Completed: Star Trek Voyager Type 2 Boomerang Phaser

Alyosius

New Member
Hello all,

First crack at a replica prop and I've gone with a ST:VOY Type 2 phaser. I've called it done at this point, it passes the 6ft test but definitely a first model with alot of learning points.

I've started by resin 3d printing all the parts (model isn't mine, came from Thingiverse) . And here is my first learning point. While I've been 3d printing for some time, I'm very new to resin printing, so I'm still learning how to optimise the settings to get the best outcome. With this I made 2 errors, first I made the supports too thick, and I removed them the wrong way - this left bumps and pitting all over parts of the model.
scaled_image (4).jpg


I've the attacked it with sandpaper and modelling putty to try and solve some of the bumps and pitting. Definitely had some success, but not nearly as much as I wanted. I suspect I'm not using the modelling putty correctly (thinning it too much or something similar) because despite multiple coats, I wasn't able to fill some of the holes.
20230513_175923.jpg


In the interests of time (and life getting in the way) I pushed forward. I gave everything a airbrushed black primer coat before airbrushing the individual colours on as required before finally gluing it together.
Second major lesson here - the Vallejo black primer doesn't bond perfectly with the resin 3d print and can be removed with masking tape.

20230515_165135.jpg


It got a couple of coats, with sanding inbetween before I glued everything together.
Also use the right glue, don't just use modelling cement because that's the only thing you've got lying round and realise too late that it will eat away at the paint.....
20230521_150915.jpg


Given the failures I had and the end result, I decided not to go ahead (at least at the moment) with weathering it, instead focusing my time on other things.

Overall I'm happy with it, it is a nice thing to have on my desk at work as a conversation piece and I suspect I'm the only one who is going to look as critically at it as I am doing.
Was definitely a fun first hit out and learning experience though!
 

Attachments

  • 20230515_165135.jpg
    20230515_165135.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 66
Regarding your problem with the paint no taking to the surface, did you wash the resin parts with washing up liquid prior to priming them?
A surface film of uncured resin is often the cause of painting problems.
 
Regarding your problem with the paint no taking to the surface, did you wash the resin parts with washing up liquid prior to priming them?
A surface film of uncured resin is often the cause of painting problems.
So I'm fairly sure that isn't the issue. My work flow is that I'll give my parts an IPA bath then a water bath, leave out in the open to dry, then cure under UV.
I was having some difficulty early on with uncured resin, and this was the work flow I adopted to fix that.

Also as I was doing the green putty there were multiple putty-sand-putty-sand cycles so even if there was some uncured resin I suspect that should have removed it.

My gut feeling is twofold - firstly I needed to thin out the primer to airbrush it on, it's quite possible I did something wrong then, and/or I didn't wait long enough for it to fully cure on one or more layers.
Or the paint I used just doesn't adhere properly to resin - though I think that's less likely than user error
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back
Top