DeAgostini 1:18 X-Wing

Does anyone have purchased the "1:18 HERO X - WING" full kit provided by "PRECISIONEER"?
I purchased it because DeAgostini does not deliver "Build your own X-WING" in my country.
I paid with "PayPal", but because the goods did not arrive, I got a refund.
I recently learned that the identity of "PRESICIONEER" is "Mike Tait" which is a notorious re - caster.
I requested the image of the kit many times because he had only the master image on the advertisement, but he did not give it.
I guess like this, he created only master and did not have kits or casts. Nevertheless, he advertised the kit sales and tried to steal the money.
Currently, the advertisement has been deleted and this attempt has stopped.
What I wonder is what happened to the master.
Did he build the master into a finished product or sold it to someone in an unassembled situation?
I expect that if a good reseller got the master, it will be kitized and opportunities for purchase will come again.

Last edited:
Were I you - I would consider anything related to Mike Tait as smoke and mirrors.

To acquire the kit you could work out a deal with someone where it is being sold to forward the issues to you, or wait util the run is completed and it an be purchased in total (and shipped to you all at once).

Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade, Thanks for the reply.

I bought Issue 1 to 4 from Germany on eBay, but due to high commission and shipping fee, I interrupted it.
As you say, after completing run, bulk purchase with MODELSPACE is realistic, but I have to wait two years. I am not young anymore.
The new option is to remodel "HASBRO 1: 18" with parts made by "FALCON 3 D".
However, since "FALCON 3 D" does not offer S-foil armature, opening and closing the wing is difficult.
What do you think of this plan?

However, since "FALCON 3 D" does not offer S-foil armature, opening and closing the wing is difficult.
Just be aware that the wings on the DeAgo model are questionable, as I've seen them. They don't open from a central point of the ship, but rather from the side. So it's not like the wings are a total of two pieces that work like scissor. The right and left side each have separate top and bottom wings and they open from the side. If I had one of these, I'd keep the wings closed just because of this.
Mike Todd

Jedi Dade, Thanks for the reply.

I bought Issue 1 to 4 from Germany on eBay, but due to high commission and shipping fee, I interrupted it.
As you say, after completing run, bulk purchase with MODELSPACE is realistic, but I have to wait two years. I am not young anymore.
The new option is to remodel "HASBRO 1: 18" with parts made by "FALCON 3 D".

I wonder if you could get in touch with Mike Reader and have him machine a custom 1/18 armature for you.

I have several of his 1/24 x-wing armatures (and just ordered a couple of more), they are excellent quality.

Honestly if it were me doing the Hasbro I'd pick a display mode and build it that way. I did do a quick search on shapeways and found Engines and Such there - but they were REALLY expensive.

Jedi Dade

Just be aware that the wings on the DeAgo model are questionable, as I've seen them. They don't open from a central point of the ship, but rather from the side. So it's not like the wings are a total of two pieces that work like scissor. The right and left side each have separate top and bottom wings and they open from the side. If I had one of these, I'd keep the wings closed just because of this.
Mike Todd
Dedalus 5550, Thank you for your sincere answer.
I also saw the image of the production advertisement, noticed the abnormality of the opening degree of the wing, and saw the 3D structure and understood the cause (also posted by Mr. hugescale).
When I saw DeAgo's official advertisement, I thought that the structure of the wing was wrong.
However, I think DeAgo 's approach is one correct answer now.
Because I find the same appearance as DeAgo in the CG animation which is announced later.
Here, we will explain the pattern diagram on the arrangement of the wings.
A. The structure seen in Deago, the armature can not be seen, the structure inside the fuselage of the wing and the outside of the fuselage are on the same plane.
B. This is the internal structure seen in the movable wing of the Studio model.
C. Overlay AB to highlight differences.
D. The structure of internal A, external B, which can be seen in the movie scene.
E. The concept of attaching a cover to hide the armature on the fuselage part of the movable wing.
One idea to eliminate the discomfort with the scene of the movie with F. A's pattern. Reduce the angle at which the wing is open.

