Death Star 2 Port Attack Diorama

Ten years ago today... took that last pic... then it sat collecting [and caking full of] dust. Dropped the refurbished port back in today... fits [barely] like a glove... whew! It was really caked with dust and originally the bottom ring was only assembled with metal tape. It also had a drone + platform sitting on top of it for seven years. Dusted it... for days... and then fixed a few old (and twisted) sections and finally epoxied it all together. Needs some more detail [still] down the road. I was very tempted to cut all of the new modular panels with a laser-cutter... but nah, it is still a full scratch-and-bash... like I originally started.

So far in 2023, have worked through the full new modularized surface, making official versions for the original "placeholder" parts (ok, pretty much replaced most of the original tiles). Since it is now modular, I also can swap the module in the lower right to represent a) the standard overhead reference shot (including "Lando's Approach") and b) the "Wedge Exit" shot... with the cool little tower. The lower left corner represents Lando's approach. The port is also now on a separate acrylic mounting plate so it can be removed for servicing, just like the whole top can be removed (or actually flipped up like a car hood) for servicing. I will be retrofitting all of the original fluorescent lighting with LED lighting in the tunnel over the course of 2023... and hopefully building a few ships... or a fireball... hmm... might be the best way to burn out all of the dust and cobwebs from the innards.

A few tweaks and wrap-ups left this week, including attaching down all of the new 2023 tiles to their new module panels, then just need to build out the mount for my SUV and pack all of the modules up. Assuming I do not smash anything while test-loading it, going to attempt to bring the top detachable surface section to WF23 for the ROJ 40th. We will see if it survives the seven-hour trip... (both ways)... over the [WI/IL] border past O'Hare, around and below Chicago, and through the ever-notorious construction while making my way down past Indianapolis! Stay tuned... "Here goes nothing...!"

Attachments

• DS2_Build 608.JPG
    DS2_Build 608.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 133
  • DS2_Build 606.JPG
    DS2_Build 606.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 146
  • DS2_Build 607.JPG
    DS2_Build 607.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 123
  • DS2_Build 609.JPG
    DS2_Build 609.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 130
  • _Original DS2 Port Prototype (2013).jpg
    _Original DS2 Port Prototype (2013).jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
When I first joined here on Nov. 1st 2013, this was around one of the first threads I remember seeing.
Glad to see you are trying to get it finished. (hopefully this time right)

Got the removable top section of the DSII Port safely to Wonderfest '23 (and back) through all of the WI-IL-IN-KY construction gauntlets... shown as a part of the Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary exhibit. It juuuuussst barely fit in the back of my current vehicle, but was locked in well. Also got the back of my bigger partial tower signed by the ILM guys... I'll always know it's there... lol. What a wonderful show... the contest room alone had over 1000+ entries! Incredible builds everywhere you looked.

Attachments

• DS2_Build 638.JPG
    DS2_Build 638.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 75
  • DS2_Build 637.JPG
    DS2_Build 637.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • DS2_Build 639.JPG
    DS2_Build 639.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8688.JPG
    IMG_8688.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 82

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back