DeAgostini 1:18 X-Wing

Jeez , people just starting up on this incredible hobby/pastime or those who've returned with the intention of learning/sharing after a considerable hiatus , have gotta feel a little bewildered by some of the stuff put up here . Seems like you're damned if you do ( want to participate , as I have re ; the Deagostini MF... with all it's hiccups ! ) , and the other if you don't .
Should be a ' consensual ' medium somewhere . Manufacturers want to make money . Audience/consumers want product . Where's the ' meeting of minds ? '

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will pass all of them on to Model Space.So far it is just a test run.It will take months for them to analyze the test and decide if they will go into production.

As far as the number of issues several USA subscribers have asked for shorter subscription times.The falcon now is available as a 12 month subscription as well as a 24 month.

As far as the negative comments and complaints I think since this is the first time such a complex kit has been offered as a partwork and the first time USA customers have bought a model as a partwork there have been some problems.I think over time these have been resolved .I have no information about how well the Falcon sold and if I did obviously I couldnt release that information.My goal as forum support is to do everything I can to make these kits a success and help the USA customers get what they want.

Thanks darbyvet.

I'm still wondering, as everyone knows this version isn't studio scale, that it's still in this forum. I am a bit surprised that it's not SS, considering the MF was, but even if the X-wing was in SS, it still wouldn't be in the same scale as the MF. The MF is definitely not something that everyone will want, mainly because of the real estate it takes up, but apparently there was enough interest in it for them to "go big or go home" with other SW products. It's a bit of a gamble for them, but I'm sure it will pay off. I guess that the UK will be the deciding factor.

In any case, if it is released in the US, I will get it anyway. What is ONE more X-wing on the shelf? Wait a second...I guess I'll have to build a special shelf for all of the Deagostini products. :rolleyes :p

TazMan2000

Last edited by a moderator:
DeAgostini has been pretty good to me regarding my Falcon. I have no complaints about customer service in the US with the 2 small issues I have experienced.
I am somewhat irritated about the missing SS parts on the Falcon, and how it is being handled(or NOT being handled). I don't mind having to paint it, I knew that going in. Especially when I saw the first hull plating parts. They looked toyish, it was a given then needed paint.

I don't see a 100 issue subscription for an X-wing, even if it has a fully motorized armature, and lit. And $1500...yeah, not so much. It better make me breakfast and bring in the morning paper for that much $.

That at being said, I welcome more SW kits from them. I personally like the subscription build idea, never done that before the Falcon.

Too bad this isn't a T-70 x-wing....I'd probably jump on it.

DeAgostini has been pretty good to me regarding my Falcon. I have no complaints about customer service in the US with the 2 small issues I have experienced.
I am somewhat irritated about the missing SS parts on the Falcon, and how it is being handled(or NOT being handled). I don't mind having to paint it, I knew that going in. Especially when I saw the first hull plating parts. They looked toyish, it was a given then needed paint.

I don't see a 100 issue subscription for an X-wing, even if it has a fully motorized armature, and lit. And $1500...yeah, not so much. It better make me breakfast and bring in the morning paper for that much $.

That at being said, I welcome more SW kits from them. I personally like the subscription build idea, never done that before the Falcon.

Too bad this isn't a T-70 x-wing....I'd probably jump on it.

All but one of the missing parts is being supplied.There is no date as yet because the manufacturer has to make molds etc...

Here is the latest update from Deagostini;

DeAgostini would like to again thank you for your patience in this matter.

In light of the extra greeblies highlighted after the first set was brought to our attention, we can now confirm that we will be providing all but one.

We are now in discussions with the manufacturer as to what the production time will be on these pieces and will update in due course. We understand that it can be frustrating having to wait for the final details, and we are doing our utmost to expedite this process.

Once the parts are manufactured, we will send them out in a special pack, (not issue), which will of course be free of charge to all participants in the build. Details will follow once the packs have been put together.

Regards,

DeAgostini

Thanks Darbyvet. I appreciate your position and sympathize with what must be a frustrating job at times. I think some people take criticism of a product as a personal attack on the people that make it. It's not at all. At times the debates can get ugly I guess, but I think we can all agree that a good product from any company is what everyone is wishing for. I hope that Deag has taken some of the feedback from their first try at a large scale parted kit and improves with each and every new kit. I actually have very little to complain about when it comes to the actual MF model kit. I think they did a pretty darn good job. I think they could have handled some of the design (the motor in the rampway I.E. who thought that one up? LOL) and feedback a little better, but hey, it was a first try. Let's see how much better it can be this go around. I'm pulling for a great product even if I don't think I'll buy it.

Bill

All but one of the missing parts is being supplied.There is no date as yet because the manufacturer has to make molds etc...

Here is the latest update from Deagostini;

DeAgostini would like to again thank you for your patience in this matter.

In light of the extra greeblies highlighted after the first set was brought to our attention, we can now confirm that we will be providing all but one.

We are now in discussions with the manufacturer as to what the production time will be on these pieces and will update in due course. We understand that it can be frustrating having to wait for the final details, and we are doing our utmost to expedite this process.

Once the parts are manufactured, we will send them out in a special pack, (not issue), which will of course be free of charge to all participants in the build. Details will follow once the packs have been put together.

Regards,

DeAgostini

Thanks Darbyvet.
I had not heard that, good news!!!! Right on, DeAgo!!

