even lost (temporarily I hope !) all feeling in the tip in my finger by holding the scissors so tight !
    Anyway, great work on all three of them !

41. Kevin Gossett

I worked a good bit on the pattern before I made any cuts. Once I was happy with it I traced the pattern on to the leather for each piece. Then I cut them all out, checking each one to make sure everyrhing matched up. I was happy with the result!

Once I saw the screen used hammer though, I opted for a solid piece of leather with the silver sections added on top (using the same pattern and a silver sharpie! :lol)

42. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

Now that is a good idea!! With the disguise mjolnir I have noticed its about 16" in length how much long is your handle compared the original one?

Thanks Chris

43. Kevin Gossett

When the Profiles In History auction catalog came out, it had the exact dimensions, so i based it off that. Surprisingly enough, the Disguise hammer is pretty spot on I regards to size

44. Chris27989

you saying that shocks me as the SU prop looks a lot bigger then 16" but awesome as this is next on my long list of replicas but its a fair cheap conversion

45. R2Dan

R2Dan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice conversion, but I'd work on the paint/look of the "mud"... I'm sorry to say, but it literally looks like crap. And I'm not saying that to bash it. Maybe add some Structure to it and take a less brown approach for the finish?! Just trying to be helpful

46. Kevin Gossett

:lol

So funny you say that, my wife said the same thing! Since that picture was taken I have roughed it up a bit and repainted with more black areas. I would like to add some dirt to give it some texture too, at some point.

47. Chris27989

48. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is indeed a very good idea ! I'll keep it in mind if something goes wrong when glueing my straps.

49. Darth Sparrow

Darth Sparrow New Member

This is so awesome. I think I am going to attempt this for a b-day gift for my buddy. He made himself an AMAZING foam Thor Armor, with no templates mind you, and cape. The only thing that wasnt great was his hammer. His Bday is next month so I better get working :)

50. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

This is a great mod. Thanks for confirming that the size is almost perfect. My wife pointed out these at Toy R Us just a few days ago... So I have something other than Captain America to work on.

Is your shield a steel saucer painted movie style? I have one on the way from Amazon and hope to do similar.

All you need is Nick Fury's pistol and you have the making of the Avengers desk.
    Edit:http://www.tomspinadesigns.com/custom-themed-furniture-The-Avengers-Movie-prop-desk.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012