DeAgostini 1:18 X-Wing

I've got month 6 coming my way finally. Still have not started a build on mine. Just waiting to get a few more months and then I'm going to give it a go.

There are a couple youtube build logs going - the furthest along I saw was up to Issue 30 or so... It looks good but a good deal of busy work in there as well... stuff that you can't see in the finished model. But it does look nice.

Jedi Dade

It really sucks that this is not available in the US, only EU people can buy it. :(
and you US peoples get loads of exclusive action figures to Target, WalMart, WalGreens, HasPulse... wich are almost impossible to get over here, unless you pay high price on third party or evilbay :(

If any of you have got far enough into the X wing to have finished the main power supply/circuit board would you be able to do me a favour? I’m adding an LCD display into the cockpit (from brick stuff.com) and it requires a 5v power supply. I can see that the x wing runs on 4 AAs, so 6v. Can anyone confirm what the actual output voltage to the cockpit LEDs is? I assume there is a voltage converter built in to the main circuit board that reduces the 6v down to 3v, as the LEDs are tested using two AAs (I.e. 3v) throughout the build.

I have no idea about the output of the Deago power supply, but I am using a micro voltage regulator from Amazon for the same Brickstuff display.
I am using a small LiPo battery to power it.

Here’s the regulator I’m using.

Attachments

• 9919C5A1-5ADC-4111-A35C-D983EEFA2B36.jpeg
    9919C5A1-5ADC-4111-A35C-D983EEFA2B36.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 136
I have no idea about the output of the Deago power supply, but I am using a micro voltage regulator from Amazon for the same Brickstuff display.
I am using a small LiPo battery to power it.

Here’s the regulator I’m using.
Thanks - what voltage is your LiPo?

Not trying to revive a dead thread or anything but FYI for those interested, Modelspace still has these in stock in the US. Month 25, the final month, will ship to me either this week or next. I have not yet built mine as I am waiting to get the final installment. I know this thing is a nightmare in terms of fit quality and other things. I honestly just may sell the thing off to someone who wants to tackle it one day. We'll see.

Not trying to revive a dead thread or anything but FYI for those interested, Modelspace still has these in stock in the US. Month 25, the final month, will ship to me either this week or next. I have not yet built mine as I am waiting to get the final installment. I know this thing is a nightmare in terms of fit quality and other things. I honestly just may sell the thing off to someone who wants to tackle it one day. We'll see.
Do you have a link to Model-Space's page showing the X-wing? I have looked all over and have not found it.
Are you sure it's just not Model-Space fulfilling the final orders for the kit and it only appears to you? Last I heard, that X-Wing was going to migrate to Fanhome.

I get the feeling they will just fulfill orders. Fanhome is set up with the R2 kit, but that's it. A theory is the MF license had a certain time frame, and the X had a time frame that cascaded next, then R2. I dunno. It's not like they got far enough along to have it finished and offered for sale as a full kit for a while. With the same time frames, shoulda happened. Of if it's one license timeframe for all three, then the X should be at Fanhome, along with the option to buy completed MF kits. I thought if they were going to keep it going, I'd just wait till something was finished if I knew I could always wait to see how it ends up. The MF is really good (don't get me wrong) but they strayed from some original descriptions. While I never wanted the X-wing just because it was so large, when I saw the wing hinge situation, I would have really ticked off. Deal breaker for me for sure. "Nice" to see that happen if I was still waiting to see the final product rather than a good portion into a subscription I've already paid for.
Mike Todd

Do you have a link to Model-Space's page showing the X-wing? I have looked all over and have not found it.
Are you sure it's just not Model-Space fulfilling the final orders for the kit and it only appears to you? Last I heard, that X-Wing was going to migrate to Fanhome.
Nope. It was Model-Space. I've called them each month at the following number 877-544-6779 over the last couple of years to make sure my card was charged for each monthly pack. I just got month 25 today. Honestly, it could be that they are only fulfilling orders for the last few subscriptions and once those are done, they're done. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I get the feeling they will just fulfill orders. Fanhome is set up with the R2 kit, but that's it. A theory is the MF license had a certain time frame, and the X had a time frame that cascaded next, then R2. I dunno. It's not like they got far enough along to have it finished and offered for sale as a full kit for a while. With the same time frames, shoulda happened. Of if it's one license timeframe for all three, then the X should be at Fanhome, along with the option to buy completed MF kits. I thought if they were going to keep it going, I'd just wait till something was finished if I knew I could always wait to see how it ends up. The MF is really good (don't get me wrong) but they strayed from some original descriptions. While I never wanted the X-wing just because it was so large, when I saw the wing hinge situation, I would have really ticked off. Deal breaker for me for sure. "Nice" to see that happen if I was still waiting to see the final product rather than a good portion into a subscription I've already paid for.
Mike Todd
Yep. This X-Wing is definitely a deal breaker for sure. I've read the blogs and seen all the videos with all the part fit issues it has as well as the problems with the electronics and just the overall presentation that ultimately disappoints. That's why I've never even started mine. At this point, I'm thinking I should just sell the blasted thing (it's complete as I just got month 25 today) and be done with it and move on.

Last edited:
Yep. This X-Wing is definitely a deal breaker for sure. I've read the blogs and seen all the videos with all the part fit issues it has as well as the problems with the electronics and just the overall presentation that ultimately disappoints. That's why I've never even started mine. At this point, I'm thinking I should just sell the blasted thing (it's complete as I just got month 25 today) and be done with it and move on.
If anyone who is interested I am selling my complete, unbuilt 25 pack (all 100 issues, 4 issues per pack) run of the DeAgostini 1:18 scale X-Wing fighter. Just PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I know this kit gets tonnes of criticism, and rightly so because for this much $ you are justified in expecting a really well designed and well executed product. But I have to say it is a really fun build, and if you’re prepared to put in the same amount of effort that you would improving a, for example, Revell Star Wars kit, it can look great. I’ve virtually finished building and completely repainting mine, and just the fact that you can put a 1/18 Hasbro pilot in it (see picture, although admittedly most of the parts in the photo are after market!) is a huge selling point for me.

For me having the ‘canvas size’ of a 1/18 x wing without needing the extensive workshop and skills needed to put together a huge resin garage kit is great.

E59E0141-A140-4F06-9FFD-1B4CF48E0463.jpeg

93FCE360-C8B5-4A0C-B44D-91EB2E9A6854.jpeg

Ok, so when I took this down from where it has been languishing on the shelf I realised how much I have left to do to really finish it! You can see where the weathering needs to be finished, the whole fuselage hasn’t really been touched yet after I repainted the whole thing.

I also got most of the way through wiring in the screen, which will have its own battery box in the torpedo bay, because I couldn’t work out how to wire it into the main power circuit.

The R2 sticks out too far, and because it’s motorised etc it will be difficult to fix that.

The canopy doesn’t attach properly with the falcon3dparts internal cockpit part.

The general fit of the panels is not amazing, but the worst one is just by the side of the cockpit, as shown in the last picture.

I need to glue the laser cannons on properly so that they don’t sag.

I managed to fix the wing mechanism (from the factory it doesn’t work as the switch that stops it from overextending is positioned incorrectly, so it needs shimming or the plastic gears shred themselves). Some people have said the wing mechanism looks dreadful, but I can live with it.

IMG_4712.jpeg
IMG_4714.jpeg

IMG_4715.jpeg
IMG_4716.jpeg
IMG_4718.jpeg
IMG_4717.jpeg
IMG_4719.jpeg
IMG_4720.jpeg
IMG_4721.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back