Denuo Novo (only) New and existing products

It's inconsistent in the canon. The Fathead wall sticker shows that part to be black:

View attachment 1643786

The animated version in Resistance very clearly shows that bit to be white:

View attachment 1643787

The movie itself doesn't show them clearly enough, and I haven't found any pics of the costumes on display or at public events that show that side.
Isn't the Fathead wall sticker just an image of the actual costume? The life-size cardboard cut-out also uses an image from what appears to be the same photo shoot (but it's a different pose and you can't see that side of the helmet). If that's the actual costume, then I'd say it must be black.

Besides, Anovos/DN have frequently gotten small details similar to this wrong on other helmets so I wouldn't trust it to be correct. It's possible that the Anovos prototype images is the paint master, and somehow that detail was then missed during production.

Last edited:
The Fathead sticker looks more like a model or digital, so who's to say it's correct. Considering it's a black stripe extended from the dome of the helmet it seems like it should be white, but I would say based on this screenshot I just took it's black.

1670002621678.png

In my personal opinion, since the stripe is bounded on one side by the "temporal"/side piece of the helmet, ending at that seam, I think it looks best stopping at the other seams of that main top piece -- i.e., at the strip above the black brow trim and the strip above the black wraparound indent at lower back. It's one of those little æsthetic choices in the Sequel Trilogy that niggles me more than it might ought. Like Rey's lightsaber (it's flipped the wrong way, and I still think she should've made a saber-pike, given her fighting experience with that staff).
'
And the above screenshot is about the clearest it appears in the film -- motion blur and all. I don't 100% trust the Fathead stickers to not be "post-processed". I think they do at least minor image manipulation, for enhancement purposes, but I don't know, or what they'd settings they'd fiddle with, so I can't say. But, because I don't know, rather than know they don't, I can't swear by it. But between it and that one brief damn shot in the film, I think that brow band is black back to the trap.

Which, yes, is annoying that Resistance gets that wrong. While some of the overall people proportions are "Clone Wars slenderman", not all are, and they tend to err toward "photoreal" for the ships and droids and equipment. The First Order emblem on their shoulders is renedered in fine detail, with the right number of "teeth", the axes are exactly like the film props, all of the other armor details are captured pretty accurately... But that bit of the brow band isn't black on either of them.

The Fathead sticker looks more like a model or digital, so who's to say it's correct. Considering it's a black stripe extended from the dome of the helmet it seems like it should be white, but I would say based on this screenshot I just took it's black.

View attachment 1643940
It definitely looks black to me there. The height of it is too thick to just be the black brow trim.
That screenshot is clear enough to settle it.

I agree the TLJ screenshot has the black. I think the lines look better not having that part black, but would prefer the DN helmet to be screen accurate anyway.

I sent DN an email asking about the discrepancy between the photos on the product page and the helmet I received. I haven't received a response yet other than saying it was forwarded to the brand manager.

*chuckle* I wonder if they had any idea the world of hurt they were getting into with people like us holding them to the standards they claim. As I mentioned over in my FOTK thread, I don't know if LFL changed it for TLJ for some reason, but, assuming not, Anovos screwed up the greaves on that kit. The thighs and calves of the film suits both have the inner seams overlapped front-over-back, and the outer seams butted but with inner mounting plates that are back-over-front. The Anovos -- and now DN -- kit has that glue tab on the back piece for the calves, making that outer seam front-over-back instead. Just one more thing I'll have to deal with. I'm curious how much Anovos screwed up in prototyping, or, assuming that part was okay, how much information they failed to pass along to Denuo Novo...

They discussed the fans over-analyzing the products in the recording that was posted a few pages back. He mentioned that Lucasfilm gives the final okay on the product.

Hot Toys, Fathead, Kotobukiya and probably a number of other manufacturers have it in black. The only one I can see that doesn't is the Hasbro Black Series figure.

1670075761227.png

They get stuff wrong like this all the time.

Like how the edge of the bottom opening of their Shore trooper is painted black, whereas the Anovos and screen used helmets had it painted beige.

When Anovos first started shipping the V2 Shore trooper, I saw 3 people receive them without the red emblem on the forehead.

Then there's how the black details on the ears of their Mando helmet are gloss black instead of matte black. On the V1 Anovos they were a matte black sticker instead of actually being painted on.

Then there's things like how wide the visor is on Jango, which as discussed does not match the promo photos. Or how the Praetorian Guard helmet doesn't have enough visor slots cut out.

