Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

Anyone plan on modding the hammer with a new, custom "Avengers" style handle?
Yes, I think the Avengers handle may be easier than the original for people more inclined to work metal than leather.

The crazier thought is putting magnets in the hammer so there is increased resistance but no increase in weight when someone tries to remove it from the base. Wonder how many would stop because they are unworthy. :lol
Yes, the whole thing would come off your desk but oh well.

Last edited:
Kevin, did you use hot water to shrink the leather tight around the new handle?
Also, is the Disguise handle the correct length?
If so wonder if the exterior can be wrapped in leather and then the little metal bands attached to the original handle with a dowel shoved up the middle to tighten it all up.

Didn't shrink the leather, just cut it to the right width for my dowel and sewed it up while it was wrapped around. Wasn't easy, but it's a nice tight fit.

As for the length, I believe it is short compared to the movie version. It was just easier to cut a new dowel to the proper length

Little thin, but just got a 12.5 inch long 1.25 inch dowel "clothing rod" for no cost and have just enough leftover leather from the rescue jacket pocket mod to this.

Other than the hammer, this is going to be a zero cost project.

Zero cost that is if I can keep the knife from getting stuck in my fingertips.

On my hammer one end is perfect, the other end is concave.
When you used the expanding foam, did you need to change the shape of your ends?

There was the slightest bit of a depression in one end along the seam line, but I smoothed that over with spot putty. Because I had it in the wooden box the foam didn't alter the shape at all

Build the wooden box or you will end up with Thor's mighty football. :lol
I used cardboard wrapped in 100mph tape and that worked for the expanding foam last night. I pulled the form off this morning but the hammer had a void where the foam had bubbled out of the top so I dumped in some plaster of paris without the box and tape.
The head weighs great but not shaped all that well. :cry

New Hammer Time.

Yes, build the box and shore up the runes and 45 degree sides.

Using a 4x4 post and metal hook, was able to salvage the head.

Bashed the head square with the 4x4 post and then dug everything out with the metal hook.

Really surprised it survived.

Kevin,

Thanks again for this mod. Here is the finished product. Ended up being 4.2 pounds.

Mjolnir1.jpg

Kevin
Great works man, your photos have given me some hope that I can achieve this myself!
One question if I may, when you removed the handle, how easy and what method did you use to reattach your (new) handle? I'm uncertain as to reattach and make it strong a bond.
Cheers

The dowel I used to make the new handle extends all the way to the top of the hammer inside... I drilled out a hole in the expanding foam and glued it in place

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back