Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1 Lightsaber Design

you can see the underside of the emitter plate....
Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 10.55.20 PM.png

Very cool.

Question: what's the finish like? I'd always assumed from photos and the old Larbel replicas that they were a gloss/mirror finish. The Romans replicas give them a matte finish that's so dull they look frosted. Which end of that spectrum are they closer to?

unless I'm mistaken, they're anodized

Yup, they are the typical red hard anodized finish. Here are some parts with a similar anodized finish:

015C8FA1-1F71-4CA1-AB73-03E2723E1C4B.png

204FD75A-F63D-4207-9EDA-4575BBFDCA4B.png

Note that these parts are not at all related to the correct “blanking caps”, they’re just similar aerospace parts with an equivalent anodize specification (MIL-A-8625 for the above).

Very cool.

Question: what's the finish like? I'd always assumed from photos and the old Larbel replicas that they were a gloss/mirror finish. The Romans replicas give them a matte finish that's so dull they look frosted. Which end of that spectrum are they closer to?

The matte finish on Roman's replicas indicates aggressive bead blasting prior to anodizing. For a proper finish, they should go straight from machining to anodizing. The as-machined finish will give them the appropriate glossier look once they're anodized.

Tom invest in some soft jaws, will help you from damaging soft metals
thanks! ? I don't know what this is in reference to haha I did damage two brass barbs making my part... that was because I miscalculated the thickness of my dremel cutting wheel and how my drill press shifts as I push down

soft jaws are a great idea though

Looks gorgeous! Just to clarify, the objective of this run is to be geometrically accurate, but not necessarily materially accurate? I don’t remember what the final verdict was on resin grips verses other easier materials.

Looks gorgeous! Just to clarify, the objective of this run is to be geometrically accurate, but not necessarily materially accurate? I don’t remember what the final verdict was on resin grips verses other easier materials.

Since it’s not feasible to do resin casting for the black parts, they will be machined acetal plastic (aka Delrin). The remaining parts will be aluminum, brass, steel, etc. as appropriate.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back