Death Star 2 Port Attack Diorama

Randy13

Sr Member
Great find with that gutter guard. I always have that problem after I clean up an area I suddenly can’t find anything I need. I hope you can find your tiles soon. I can’t wait to see more of this awesomeness.

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Man I love this part... (when I get to work on it)...

Threw together some more surface tiling (some scratched) and the small tower structure in the lower right quadrant...

DS2_Build310_sm_zpse7c811b1.jpg

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks. Forgot to overlay the general "area shot" inspiration for that hunk... there will be a final "superdetailing" pass over all structures near the end of each area completion, when I paint and glue up each area.

minifig

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What size tiles are you using? I might be able to donate some of my smaller tiles for this amazing diorama if they're compatable!

minifig

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks guys. uk - we may both be too old and gray before I finish the first one, lol.

minifig - currently the core tiles for mine are 2 inch, although I will be needing to use a mix of other sizes across the varying surface areas. I will be intermixing some 1.5 inch subtiles (cut from 3" ones) in the next layer. The studio scale one used a lot of 3 inch ones from what I remember calculating at one time. Still at a loss as to where I put the box of varying sized tiles I had saved up. That's what I get for regorganizing my stash! I did notice your great looking tiles from your recent post and will let you know if I run across any that would work in the upper and left areas as I work my way around...

What size tiles are you using? I might be able to donate some of my smaller tiles for this amazing diorama if they're compatable!

minifig

Last edited:

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally got around to fixing the "L"-shaped red structure... had originally prototyped it up wrong (too short and wrong cut-off). Stripped the left half and added the extender... then laid out a full run of surface all the way up the side... and... suddenly... [drum roll] SHAZAAM - it all lined up from the original planning! Now THIS is where the fun begins!

DS2_Build312_sm_zpsbaa91370.jpg

Last edited:

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A little tweaking around the under-construction tower... and started laying out the upper middle. Should get the top laid out this week. Then onto the left, denser area that the Falcon flies over as it approaches the port... once it is all generally laid out, then will start on the tower and detailing up all the tiled areas...

DS2_Build314_sm_zps5c3bfe1e.jpg

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, thanks!

Had an afternoon to work on it again... got the larger red structure on the left side mostly done. Working on the back gray grid structure next...

DS2_Build315_sm_zpsb1a4d07a.jpg

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Was finally home on the weekend once... got more laid out and more grid structures roughed out on the left side and top. Hopefully the weather will stay warm soon and stop raining so I can finally paint the whole red middle port section...

DS2_Build316_sm_zps8107504d.jpg

DS2_Build318_sm_zpsefae233c.jpg

Attachments

• DS2_Build 316_sm.jpg
    DS2_Build 316_sm.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 151

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.