Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

IMG_20160906_202525.jpgIMG_20160906_202012.jpgIMG_20160906_202127.jpg14285014_195075054239823_835959407_o.jpgIMG_20160903_162336.jpgIMG_20160903_163604.jpgIMG_20160906_214852.jpg

Hey guys, I was looking through some screen shots and realized that the gun station sets were much larger than what the model provides. I know the stage set pieces didn't match up with the models always, but I'm curious if anyone has redone the gun interiors to be as big as the film sets? I've laid it out and will cut some plastic to see how it looks but wanted to get y'all's input on it. As far as I can tell, the walls should pretty much be out as far as the window opening. I think it would make detailing really show up but might take some cramming to get it to fit. What say ye?

This is what I'm coming up with. You guys think it's too big and won't look right? I'm trying to find a happy median between miniature and full size sets You can see it's much larger than the stock part.

IMAG0698_zpsuap3selu.jpg

IMAG0699_zps1wcanqpl.jpg

IMAG0700_zpsfbjkymzk.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
G'day niart17, l'm in the same sticky. There's so much info/references/ opinions,( out there - it's mind boggling!! ), the same idea occurred to me , re; screen/set accuracy , but I've come to the conclusion ( after mucho Internet surfing/research ), that this ' little lady ' is just a shared ideal. Honestly, it's just what we want to ' try ' to do, to the best of our abilities, to bring her to life for us individually. Otherwise, we're kidding ourselves into thinking ( if we're trying to replicate the ' actual ' studio model ), that it's possible. Its your baby, do the best you can, and, be happy whilst bringing her to life. Only my humble opinion

P.s. There's accuracy, and 'accuracy ', something real you try to duplicate, as opposed to something ' fictional ' you'll try your heart out to ' honour ', eh!

I've divided the model into 2 parts so I can sleep at night.
1) Exterior, which is a near exact replica of the 32" filming miniature.
2) An interior, that can be whatever you want.

Kokkari, that's it mate - you can sleep at night. Done- Doing your utmost, to find your ' zen? ', guys like me are just ' trying to be proud and ' content ' with what we remember. niart17, yeah, it works for me, will scratch some more. Didn't say so earlier, but maybe you're right re; turret bay/s. I'll borrow that, and, as long as you're happy with it, what else matters eh?. ;)

Hey guys, I was looking through some screen shots and realized that the gun station sets were much larger than what the model provides. I know the stage set pieces didn't match up with the models always, but I'm curious if anyone has redone the gun interiors to be as big as the film sets? I've laid it out and will cut some plastic to see how it looks but wanted to get y'all's input on it. As far as I can tell, the walls should pretty much be out as far as the window opening. I think it would make detailing really show up but might take some cramming to get it to fit. What say ye?

This is what I'm coming up with. You guys think it's too big and won't look right? I'm trying to find a happy median between miniature and full size sets You can see it's much larger than the stock part.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/IMAG0698_zpsuap3selu.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/IMAG0699_zps1wcanqpl.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/IMAG0700_zpsfbjkymzk.jpg

Bill

Looks pretty good to me.
Especially when you compare it to this photo.
1c16ad79146cad641bf8a630b7386650.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm treating this model in my mind as if the Falcon is a real craft and the movies, books, etc... are other builders and artists versions of what that craft really is. That way if there is something I feel wasn't maybe detailed enough I can chalk it up to it being their idea of reality and I'll add my idea to it by combining what's known about the Falcon from all given sources like the 32, the 5 footer and the sets from all the movies. I know that goes against the spirit of what a prop replica is, but since Deag already started down the road of blurring lines, I think it's a reaonable approach.

I'm going to continue detailing these out and see once I get the seat in if it makes it look too "toy like". Thanks again everyone.

Bill

P.s. There's accuracy, and 'accuracy ', something real you try to duplicate, as opposed to something ' fictional ' you'll try your heart out to ' honour ', eh!

Kinda like the diff between accuracy and realism. In the case of models of real subjects--like military jets--a lot of the washes and weathering makes it look really "real" (the realism) even though aircraft don't look like that, not to that degree. But if you don't do it, people are thinking it just looks like a toy or a constructed model, not a real plane. In the case of the MF or most any sci-fi subject, if you build it exactly like the studio model, most people will think, that ain't right. F-1 drivers, who look nothing like an X-wing pilot? A random diode sticking up in the cockpit of the MF. Not for me. And I really don't wanna look into the turret area and see a space that looks too cramped. I might follow the lead of Stingray when I get to this.
Mike Todd

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/IMAG0698_zpsuap3selu.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/IMAG0699_zps1wcanqpl.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/IMAG0700_zpsfbjkymzk.jpg

Bill

Looks great! Very close in proportion to the set picture! As long as the scale of your turret bay (Regarding common fittings - i.e. Anything your chosen scale figures could interact with like chairs or yokes) is consistent with the scale used in your cockpit it should look right when looking from the exterior. A word of warning to anyone contemplating this though - last week we got the mounting pieces to attach the interior bits to the bottom hull. There is no way I can see of using both the supplied hold interior and a scale size turret interior. So the options look like either going for the correct sized option and forgoing the interior or accepting the shrunken compromise.

it is built like a rock. They did a wonderful job on this. The frame is incredible.

It is very sturdy, especially with the additional supports that fit between the bottom and top hulls to prevent sagging. Here's hoping the QC has been good enough at the mixing stage to prevent any of us getting zinc rot a few years down the line!

Fitting them in is one concern I have. I am hoping that a slight tweaking of the bulkheads around the nav computer area and some trimming of the corners here and there will yield enough room to cram them in without compromising the overall effect. If not then at least it will be an exercise in design and detailing.

Bill

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back