Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

The dowel I used to make the new handle extends all the way to the top of the hammer inside... I drilled out a hole in the expanding foam and glued it in place

Of course! I need to engage my brain before opening my mouth! Now I feel such a dumb ass for asking the question! Thanks for getting back so quick!

The Duplicolor Metalcast Chrome very shiny but does show alot of prints, especially where my hand touches at the intersection of the head and the handle.

Kevin, Did you seal your paint? I really don't want to reduce the luster with a coat of Future.

Also added an acrylic wash to bring out the runes.

Mjolnir2.jpg

No seal, but I also didn't go for the shiny look either. Plus, with it only being a display piece I didn't feel the need

Kevin
I've been looking at all these threads for ideas and inspiration and I have only just realised that you updated the handle! I like the idea of this route covering the entire handle as I can get hold of some gun metal coloured leather cord which could create raised grips. However I was interested to know how you fixed the leather and what the seam looks like? Does it stand out? I know I'll never get perfection but I am trying to be as best informed as I can before starting my project!
Thanks

Here is a better picture.

IMG_20120719_062308.jpg

I wrapped the leather around the dowel before cutting it to size so I knew exactly how wide it needed to be. Then I punched holes and laced it up, making sure to pull the leather cord tight every few passes to eliminate gaps

Here is a better picture.

IMG_20120719_062308.jpg

I wrapped the leather around the dowel before cutting it to size so I knew exactly how wide it needed to be. Then I punched holes and laced it up, making sure to pull the leather cord tight every few passes to eliminate gaps

That looks great Kevin. Thanks for sharing that picture! I love the way everybody is here to help each other on this forum!

When I get round to mine I'll be sure to share a picture!

Thank you so much for the tip off. I raced around to three Targets just to find one. I was going to give up after the 3rd one but I got there and found one sitting away from the Thor costumes. I lucked out and got the very last one!! Cheers :)

I wouldn't have bothered getting one but this build thread inspired me, the final result looks incredible!!!

Last edited:
This was a crazy find! And spectacular job modding! I dont have time to shop around so I ordered one online.

Anyone else needing the hammer but can't find one (like me) I got it from: buycostumes.com.
Found some coupons online too so it ended up being $10.00 :D

So, anyone who can't find one, I'd suggest getting it there. Ahh, yes, you can also get 30 day trial, free shipping, with the ShopRunner.com add on there. Be wary that there IS a $80 fee when the trial is over. So watch out for that! But with Halloween arriving, I buy tons of online stuff, I thought I'd give it a try anyways.

Thanks for sharing your project! It really inspired me to mod one myself! :D

I have a quick question! So, after digging around in my grandfather's garage, I found some Great Stuff expanding foam. Question is, how much does this stuff expand? 2x? 5x? 10x? I'd just rather not fill it plum full and have a football on my hands.

Absolutely don't fill it completely! It is best to fill a little bit at a time. Spray some in, let it expand and cure, and then spray some more. It will expand more than you think :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back