Detolf go BOOM!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by yakcam, Nov 9, 2011.

1. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

We've had some pretty rough weather over the last couple of days, lots of thunder, lightening and rain. I thought that I had better check the retreat where I keep the props to make sure no water got in and discovered this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've owned it for a few years and it's been sitting in that spot for over two years, so this was a bit of a surprise and not what I expected to see, that's for sure. It can be a couple of months between going in there, so it could've happened at any time. Has anyone seen this happen before?

Cheers,

Kraig

2. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Yeah, dodgy swedish workmanship.:lol
    i live in Melbourne to Kraig and was feeling the same, hope none of your props were damaged.

Sweeeeeeet colloction by the way.

3. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Hey fellow Melbournian!!!

Yeah, it was pretty rough weather wasn't it...

Thanks for the compliment on the stuff, luckily none of it was damaged in the storm. Some water did get in (drain couldn't cope) but it was minimal.

Cheers,

Kraig

4. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First time I've heard of that happening.
    Something must have been overstressed,
    maybe some part was not built to proper spec.

5. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

"proper spec"?

DUDE! Its Ikea. :behave

6. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow that's unexpected. Never seen it before. Question though,how do you have such a cool retreat but only go in there every couple of months?With such cool displays I'd want to be in there all the time.

Ben

7. CessnaDriver

I've assembled and own eight, the parts were consistant over the years as far as fit. I could see if glass were slightly longer on one side this could happen.

8. Skor

Skor Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mine Deltof frequently makes a freaky 'THUNK' sound in the evenings. It scares the crap out of me each time.

Now I'm worried because my hamster has his cage next to it... I may have to move him :(

9. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that is weird.

Temperature fluctuations ?

I do however see what seems to be a 'centre of impact' there.

10. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

No idea how something like that could happen, but mate you have a great collection. :thumbsupWhat are the makers of your helmets?

11. matrox75

matrox75 New Member

Vader did it......wow, have 10 Detolf cabinets for over 5 years, no problem. mate, so lucky nothing got damaged. Cool props!

12. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

That's all I can think of...I had a car window shatter do to, apparently, mere temp fluctuation.

If something had hit it in one place, I don't think you'd get that pattern of small chunks of glass throughout, but rather toward the edges, away from the impact, the shards would grow larger/less fragmented. Unless the Detolf is safety glass?!

13. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Are you sure the kids haven't got in there or something? It looks like something has hit it to me.

14. RacerMachX

RacerMachX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like the break started around the middle of the cabinet by the at driver helmet.
    Maybe it needs the door panel installed as a extra support.
    Just speculating.

15. CessnaDriver

Every Detolf I own does this for a while especially after first assembling. Over time they tend to settle in though and I rarely hear it now.

16. tahenytouchup

tahenytouchup Member

Are you sure the wife wasn't getting back at you for something lol....looks like a hit to me too. That's a bummer whatever did it...good thing they're only $60 :).

Now that's a man cave....Love the Vader!

17. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hate to say it but my guess is this ^^^.
    Even if you don't have kids, is there ANY possibility that someone could have gotton down there, accidently broke it and knowing that this is a very high dollar collection, sneaked out of there out of fear that this case may cost thousands of dollars.
    If you have kids, well, kids will be kids. I don't know ANY kid that would have broken that and immidiately run upstairs to tell you what they did...I don't care how good your child is, that's just a natural reaction for them. "Oh, crap! I'm going to get in SO much trouble!!! Run away and play innocent, they never suspect me!"

18. Contec

Contec Master Member

Clearly it was Vader who did it.

19. CessnaDriver

Since you'll be taking it apart...
    Maybe try to see if the grooves in the wood were cut the same depth on both sides or some kind of problem.
    We know the Detolfs were not being produced for a while. Perhaps there was some flaw was why.
    Might be worth seeing if Ikea will do you a solid with a replacement or something.

20. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My detolfs expand and contract with temperature fluctuations. When I turn up the heat in the mornings....they clunk and pop.

21. amish

amish Sr Member

It does look like it was struck near the middle. Nice collection though :)

22. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

That's a shocking sight to be greeted with when entering your collection space.
    I'm assuming nothing in the vicinity was damaged by the glass?

23. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had mine over tightened when I first put it together. Could that have the problem?

Nick

24. Yorkie Fett

Yorkie Fett Well-Known Member

Sorry to veer off topic slightly, but that is a very nice AT-AT driver lid.
    Could you say who the maker is?

25. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

Mate that is frightening. I have a friend who's glass outdoor table did the same thing in a sudden weather change. It just exploded. I think you have to live in Melbourne to understand just how quickly..and often, our weather can change.

The weather was insane that night, I was checking the radar on the phone as it happened, it was constantly all red.

You have a beautiful collection and I am glad nothing else was damaged. I can't say I have much confidence in my Detolfs now!

26. CessnaDriver

I've been on collectors forums for years and I would venture easily hundreds of Detolf owners frequent them, the big thing that causes trouble is people assembling the supports backwards such that the shelves can fall. (it should be keyed such that this cannot be installed improperly) Or overloading the shelves well passed their weight limit.
    I live in an interesting area, mine have survived earthquakes, frequent vibrations from overflying helicopters, fireworks. my own stupidity, I also have put heavier items on the top for years now. I'm pretty confident in them so far. Knock wood.