Image example
1. DeAgo
2. CGI (The lost starfighter)
3. CGI (The battle of lothan)
These are A in the pattern diagram.
4. Studio model - RED 3
5. Studio model - RED 5 left side
These are D in the pattern diagram.
6. Studio model - RED 5 right side
This is B, which is rare in movies. It seems they have forgotten to cover the armature.
I think the design on the desk is the A pattern.
For that reason, CGI had the structure as designed, and DeAgo also tried to reproduce the design, so I believe that DeAgo implemented the A pattern.
ILM's modeler seems to have been unable to implement movable wing in A pattern.
So I think that they adopted the E pattern hiding the armature so that they look like the A pattern.

For the reasons above, DeAgo 's approach is correct, but you can not deny the sense of incompatibility for those who like movie scenes.
It is difficult to realize Pattern D with DeAgo's movable wing (although there are some ideas, I will skip here).
Plan B is to reduce the angle at which the wing opens, as shown by pattern F.
If DeAgo's movable wing is stopped by the limit switch, it can be adjusted by the position of the trigger, but in the case of a program, it is necessary to reduce the number of gears on the drive side.

It is also difficult to realize Pattern D on models other than DeAgo.
In this case, adopt the pattern E, and when moving the wing, the armature cover must be removed.

upload_2019-1-9_11-20-15.png

This is what ILM used on the original moving wing miniatures.
You can see that it is a centerline pivot, they also used covers to hide the armature mechanism like you show in diagram D&E, and pic #4.

I have seen the way the wings move on the Deago in the video, and I think it replicates the wing movement well enough to pass an ‘untrained’ eye. If it’s good enough for you, or most people buying the Deago, then fair enough. However, ILM used s centerline pivot for the original studio models.
61005C87-1460-4C1B-A127-E858BE584698.jpeg

Yes, there all kinds of "good enough for me" people out there. And I admire them. It would make this hobby easier for me. There may have been production constraints and some/much/most of the market won't notice or care. But if we're talking about accuracy and facts, the DeAgo is not right. And I won't offer anything here about the degree of inaccuracy because that's clearly a personal preference.
Mike Todd

Jkirkon, Dedalus 5550 Thanks for the reaction.
To Jkirkon. The center line pivot can be seen in image 6.
I basically agree with the opinions of the two of you.
Although DeAgo has problems with accuracy, I feel the effort to faithfully reproduce ILM's blueprint.

Honestly if it were me doing the Hasbro I'd pick a display mode and build it that way. I did do a quick search on shapeways and found Engines and Such there - but they were REALLY expensive.

Yes they are VERY expensive, if you buy the wings and engines to convert the Hasbro 1/18 it's like $500 !!

That's why I built and cast my own for my personal build, thinking I'd offer them for sale, but there wasn't much interest and if you think about the commitment to provide all the parts maybe that's why they're so expensive.

Very nice... I might've greeblied up the butt plate a bit but other than that its pretty fantastic.

As for shapeways - its a point and print thing so I'm not sure its a commitment to provide the parts issue as much as somebody wants to be paid for their work... which I can't really complain too much about, but whoever it is priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerend. The entire point of converting a hasbro is to make something cool on the cheap... and those parts blow the cheap right out. you can get a Studio accurate one for that kind of cash...

There are several details that some won't accept a difference for. With some, the nose has to be perfect, for others the fuselage and I'm sure there are several more, like the inner and outer wing detailing, etc... For me, its the mechanics of the wing. It has to be a center pivot and linear on both sides. I was going to purchase one of these kits as soon as it had a sale, but with this thread, I'm thinking I'm going to pass and just make a Hasbro X-wing for several hundred dollars less. Unless of course, Deag decides to change the way the wings open and close. Its possible.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back