Death Star 2 Port Attack Diorama

A few days off for once, much more progress... :love

Got all twelve of the inner structures built. Started around the rest of the hole. Was scratching my head as to why the new alignment was off the more I added, then realized that I still had to cut the hole to final size. Got them tacked together and mostly aligned half way around... Also threw in a pic of the display area, as that is where I moved it to work on assembly easier. Kinda shows the massive size of this thing. More soon...

DS2_Build297_sm.jpg

Here goes nothing...!

Got all 12 structures tacked in to see if it would connect up... what a PITA. Got a couple to reposition, putty, sand, prime... rinse, repeat..., but they all basically fit. Only the tops are tacked in, so figured would get a pic before it falls in the hole, lol. When I get it all positioned right, then have to flip it and glue up all of the bottom connections. Math and guessing... it works pretty swell. Trying to get the structures done this month, then finally, on to the surface.

DS2_Build303_sm.jpg

Unreal Kevin.......all this time, i mean ALL this time....surely you have developed a twitch or two lol.........its nice to see it all sitting there though, just fantastic, intricate, painstaking work!

lee

daniel - yeah, I think working on it for several months, then putting it down for four months actually helps with the patience... it also gives me a chance inbetween to take a look from time to time and see if I screwed anything up... or say, "what was I thinking there...". So far, so good.

lee - I think my twitches have their own twitches... lol, especially on this last layer! Remember way back when I first suggested attempting this thing... I think the larger cutaway would have ultimately been much easier, but now that the whole port is coming together and actually physically there where I can look down the tunnel - damn satisfying. :lol Can't wait to get this baby pinned up and in primer so I can move onto the surface elements. At least I'm nearly past most of the painstaking parts of this.

Last edited:
This looks so great so far. The hairs in the back of my neck stand up when I see your progress pics.

I could imagine the finished product hanging from a vaulted ceiling, facing down at an oblique angle so people could look up into the Death Star shaft and see the ships traveling in it. Would look so cool.

Thanks. Vacation's coming... vacation's coming... have about a week blocked out to work on this after Christmas. Getting my bench all ready to work on the surface and tower. Doing some design and materials gathering now. Even moved my bench right next to the build as it was really getting inefficient for doing design and detail work being around the corner in the room. Should be posting progress again after Christmas...

Thanks. At least there's hope to finish it, finally...

Have been pouring through the Blu-ray for the surface details... thought this detail was funny - man did they cheat in a few spots to make the port align - at high-speed you dont notice it. Man - mine had to at least look symmetrical and aligned at no-speed passes... :lol

DS2_Build000_real-port-crooked-lol.jpg

Started laying out the general surface elements... some will need to be recessed into the surface. Other parts are just placeholders... been looking for my stash of Death Star tiles... had one set under the bench. Need to run to storage and see if I have them there. Just "cleaned" recently so now I can't find them... LOL. Also started design of the partial tower. On vacation, so will be working on general surface layout and positioning over the next couple of days, then another round of materials gathering.

I'm still at a loss trying to find my box of DS surface tiles I had collected for this... that's what I get for cleaning up storage over vacation... had a few at home, so...

Started layout and detail of the first section... needed a slightly rectangular grid with some height to it... found a gutter product that once turned inside out, was about exactly right. One was out of the box in the store so I got lucky... you wouldn't notice the grid from the outside. This general whole "area" of the layout will be sunk to the surface. Did I mention how much I've been looking forward to doing the surface part... :cool

DS2_Build309_sm.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back