Deagostini Falcon extra lighting question

I don't get the inaccurate mandible lights on this...
1. The very front lights, both left & light should be red not white, in ESB they are...(even then they were Matt painted on by Ralph it seems).
2. The middle bottom horizontal mandible 2 lights just don't exist on any studio 32" or in the movie.

Hi Darkview, unless I'm misunderstanding the location on the Falcon you are referring to, the 32" miniature did contain white headlights seen in the space slug scene.
Slug.jpg

Instead of tapping into the circuit board you can always run separate lights using the same supplied power source. All you have to do is splice the positive and negative wires coming from the battery pack and run as many LED's as you would like as long as you:

1) Run the lights parallel not in series and
2) Don't exceed the 6 volts maximum coming from the 4 AA batteries.

If connected properly, there is no power drain or dimming of the other lights and you can do it as many times as you want. The catch of doing it this way is that you have to install a separate toggle switch to turn them on and off. Or the battery pack on/off switch will do the job. Just google or YouTube running LED lights parallel.

Note: Each light/s run parallel will need its own resistor.

As I recall we are not allowed to post active eBay links but there are loads on there. Just type in JST XH 2.5-2 Pin they are pretty cheap.

Last edited:
There are no extra sockets in the stock board for adding additional lights. Every socket is used. However, you can tap directly into the power supply, (either the battery pack or the mains adapter), and run additional lights from there. Though neither of which have much overhead for additional power draw.

I disagree there. I've done a lot of research and have found additional lighting can be added to the existing circuits from the board. I've been working with Jennifer at "Small Scale Lights". She now has a full understanding of the capacity of the board and what can be added. (I sent my board for measurement).

One of the best bits is that the lights will also all work with the remote.

Her prices are very reasonable and she is very friendly and knowledgeable. I'd recommend asking her about what you'd like to do and she should be able to set you up with the lights you need.

https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk

I've done a lot of research and have found additional lighting can be added to the existing circuits from the board. I've been working with Jennifer at "Small Scale Lights". She now has a full understanding of the capacity of the board and what can be added. (I sent my board for measurement).

That's good to know. Here is what is driving me nuts though;
The official Falcon regulated mains adapter (sold by Model Space) produces 1amp at 9volts for $24.99
However, you can buy a generic 2amp 9volt regulated adapter online for $16.00!
So why would anyone buy the 1amp adapter from MS? Wouldn't we all be better off with a 2amp adapter with some extra overhead for adding additional lights?
Does anyone know the current ratings of the board transistors?

Last edited:
I have also been curious how many amps the board can handle.

I do have two boards. I have considered using both together (if I don't blow one up :eek).

According to Gus76, (a user on this forum) who seems to have a good understanding of the board's capabilities, there are three transistors that turn the LED circuits on and off. Each transistor is rated at 500ma or .5amp maximum. So the entire board can handle 1.5A maximum load. However, it is not advisable to run on the maximum current because over a long duration it might lead to damage of the transistors.
Therefore, you are less likely to overload the board with the official 1amp adapter sold by Model Space. Though it is still possible to overload a transistor if too many additional lights are added to a circuit. Use of a multi meter is strongly recommended.
If you only use the board for the stock lights and run any additional lights outside of the board, then a good quality regulated 2amp adapter makes sense as the extra amp will doubtlessly come in handy.

Another thing to consider is that if you add extra lighting and use the kit supplied circuit board and something happens to the board Deagostini will not cover the cost of a replacement board.

Carl

OK, so, has anyone bought the add on light kit from the facebook guy, AKA Chris Holland and received it?! I bought my kit on 07/29/16 and still have not received it. I have emailed him about it and he stated that health problems (in and out of hospital, etc) had slowed him down. That was back in November and he was pretty good about responding to emails. Flash forward to now and I sent him another email on 01/24/17 to which he has not replied yet. Over at the model-space forum others who have purchased said that he gave them an excuse that a sick grandson and daughter in law have slowed him down.

I have to wonder that if he is bogged down and behind then why the bloddy hell has he not temporarily suspended new orders until he gets all the past orders caught up! I am almost to the point of asking for a refund.

Rant over

UPDATE:
We can cancel the hounds, lol. I messaged him via his website and got a fast reply. Seems my order got lost and they promised to clear this up asap and get my kit out asap.

I wasn't going to say anything about this guy, but I am at the end of my rope. I ordered back in August. After many e-mail and excuses he finally shipped a set last month (March). It made it as far as my local post office and was then returned due to insufficient addressing. Chris states he had the address right, which I believe. Unfortunately, the package has not shown up back with Chris. I told him I would pay the postage for him to ship a new set, but he so far has not answered any of my e-mails for weeks. It is well past the time limit for submitting a PayPal grievance. I really want to get this set but I just don't know if I can trust this guy to make good.
Has anyone received any communications from him in the last month?

I too was in a similar boat. I finally got my light set and emailed him about the additional red warning lights for the docking arm end hatches and he replied back with some UK prices and more light sets for future release. When I replied as to when the additional lights sets were going to be up for sale, he has yet to reply and that was weeks ago! I also had some constructive criticism for the PDF instructions from his website and he has not replied to that either.

At the moment, my concerns are still for the DeAgostini power board. I know that Chris has stated that he spoke with Deago customer support and was assured by them that using the boards connectors with his lights would do no harm, but I am thinking of cutting my losses and going elsewhere for a new board and a complete light set. There was a link provided earlier in this thread that I may look into.

At this point I wished I had done more research on all the lights that are on the falcon and not purchased Chris's kit as there are still missing lights.

I had contact with him on the 8th of this month (April), when I emailed him about the light set. His reply is below:

"Yes it is still on offer and the current time to shipping is 9 weeks."

I took a chance and ordered a set after that. Obviously, it hasn't arrived yet. Come week 10, I'll start pinging him about it.

My extension board design.