DESTINY 2 Whisper of the Worm Prop Sniper Gun

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

kinq

First time I've ever posted!
But I've been scouring the internet and have yet to find a helpful source- I'm creating a 150cm (length) replica of the Whisper of the Worm gun from Destiny 2 for a half going-away and half birthday present for my boyfriend.

As I said, it is massive, the largest project I've ever worked on and probably the most out of my comfort zone. This brings me to my questions, first question- I am 3D printing this monster with the help of a kind stranger off of Reddit, he told me that I'd need to add supports to the gun as parts of my model (see below) are pretty thin. I knew I needed supports, and was going to go and buy a wooden dowel to put down the barrel once the print was done, but he said that probably wouldn't be enough. Does anyone know what materials or structures I should put into the gun to make it sturdy enough? I thought of the dowel and expanding foam but I can't seem to find anything that says it would work. I'm also being to be putting LED tape inside of the barrel, but that may change for the sake of a sturdy prop.
My second question, has to do with the later stages of the prop. I've bought primer, putty, and a crap ton of sandpaper, but I'm unsure of what paints to use. Cosplayers who I've asked and who have made this prop have all suggested that I use enamel paints (car paints) and that I invest in an airbrush to apply them- does anyone know any techniques with these paints, airbrushed, or paint brands/products they suggest I purchase?

Whisper-of-the-worm.png
Whisper of the Worm Ref.jpg

3D Model Desired outcome

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.