Death Star Surface Tiles

I have had a request from member GreatChewie about the 'scale' of the modules.

As we've discussed somewhere before its a bit tricky to determine, as the 'low altitude' model (which included the hero shots of the trench etc...) used versions of the modules from all 'altitudes' in order to give them more variety and texture.

The best thing to go on, I think, is the knowledge that when we see the shots of the ships in the trench, the trench is approximately one module (24") wide, and one and a half modules high (36"). The vertical walls seem to be placed 'outside' the tiles along the trench floor, so it may seem a little wider in places.

Next comes the personal opinion of how much room the ships had when they were flying down...we know they had Vader's TIE and one either side, and that when the TIE hits Vader then the wall, it doesn't move far, so it can't be much wider than these three ships.

Anyway, I have taken some photos of various scale ships against the modules I have made for comparison.

We have from left to right:

Fantasy Flight X-Wing Game - 1:270 scale

FineMolds - 1:72 Scale

F-Toys - 1:144 Scale

X- Wings and TIE Fighters with 12 inch modules

P1020028_zps8153888f.jpg

P1020018_zps19ea0cb5.jpg

X-Wings and TIE Fighters on 6 inch modules

P1020026_zps438ec542.jpg

P1020021_zps2695af63.jpg

Fantasy Flight Ships (1:270) on 12 inch module

P1020031_zps4ca59357.jpg

Fantasy Flight Ships (1:270) on 6 inch module

P1020039_zpsd8dd84c9.jpg

So there you go!

I think that in terms of movie accuracy, the 1:270 ships on the 12 inch modules are the closest...but I do think that maybe the 1:144 scale ships 'look' better on the 12 inch modules.

'Discuss' ;O)

minifig

Last edited:
Wow very nice !!!! Guess I know where my tax return is going. You need to stop making such cool stuff people !!! I am going broke !!!

@ Talkierg ... arrrrr the mysterious module 3!!!

Everytime I look at the few reference photos I have, it gives me the fear!

I am also not looking forward to having to split it up to fit in my vacuum chamber...although I might now have access to a larger one which will fit a 12" square in.

Still, I should just grab the few piccies I've got and knuckle down I suppose!

M

Hi there,

Yes, everything is still available...I haven't been on here for a while (and I didn't get a thread reply email?)

I need to put up a new thread in the classifieds section!

Just PM me with details and I can sort you out, or you could wait until I redo the for sale thread :O)

Minifig

Well...it's been while, but I've finally gotten around to finishing another module...unfortunately still not module3, but the 6" version of module 4.

It's up for sale along side the others in my junkyard thread, but here are a couple of pictures (not very exciting, cos its pretty much the same as the other module 4, just smaller!!!)

Next, I'm gonna move on to the 6" module 5 while I STILL look for reference for module 3.

Has nobody got any secret pictures from when the went to Disney World 15 years ago?...or their trip to Rancho Obi-Wan????

Minifig :$

Thank you VERY much...all pictures are ALWAYS useful, to me, and everyone else interested in the niche world of Death Star Modules!!!!!

Thanks again...and keep 'em coming ;)

M

Hi
Are you still producing sets of the 6" Tiles ?
I bought some from you a long time ago and would like some more as im doing a larger project now
All the best

Well the mould for the 6" version of module 1 gave up the ghost a few months ago, so I took the opportunity to update the pattern before I made a new mould. That module was one of the first I made, and some nice reference has come to light during that time, so the new version is much closer to the hero (low altitude) version than before (still ignored the panel lines though...sorry...:p )

Here are a couple of shots of the updated module...

Minifig

Im so impressed by these! Amazing accurate details! I'm tackling all 6 of the Low Altitude 2 foot tiles... and knowing the tiles like I do your work is perfect! They absolutely look like shrunken 2 foot tiles! Great job!

swpropmaker thank you so much for your kind words...I really wish the reference had been available at the time I started all this...but hey...at least I started!!!
Good luck with your project and I cant wait to see your progress...are you doing studio scale then?

Last edited by a moderator:
...VERY COOL swpropmaker ... I do wish I had the reference at the time to be able to do the proper panel lines, but I was just so far down the path I couldn't face doing it all again. I also never bothered with a lot of the draw angles on the main structural blocks, for the sake of speed and ease of construction, but that is a decision again that I regret :facepalm

It was only going to be a few months for me to make these...but it's ended up being almost 10 years!!!!!!! :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back