Detolf go BOOM!

That's a shocking sight to be greeted with when entering your collection space.
I'm assuming nothing in the vicinity was damaged by the glass?

Mate that is frightening. I have a friend who's glass outdoor table did the same thing in a sudden weather change. It just exploded. I think you have to live in Melbourne to understand just how quickly..and often, our weather can change.

The weather was insane that night, I was checking the radar on the phone as it happened, it was constantly all red.

You have a beautiful collection and I am glad nothing else was damaged. I can't say I have much confidence in my Detolfs now!

I've been on collectors forums for years and I would venture easily hundreds of Detolf owners frequent them, the big thing that causes trouble is people assembling the supports backwards such that the shelves can fall. (it should be keyed such that this cannot be installed improperly) Or overloading the shelves well passed their weight limit.
I live in an interesting area, mine have survived earthquakes, frequent vibrations from overflying helicopters, fireworks. my own stupidity, I also have put heavier items on the top for years now. I'm pretty confident in them so far. Knock wood.

Plus a single side glass failure, sucks yeah, but the shelves are not impacted so nothing should fall.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I checked out the Ikea website and there's a little disclaimer regarding the glass...

Tempered glass should be handled with care! A damaged edge or a scratched surface can cause the glass to break suddenly. However, only into small pieces, never into sharp fragments.
DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - beech effect - IKEA

So I must have had a small chip or scratch and it just let go on me. I'm pretty sure that I didn't over tighten it, probably just enough to make sure it's not wobbly, but the idea that the recesses were off or the glass was a smidgen too large makes sense. When I have it apart, I'll do some measurements and fix it if anything's off.

The room's under the roof line, but not accessible from the house, you enter off the verandah and you need a 6 digit code to get in, so I'm pretty sure that nobody did it.

But Vader does look a bit guilty, maybe it was him :lol

Question though,how do you have such a cool retreat but only go in there every couple of months?With such cool displays I'd want to be in there all the time.

Ben

Ben!!! Yeah, I know it's weird huh? I'm not happy with the layout. I walk in there, look at it for a few minutes, get frustrated and walk out again. Now I just avoid the place. Also, the heating vent is practically useless too, so it's freezing in winter.

This wasn't meant to be a show off thread, but these were taken a few months ago. As you can see, it's being used for storage too, I need to figure out where to put it all...

Mess.jpg

I need to do the HIC, at the moment, it's just duct taped to a board...
HIC.jpg

The racing computer needs to go elsewhere, it's a bit of an eyesore...

Corner.jpg

I need to figure out how to make the cabinet more appealing...

Aliens.jpg

This just looks cluttered...

Screen.jpg

It's hell I tell ya... HELL! I know, I know, poor me :$:lol

No idea how something like that could happen, but mate you have a great collection. :thumbsupWhat are the makers of your helmets?

Thanks for the compliment Mate :)

All the helmets on the cabinet are made by an OZ maker called TPE. The Vader is a GH and the 2 Vader's on the other Detolf are a 20thC and a "Mystery" that was sent to OZ many years ago. It looks a lot like a Fyberdyne, but there are differences too, it's weird.

Sorry to veer off topic slightly, but that is a very nice AT-AT driver lid.
Could you say who the maker is?

Sure thing, it's a TPE (The Plastic Empire) a maker here in Australia. My flight helmet (seen on the bottom right in the cabinet pic above) was the base helmet. Actually, my NAVY talker was used to make their Rebel Fleet and Imperial Gunner too.

Thanks again for your responses everyone :)

Cheers,

Kraig

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Detolf and the glass they provide with the case here in the states anyway is VERY think and heavy so it must have been a large hit to break that glass for sure .

Yikes. Makes me think I should take my Detolfs out of the garage. Granted, they aren't even put together yet but still. If temperature fluctuations can cause that mine may already be toast.

Yikes. Makes me think I should take my Detolfs out of the garage. Granted, they aren't even put together yet but still. If temperature fluctuations can cause that mine may already be toast.

They aren't under under tension just sitting in the box, I wouldn't be concerned.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned, so far I'm the only one on here that it's happened to and I'd bet my bottom dollar that a lot of folks here own them.

Mic, at least I don't make them wear gimp suits anymore... I mean... not that I ever did or anything... I was just kidding... yeah, ummmm, kidding... aha... ha... ha...:unsure

:lol

Anyway, thanks for the compliments on the props folks :)

Cheers,

Kraig

Small scratch or ding on any part of the edge of the glass along with temperature variations = kaboom. I have sandblasted enough glass to know not to blast too close to the edges (learned the hard way). I had done a 4'x8' panel with elaborate chemical etching and sandblasting with part of it carrying to the edge. It turned out fantastic. While waiting to be picked up, direct sunlight hit the lower corner of it and moments later -- gone. I ended up redoing it but this time stopping the design 1" short of the edge -- success. Tempered (hardened) is designed to shatter into little bits instead of large shards like plate glass.

Now give the rundown on the guitars!

BTW, who pantsed the Stormtrooper?

Doug

Thanks Doug, I reckon that's what's happened, a small ding or scratch that I didn't see.

However, my problem is a minor inconvenience. What happened to you would've been really upsetting, especially after all that work you put in, I think I would've gotten drunk that night.

About the guitars, I used to work in music wholesale and all the instruments were checked before going out. Being the warehouse manager, I told the guitar techs, that if anything outstandingly good came in, put it aside for me to have a look at and anything that I liked I bought. A few of us used to jam at my joint regularly, that's why I have so many. But sadly I've either lost contact with them or they've moved out of town.

I think the Tusken pantsed the Stormie :lol

Cheers,

Kraig

Thanks Doug, I reckon that's what's happened, a small ding or scratch that I didn't see.

However, my problem is a minor inconvenience. What happened to you would've been really upsetting, especially after all that work you put in, I think I would've gotten drunk that night.

About the guitars, I used to work in music wholesale and all the instruments were checked before going out. Being the warehouse manager, I told the guitar techs, that if anything outstandingly good came in, put it aside for me to have a look at and anything that I liked I bought. A few of us used to jam at my joint regularly, that's why I have so many. But sadly I've either lost contact with them or they've moved out of town.

I think the Tusken pantsed the Stormie :lol

Cheers,

Kraig

Yeah it was a major bummer for sure. :cry

Sounds like you had the pick of the litter on those guitars!
Man I'd wouldn't mind visiting to jam a bit, but my playing is still at the painful stage (a little over a year in now) and I wouldn't want to make anyone suffer that bad. One day a few years from now I may come knockin'. I'd even bring some pants for the stormie!

Doug

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back