Death Star Turbolaser

TazMan2000

Master Member
Finally getting time to spend on the Turbolaser from Wasili. This will not be motorized with lights, just a static display. I thought about doing so, but I would have probably spent hundreds of dollars more on it an would have played with it for about an hour, then it would have spent the rest of its life on a shelf.
Wasili and others have researched this one impeccably and have reproduced the detail accurately in the kit. I also have the Salzo detail kit.

My kit will be a little different as I am incorporating gun elevation mechanism with a 3D print. Slots cut out in the kit set the position of the external elevation gets with inserting a styrene cut out.
IMG_1212.JPG

For the most part, it followed a circular path, but at the ends it flatted out to the superstructure. This also showed everything underneath as in wires and motors, which to me took a bit of the realism away from it. Since, if this was real, there would be thick metal and perhaps a seal that would prevent any debris or bits of destroyed ships from getting into the elevation mechanism. So I decided to design something a little different. I measured the arc and created a simple 3D elevation mechanism in TinkerCAD. The round "hubs" fit the cut out arc precisely. There was one problem though. The axis was lower than on the filming model. But the gun can elevate with its arc of rotation aligned with the gears. A trade-off toward film accuracy. Probably the first of many.

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

TazMan2000

Internal components finished. Shield is in place and rotates smoothly when installed. Parts loosened to show the rail the shield rides on.The barrel elevation can only go up to about 45 degrees, then the internal components will be visible, but that shouldn't be a problem, since the turbolaser barrels rarely elevated past 30-35 degrees. After I glue the elevation mechanism in, comes the fun part of greeblying.

IMG_1214.JPG

TazMan2000

Oh. I thought you were referring to some kitbashed parts that ILM used internally and was wondering who the heck has ID'ed them and where is the thread. :lol:
The internal components are just the mechanical ones I printed out, as the Turbolaser kit never came with the elevation mechanism, axle, or anything inside.

TazMan2000

I am SO watching this! I once thought that a turbo laser tower might be a simple and easy project, but the scratch builds that i have seen done over the years taught me something different ...

I had to tweak the 3D printed elevation mechanism to make it fit properly so as not to have too much separation or binding when moving. I also glued a turntable bearing to the top of the lower tower and printed a ring to hide that part. The gears, pictured below didn't take as long as I thought, but I still have to do the other side.
IMG_1217.JPG

TazMan2000

Not a big update. I 3D printed the gun mounts so that they sit centered on the tube (only partially seen in the photo). There is a LOT of Salzo casted parts that have to be sorted. Looking at the actual prop photos you really don't realize all the detail that went into it, until you start finding the one part that you need and gluing it to a particular spot. Generally the castings are good and picked up a lot of intricate detail, but there is always a need to fill in large bubble holes.

IMG_1223.JPG

TazMan2000

That's interesting. I wonder if it made it out of the SW universe and into anything else that the ILM model ship had a hand in.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back