Anovos:

Screenshot_2022-12-03-10-15-37-98_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
Denuo Novo:

Screenshot_2022-12-03-10-14-48-63_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Last edited:
They discussed the fans over-analyzing the products in the recording that was posted a few pages back. He mentioned that Lucasfilm gives the final okay on the product.
The same Lucasfilm that sent the wrong Boba Fett helmet to Master Replicas and refused to admit error when it was pointed out to them? I feel like the prototypes should be run past the prospective customers and any experts who are called in to master parts or paint apps before any Lucasfilm approval. In my opinion, their approval isn't much better than someone who thinks they know it glancing at it and saying, "Yeah, that looks good".

Like... Why bother being the high end costuming licensee if you're not going to 1) do due diligence and/or 2) listen to the feedback of the people who know these pieces. One of the bigger things I'm looking at having to deal with with my FOTK is the helmet. Take a look at the underside of the original:

gallery_12157_64_35345.jpg

That offset goes all the way around, but narrower around the sides and back. It is utterly absent on the Anovos Standard Edition, at least. I have never handled a TFA Premiere or either TLJ iteration, but from what pictures I've seen that show that portion (and they seem to deliberately obscure the undercut), none of them have that offset. The Hasbro FOTK helmet, however, does. That seems like a big oops on Anovos' part, that should have been easily avoided. And Denuo Novo is working from their prototypes. I can correct it on mine, of course. I'm going to be pretty thoroughly dismantling my bucket, so marking and cutting and adding onto that innermost bit and epoxying it back in place to the inside of the cut edge is just another couple hours' work...

...But work I shouldn't have to do to a "high end" costume replica...

Hot Toys, Fathead, Kotobukiya and probably a number of other manufacturers have it in black. The only one I can see that doesn't is the Hasbro Black Series figure.
Guess it's the Resistance version. ;)

The same Lucasfilm that sent the wrong Boba Fett helmet to Master Replicas and refused to admit error when it was pointed out to them? I feel like the prototypes should be run past the prospective customers and any experts who are called in to master parts or paint apps before any Lucasfilm approval. In my opinion, their approval isn't much better than someone who thinks they know it glancing at it and saying, "Yeah, that looks good".

Like... Why bother being the high end costuming licensee if you're not going to 1) do due diligence and/or 2) listen to the feedback of the people who know these pieces. One of the bigger things I'm looking at having to deal with with my FOTK is the helmet. Take a look at the underside of the original:

View attachment 1644352

That offset goes all the way around, but narrower around the sides and back. It is utterly absent on the Anovos Standard Edition, at least. I have never handled a TFA Premiere or either TLJ iteration, but from what pictures I've seen that show that portion (and they seem to deliberately obscure the undercut), none of them have that offset. The Hasbro FOTK helmet, however, does. That seems like a big oops on Anovos' part, that should have been easily avoided. And Denuo Novo is working from their prototypes. I can correct it on mine, of course. I'm going to be pretty thoroughly dismantling my bucket, so marking and cutting and adding onto that innermost bit and epoxying it back in place to the inside of the cut edge is just another couple hours' work...

...But work I shouldn't have to do to a "high end" costume replica...

Guess it's the Resistance version. ;)
I didn't know it was Lucasfilm that sent the wrong helmet to MR. I always assumed it was MR's fault for being dumb.

I just checked my Anovos Premier helmet. It does have the undercut in the front. However, they added a rubber neck trim to the helmet which is obviously inaccurate since the originals don't have one. The undercut seems to disappear halfway around the helmet. I can't really feel it around the back through the rubber trim.

IMG20221203141149.jpg

I didn't know it was Lucasfilm that sent the wrong helmet to MR. I always assumed it was MR's fault for being dumb.

I just checked my Anovos Premier helmet. It does have the undercut in the front. However, they added a rubber neck trim to the helmet which is obviously inaccurate since the originals don't have one. The undercut seems to disappear halfway around the helmet. I can't really feel it around the back through the rubber trim.

View attachment 1644367

Just my humble opinion, but I love the trim at the bottom. I feel it's missing on my Clone 2 and Clone 3 trooper helmets.

I may be wrong, but let's be honest. That is unlikely. (y) :lol: :love:

Just my humble opinion, but I love the trim at the bottom. I feel it's missing on my Clone 2 and Clone 3 trooper helmets.

I may be wrong, but let's be honest. That is unlikely. (y) :lol: :love:
I kind of like the rubber trim even if it's wrong. It makes it feel more complete. I actually tried to remove it once and discovered a crack underneath it on mine. Their Phasma helmet also has it, which is also wrong.

Clone helmets are supposed to have extended neck rings. That's something not one licensed maker has ever bothered to get right.

The visor on the Praetorian Guard helmet is one that really bothers me.