Plus a single side glass failure, sucks yeah, but the shelves are not impacted so nothing should fall.

27. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I checked out the Ikea website and there's a little disclaimer regarding the glass...

DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - beech effect - IKEA

So I must have had a small chip or scratch and it just let go on me. I'm pretty sure that I didn't over tighten it, probably just enough to make sure it's not wobbly, but the idea that the recesses were off or the glass was a smidgen too large makes sense. When I have it apart, I'll do some measurements and fix it if anything's off.

The room's under the roof line, but not accessible from the house, you enter off the verandah and you need a 6 digit code to get in, so I'm pretty sure that nobody did it.

But Vader does look a bit guilty, maybe it was him :lol

Ben!!! Yeah, I know it's weird huh? I'm not happy with the layout. I walk in there, look at it for a few minutes, get frustrated and walk out again. Now I just avoid the place. Also, the heating vent is practically useless too, so it's freezing in winter.

This wasn't meant to be a show off thread, but these were taken a few months ago. As you can see, it's being used for storage too, I need to figure out where to put it all...

Mess.jpg

I need to do the HIC, at the moment, it's just duct taped to a board...
    HIC.jpg

The racing computer needs to go elsewhere, it's a bit of an eyesore...

Corner.jpg

I need to figure out how to make the cabinet more appealing...

Aliens.jpg

This just looks cluttered...

Screen.jpg

It's hell I tell ya... HELL! I know, I know, poor me :$:lol

Thanks for the compliment Mate :)

All the helmets on the cabinet are made by an OZ maker called TPE. The Vader is a GH and the 2 Vader's on the other Detolf are a 20thC and a "Mystery" that was sent to OZ many years ago. It looks a lot like a Fyberdyne, but there are differences too, it's weird.

Sure thing, it's a TPE (The Plastic Empire) a maker here in Australia. My flight helmet (seen on the bottom right in the cabinet pic above) was the base helmet. Actually, my NAVY talker was used to make their Rebel Fleet and Imperial Gunner too.

Thanks again for your responses everyone :)

Cheers,

Kraig

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  28. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

All I can say about this collection is, HOLY ****!

29. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Fantastic collection!

Glad to hear that there was no damage to any pieces of your collection.

30. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

I have a Detolf and the glass they provide with the case here in the states anyway is VERY think and heavy so it must have been a large hit to break that glass for sure .

31. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

You leave your props alone in a building all by themselves?

Don't they get lonely?

That's cruel.

Poor props.

32. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yikes. Makes me think I should take my Detolfs out of the garage. Granted, they aren't even put together yet but still. If temperature fluctuations can cause that mine may already be toast.

33. CessnaDriver

They aren't under under tension just sitting in the box, I wouldn't be concerned.

34. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned, so far I'm the only one on here that it's happened to and I'd bet my bottom dollar that a lot of folks here own them.

Mic, at least I don't make them wear gimp suits anymore... I mean... not that I ever did or anything... I was just kidding... yeah, ummmm, kidding... aha... ha... ha...:unsure

:lol

Anyway, thanks for the compliments on the props folks :)

Cheers,

Kraig

35. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

Goodness what a collection! If you need somewhere safe to store anything let me know!

36. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Small scratch or ding on any part of the edge of the glass along with temperature variations = kaboom. I have sandblasted enough glass to know not to blast too close to the edges (learned the hard way). I had done a 4'x8' panel with elaborate chemical etching and sandblasting with part of it carrying to the edge. It turned out fantastic. While waiting to be picked up, direct sunlight hit the lower corner of it and moments later -- gone. I ended up redoing it but this time stopping the design 1" short of the edge -- success. Tempered (hardened) is designed to shatter into little bits instead of large shards like plate glass.

Now give the rundown on the guitars!

BTW, who pantsed the Stormtrooper?

Doug

37. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Thanks Doug, I reckon that's what's happened, a small ding or scratch that I didn't see.

However, my problem is a minor inconvenience. What happened to you would've been really upsetting, especially after all that work you put in, I think I would've gotten drunk that night.

About the guitars, I used to work in music wholesale and all the instruments were checked before going out. Being the warehouse manager, I told the guitar techs, that if anything outstandingly good came in, put it aside for me to have a look at and anything that I liked I bought. A few of us used to jam at my joint regularly, that's why I have so many. But sadly I've either lost contact with them or they've moved out of town.

I think the Tusken pantsed the Stormie :lol

Cheers,

Kraig

38. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Yeah it was a major bummer for sure. :cry

Sounds like you had the pick of the litter on those guitars!
    Man I'd wouldn't mind visiting to jam a bit, but my playing is still at the painful stage (a little over a year in now) and I wouldn't want to make anyone suffer that bad. One day a few years from now I may come knockin'. I'd even bring some pants for the stormie!

Doug

39. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Mate, you'd be more than welcome! BBQ, Beverages, talking props and a jam, sounds like quality time to me :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

Garthok likes this.