DeAgostini 1:18 X-Wing

Much bigger. And it was a ROTJ model. I'm looking forward to future DeAgostini Star Wars models! The R2 is really neat and well thought out!

it the same like on model kits, 10 thousend versions of ME-109 in all scales available - the sales is like for food...
or Tiger or Phanter exists from lots of modell makers...
An X-Wing makes more sense for deAgo instead an less known modell - they make it not only for the experts ;-)

While another 109 sticks in people's craw because it's done to death, it's not a $1500 109. It's another $30 dollar 109, or something like that.

To say that this X-wing makes sense would explain the overwhelming support and excitement at this microcosm (RPF)--except that it's not overwhelming support and excitement.

Torsten, do you know if this is available in Germany now as a test run ? Or is test run only in UK, and this info above is if it goes full subscription ?
At the moment the X-wing is a 4 issue test run in some regions in UK. I have currently no news if deAgo plan to do test runs in Germany for R2-D2 and X-Wing later in this year.

I bet ya they will launch a TIE Fighter in the next six months.
As I am only at issue 52 for the Falcon (Germany stared late) and I will finish my Studio Scale X-Wing before even thinking about the 1/18 X-Wing...I guess ;)

I bet ya they will launch a TIE Fighter in the next six months.
As I am only at issue 52 for the Falcon (Germany stared late) and I will finish my Studio Scale X-Wing before even thinking about the 1/18 X-Wing...I guess ;)

I wish deago had done a studio x wing and tie fighter as a 'trench run' kit. That could probably justify 100 issues.

I believe that if they made the X-wing 1/43 in scale with the Falcon it would sell like hotcakes. Anybody that bought a Deago Falcon would want one simply to display next to it. And at a lower price point it would be far more affordable to the casual modeller/ SW fan. But the Deagostini market research team probably decided that the market for that scale is already far too saturated with the likes of Bandai and Revell's 1/48 offerings. And that it would be difficult to compete with those kits on pricing.

This is the 1/48 Finemolds X-Wing on the deAgo Millennium Falcon. How will be 1/43 scale X-Wing makeable a part work issue?
x_wing48_001.jpg

x_wing48_002.jpg

To say that this X-wing makes sense would explain the overwhelming support and excitement at this microcosm (RPF)--except that it's not overwhelming support and excitement.

The RPF crowd is more specialized and focused towards screen accurate scale models, so I think it is not representative for the whole Star Wars fan base. A lot of us had thought that the Falcon is of no interest to the actual studio scale fans, but it is a massive success among the people who did not build a model in ages, especially studio scale models. I think the X-Wing will be a success among all those "wide spectrum" or "general interest" fans and collectors. The R2 may be different, but I think the X-Wing is going to be a success, although I, too, would have liked to see a different ship made into the next kit.

This is the 1/48 Finemolds X-Wing on the deAgo Millennium Falcon. How will be 1/43 scale X-Wing makeable a part work issue?

It would be a short run part work. Even with a lighting kit it would only take 5 or 6 issues. However they could then proceed to offer other ships in 1/43 like the T-70, Y-Wing, Tie, and even Slave 1, all as part of a series of ships like they did with the Star Wars helmets collection.

12106223744_c96da6a372_k.jpg

This is the large scale X wing on Display a few years ago in San Jose. If the new Deago kit is even half as big as this, it will be huge.

It would be a short run part work. Even with a lighting kit it would only take 5 or 6 issues. However they could then proceed to offer other ships in 1/43 like the T-70, Y-Wing, Tie, and even Slave 1, all as part of a series of ships like they did with the Star Wars helmets collection.

It's possible that this line of discussion goes very quickly from what makes perfect sense to what makes no sense at all. We're talking about changing their business model and we might also get into a license issue. They might be prohibited from having products that look too much like a traditional model and/or sizes that correspond to other stuff (Bandai, for instance.) It's almost like you give Bandai the right of first refusal for the realm of 1/43 scale MF and they say no-way, no-how they are gonna touch that. Same for 1/18 scale X. But a 1/43 scale X is pretty close to 1/48. This might be why Bandai went to making the standing figures into silhouettes.

I reckon Slave 1 would be pretty epic in mega detail, interior/exterior lighting etc. Ramp and maybe rocket launchers could be motorised. Maybe a sound card for those great Slave 1 sounds ?? Any collector interested in the Falcon and Han/Chewie will be interested in Boba Fett and Slave 1 I'd reckon.

Maybe if they do make that Boba Fett movie or TV series it'll be the right time.......

Just putting it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having gone through the process of dealing with 100s of unhappy customers when the first issue of their Falcon had incorrect parts you would think De Agostini might pay homage to the fan base with this X-Wing by making it as accurate to the studio model as possible...
Why then, in the first issue, does this X-Wing have a canopy with hinges (like the EFX Studio Scale Replica) ???
Answer, because it's effectively a £900 toy, £1000 if you want the mirrored base...
Having made a Studio Scale Falcon, its also a real shame this X-Wing isn't 1/24...
That's my opinion, for what it's worth,...
Diving into the trench now (not the Death Star one, the one in my garden)

I think that you are missing something. There is no claim as with the Falcon that this is an exact replica to the filming miniature. In case there was any confusion they even made it their own scale. So effectively, they can make it any way they want and not be held to the same standard as the Falcon. So, kind of a bummer this is not a studio scale model. Come to think of it, this thread shouldn't probably be in the SS commercial kit section.

I think that you are missing something. There is no claim as with the Falcon that this is an exact replica to the filming miniature. In case there was any confusion they even made it their own scale. So effectively, they can make it any way they want and not be held to the same standard as the Falcon. So, kind of a bummer this is not a studio scale model. Come to think of it, this thread shouldn't probably be in the SS commercial kit section.

yeah isn't the DeAgo falcon the ONLY commercial studio scale model?

Its funny how people are leaping to call it an expensive toy based on a single issue of a test run.... how about waiting till the actual parts become available before writing it off or not?

I got my last Falcon shipment recently and whilst it's not perfect, it's still the single most impressive kit of any kind that I've ever had. One that I could never have thought of getting if I'd have had to pay for it in one go...

I'll wait to see how the X-Wing shapes up for real before deciding to make another two year commitment, though..

yeah isn't the DeAgo falcon the ONLY commercial studio scale model?

What about the BG Cylon Raider? And maybe the Viper--though can't remember for sure.

Although, this sub forum really was inspired by the DeAgo MF, and I'm not sure of too many other possibilities. It's like a subforum at the general modeling section for the Zveda SD.

Did ILM make a 1/18 scale X-Wing? I thought they did the 1/24 Scale for ANH and that big ass 1/12 Scale or what ever that they never used for ROTJ...could be wrong but.

StarWars015-vi.jpg

df8cb98da2ba2e04a513c153f55ae35d.jpg
Is this the 1/12...I always wondered why this model looked so different compared to Biggs RED 3 from ANH, but again Biggs bought the farm so theoretically they made a new RED 3 for the battle of Endor, salvaging the wreck and patching her up with new parts...hence the "Patched" look of the 1/12...just thinking out loud here :p

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back