I'm ok with it being 1/18th, but at 100 issues there no way I'm going to sign up for it. 50-60 maybe. A X-wing and TIE in 1/18th, 100 issues would be fine.
Agreed! There aren't enough parts on an X-Wing to do a 100 subscription run and if they drag it out to 100 it will be ridiculous!

I'll take the bait....;)

What does the rpf toilet cleaner actually do??

By far the most redundant claim to fame must be the person who takes pride in being a 'janitor' on the internet.

I would retort further, but I'm too busy actually building replica props and so on and so forth.....;)

View attachment 711106View attachment 711107View attachment 711108View attachment 711109View attachment 711110View attachment 711111View attachment 711112View attachment 711113View attachment 711114View attachment 711115

What do I do? The same builds you have. Mostly SW but a lot of Aliens stuff as well

For the record, we have the exact same collections, both build by each other over time.....minus the Easter Island head. My Legacy Falcon conversion was given to my nephew because I have the 29 incher and the Deago. The blabbing comment was aimed at myself via the wife.....and yes I can blab a lot of excrement.

Cant remember where I picked up the Janitor title....that was over a decade ago.

But back on topic, I think a 1:18 X-Wing is gonna sell like hotcakes and I like the idea of a 12 month subscription option as well. Its hard to believe its almost been 2 years since I subscribed.

Agreed! There aren't enough parts on an X-Wing to do a 100 subscription run and if they drag it out to 100 it will be ridiculous!

They did the zero with a metal frame for 25 months at $80 each month. I could imagine the same kind of metal frame for the X-wing. I bet it will end up being about $1500 because they know people will pay for it. Modelspace has it for 32 pounds a month but it does not say for how long since it is out of stock.

http://www.model-space.com/nz/military/mitsubishi-a6m-zero/

zst_09_x436.jpg

The Zero is an amazing kit.I have it.It is out of production at the moment and I am not sure if it will be coming back or not.You can sometimes get the full kit on ebay from Japan, but it comes with Japanese instructions.

If the X wing is released and they decide to do a 12 month option that probably wouldnt be available until the 24 month subscription had been running for 12 months.

I have told Model Space that I frequently get USA modelers tell me they would prefer a shorter subscription period.

I really had hoped for a different model and a shorter subscription plan/time. I, too, do not see 100 issues with more or less substantial parts necessary to complete the X-Wing. On the other hand, I love me an X-Wing to death. My fave ship of all time. But this time I will do it vulture style, i.e. buy complete sets off of auctioning platforms, to save money.

How about this, DeAgo? Enough of the (apparent) price point. (And subscription timeline, too.) People will pay handsomely; we've become accustomed to doing so. But mostly when the KIT is also handsome. Right size, right price (for both parties involved), right subject (read: not done to death already), and a reasonable schedule.

To offer a different point of view. The XWing is iconic, but also easy to get.

I would rather see an improvement of the MR ATAT or and ATST. Kits that aren't really available. Sandcrawler, Studio Star Destroyer, Landspeeder.

Sounds like the Falcon was a success. Great to see!

Personally I think at 1/18 Deagostini have shot themselves in the foot. They have lost the studio scale portion of their market straight away. The Falcon has sold very well, to casual and serious modellers/ collectors alike. A 1/24 X-Wing would surely achieve the same or perhaps even higher sales.
I for one won't be subscribing, whereas at Studio Scale I'd have been signing up straight away.
Just my opinion.

Received the first partwork this morning . . . the weathering seems better done than the MF. R2 has LED. Will open it later to inspect closely.

Last edited:
The smart thing to do is wait as daddyfromnaboo said for complete sets to be offered on the likes of ebay. Thats what i did with the MF, saved myself hundreds AND i didn't have the hassle and frustration dealing with the deago clowns.

I started a subscription but stopped it when i realised the company was completely incompetent.

I started a subscription but stopped it when i realised the company was completely incompetent.

Same thing here. Deagostini seems to be their own worst enemy. They produce some fantastic kits but then under anticipate the demand and run short of supply. I got fed up with all of the Falcon parts back orders and excuses/misinformation from Model-Space that I cancelled my Falcon subscription. I would gladly buy a full kit at full price from them if not for the fact that they don't have enough parts on hand at any given moment to sell a full kit! The only way I'd be interested in another kit of anything from Deagostini is if they offered it as a full kit option at the same time as the subscription. At least then I'd know they actually have the parts on hand ready to ship.

So can we get a clear answer from the get go? Is it going to be pre-painted?? Remember the first few issues of the MF were but then it changed.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm not in for the sole reason that us in Australia aren't treated well. We never got the upgrades that others got. For example issue 40 came and went and there was no additional cockpit. Deagostini is talking about providing the additional missing parts to customers soon as well and I bet we miss out again.Im happy to pay for them too if that's what they want. I told them on the phone I was happy to pay for the early issue upgrades and they said they didn't know what I was talking about and laughed at me. We are up to issue 51 now and I do love what I have, don't get me wrong but the Australian counterpart of Deagostini leaves a lot to be desired. The only people that have made an effort and made things pleasant are my local newsagent ladies who I know personally.

And to to say Deagostini is ready to stop making Star Wars models because of genuine criticism is just childish. That's not how you run a company. Just fix the issues and we will have the models we want and they will have the profits they want. It's a clear win win situation. Not a childish I'm taking my toys and going home. Lol.

Ben

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back