Death Star Turbolaser

A few more pictures of the top of the turret. Still need to put on the ladders, a couple of panels and the top and rear greeblies in additions to some parts on the bottom of the elevation mechanism. This is tedious but rewarding.

IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Finished most of the greeblies on the turbolaser tower. There is the "air-conditioner" mount (maybe two?) and its associated greeblies that need to get added on the top of the lower section of the tower, as well as the railing around the door. After that, onto the barrels.

IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG

TazMan2000

Just realised my reference shots of this miniature would be missed in a search because I've used neither 'turbo laser' nor 'turret' in the title. I've tagged it properly now.

Hope this link is of use.

Thanks joberg and Wayne.

After going through the whole bag of Salzo greeblies, I noticed that I was shorted several key greeblies on the barrels. I really don't like making a casting of a casting, but in this case I guess I'll have to with several pieces. What a PITA.

The current state of the filming model has several pieces broken off of it. I couldn't understand how that could happen with such a valuable piece of movie history, until I started breaking pieces off on my own model, simply by moving it around on my workbench.

The filming model had several greeblies on the "air conditioner" mounts that were identified, but they weren't included in the initial run of greeblies. Since this model, at best, is only going to be about 98-99 percent studio accurate (maybe less, with the following pics), I am going to do the mounts, my way. (Imagine Frank Sinatra's "I did it my way" playing in the background). :lol:

IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG

TazMan2000

Another update:
Feeling a bit worn out today, but still wanted to make headway on this project. So I drilled out the holes for the bent brass railing and decided to use some of the sprue parts that rarely get used to make something.

IMG_1276.JPG

It may not be a convenient place to go #2, but guaranteed you will have some privacy. Unless the rebels come 'a calling.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, I did not get a complete set of greeblies...which may be somewhat of a good thing, because after studying the filming prop, I noticed, ILM's choice was rather uninteresting. (Yes, I know they were probably in a rush to get some pieces built) So, I replaced the missing pieces with my choice of greeblies. I added more nurnies where I thought it was lacking, most notably in the back of the barrels as access panels. I'm happy with that, even though it is a bit less accurate. I still have to cast a few pieces on the front, but basically the model is built.

IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG

TazMan2000

Thanks Wayne. I still have to build the base for this, and painting....well, you know how I feel about that. It will go on the Waiting to Paint Shelf. Spring time is near so many I'll get the itch to paint rather than build.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back