You can see where the visor ends. The photo on the DN website has it correct. However, the product they ship out has the visor far too short, just like the original Anovos prototype. I really really wanted to order this from Denuo Novo but this killed it for me.

IMG_20221203_145352.jpg

Below are links to several auctions for screen used First Order helmets and a blaster. The helmet listings say they are cast in polyurethane. How does that compare to the plastic used for the standard line helmets?

Heritage Auctions: Original Screen Used "First Order Stormtrooper" Helmet from Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Heritage Auctions: Original Screen Used "First Order Stormtrooper Sonn-Blas F-11D Blaster Rifle" Illuminating Prop from Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Propstore: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (2017) - First Order Stormtrooper Helmet

Below are photos of helmets in my collection. The bottom ridge looks more rounded on the FO standard helmets and they do not have the black trim. The Premier FO helmets have a sharper ridge but it doesn't go very far around the helmet and they have the black trim. I included photos of the DN Clone Trooper helmet to show a fiberglass helmet that didn't come with black trim. I assume the black trim was added by Anovos to the fiberglass helmets either for safety or to be more similar to the OT TK helmet. Denuo Novo probably chose to keep the same basic design because Anovos already delivered First Order premier and standard helmets.

Unfortunately the standard helmets are lacking in some areas as far as detail compared to the screen used helmets. The fiberglass helmets have nicer features but I would say are idealized as far as materials. Ideally they would have sold helmets somewhere in between with the nicer details and features of the premier but made with materials closer to the screen used helmets.

Anovos-Standard-TFA.jpg

Anovos-Premier-TFA.jpg

Anovos-Standard-TLJ.jpg

Denuo-Novo-Premier-TLJ-Executioner.jpg

Denuo-Novo-Clone-Trooper-Phase-II.jpg

The film helmets have a very pronounced "offset" to that bit near the opening, all the way around. None of the Anovos/DN helmets capture it, but the HBS one does. Polyurethane covers a lot of ground... The thick, flexible material the armor was cast in, allowing the back and inner chest to be done in one piece... It's also one of the resins used in laying fiberglass, so it can be quite hard with the right catalyst/proportions. The Premier helmets are probably closer, materials-wise, but I'll take the ABS of the Standard. It's nice and light, and much more forgiving to work with. Appearance-wise, once I'm done, it will have the details punched up and be painted, so it won't look like it did out of the box, anyway. Here are some better contrasted images showing that offset...

gallery_12157_64_644074.jpg

gallery_12157_64_677897.jpg

large.1E41826D-FBE4-4566-BB98-88C791D6808A_zpsqj6vg5xp.jpg.9178f4f73a4bbc305d02e1b302ba66ce.jpg

The Denuo Novo site has sale prices again. 15% off helmets and 10% off other items with the normal shipping discounts. Sale ends December 20th.

Last edited:
Below are links to several auctions for screen used First Order helmets and a blaster. The helmet listings say they are cast in polyurethane. How does that compare to the plastic used for the standard line helmets?

Heritage Auctions: Original Screen Used "First Order Stormtrooper" Helmet from Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Heritage Auctions: Original Screen Used "First Order Stormtrooper Sonn-Blas F-11D Blaster Rifle" Illuminating Prop from Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
Propstore: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (2017) - First Order Stormtrooper Helmet

Below are photos of helmets in my collection. The bottom ridge looks more rounded on the FO standard helmets and they do not have the black trim. The Premier FO helmets have a sharper ridge but it doesn't go very far around the helmet and they have the black trim. I included photos of the DN Clone Trooper helmet to show a fiberglass helmet that didn't come with black trim. I assume the black trim was added by Anovos to the fiberglass helmets either for safety or to be more similar to the OT TK helmet. Denuo Novo probably chose to keep the same basic design because Anovos already delivered First Order premier and standard helmets.

Unfortunately the standard helmets are lacking in some areas as far as detail compared to the screen used helmets. The fiberglass helmets have nicer features but I would say are idealized as far as materials. Ideally they would have sold helmets somewhere in between with the nicer details and features of the premier but made with materials closer to the screen used helmets.

View attachment 1644518
View attachment 1644519
View attachment 1644521
View attachment 1644522
View attachment 1644523
When did you get the TLJ bucket? Do I need to email them and ask about my order?

When did you get the TLJ bucket? Do I need to email them and ask about my order?
I received the Executioner helmet on November 30th. If you ordered it directly from Denuo Novo, I doubt an email is needed. If it was a preorder from Anovos, you should email Denuo Novo. I don't remember if Anovos had Executioner helmets for preorder.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back