Death Star Turbolaser

TazMan2000

Sr Member
A few more pictures of the top of the turret. Still need to put on the ladders, a couple of panels and the top and rear greeblies in additions to some parts on the bottom of the elevation mechanism. This is tedious but rewarding.

IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG






TazMan2000
 
Last edited:

TazMan2000

Sr Member
Finished most of the greeblies on the turbolaser tower. There is the "air-conditioner" mount (maybe two?) and its associated greeblies that need to get added on the top of the lower section of the tower, as well as the railing around the door. After that, onto the barrels.

IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG



TazMan2000
 

vectorzero

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just realised my reference shots of this miniature would be missed in a search because I've used neither 'turbo laser' nor 'turret' in the title. I've tagged it properly now.

Hope this link is of use.
 

TazMan2000

Sr Member
Just realised my reference shots of this miniature would be missed in a search because I've used neither 'turbo laser' nor 'turret' in the title. I've tagged it properly now.

Hope this link is of use.
Yes, it is. So much so that I think I may need to make a couple of changes. Thanks.

TazMan2000
 

TazMan2000

Sr Member
Thanks joberg and Wayne.

After going through the whole bag of Salzo greeblies, I noticed that I was shorted several key greeblies on the barrels. I really don't like making a casting of a casting, but in this case I guess I'll have to with several pieces. What a PITA.

The current state of the filming model has several pieces broken off of it. I couldn't understand how that could happen with such a valuable piece of movie history, until I started breaking pieces off on my own model, simply by moving it around on my workbench.

The filming model had several greeblies on the "air conditioner" mounts that were identified, but they weren't included in the initial run of greeblies. Since this model, at best, is only going to be about 98-99 percent studio accurate (maybe less, with the following pics), I am going to do the mounts, my way. (Imagine Frank Sinatra's "I did it my way" playing in the background). :lol:



IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG


TazMan2000
 

TazMan2000

Sr Member
Another update:
Feeling a bit worn out today, but still wanted to make headway on this project. So I bent the drilled out the holes for the brass railing and decided to use some of the sprue parts that rarely get used to make something.

IMG_1276.JPG


It may not be a convenient place to go #2, but guaranteed you will have some privacy. Unless the rebels come 'a calling.

TazMan2000
 

TazMan2000

Sr Member
As mentioned previously, I did not get a complete set of greeblies...which may be somewhat of a good thing, because after studying the filming prop, I noticed, ILM's choice was rather uninteresting. (Yes, I know they were probably in a rush to get some pieces built) So, I replaced the missing pieces with my choice of greeblies. I added more nurnies where I thought it was lacking, most notably in the back of the barrels as access panels. I'm happy with that, even though it is a bit less accurate. I still have to cast a few pieces on the front, but basically the model is built.

IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG




TazMan2000
 

anamorphicWayne

Well-Known Member
Lookin' Positively Great Taz!!!
Didn't realize there's so much detailing on this model. Coming along nicely. :cool:
Looking forward to the painting stage.
 

TazMan2000

Sr Member
Thanks Wayne. I still have to build the base for this, and painting....well, you know how I feel about that. It will go on the Waiting to Paint Shelf. Spring time is near so many I'll get the itch to paint rather than build.

TazMan2000
 

t2sides

Sr Member
WOW!!! Just WOW Taz!!!! This is AMAZING, and I love the little extras you've done with it. MOST IMPRESSIVE!
 
Top