Deadpool urethane mask

Inky37

I've been wanting to do this for awhile, and I finally built a core to sculpt off of a couple weeks ago so I figured I'd go for it. I'm not very far along yet, I've only been able to put in 30 minutes to an hour each day over the course of the past week, but I'm happy with the progress. My plan is to add a hidden zipper in the back, but we'll see how things end up.
I didn't have enough of the more rigid clay and had to lay a much softer clay on top, so I ended up making a junk mold and doing most of my sculpting/clean up on a Smoothcast model. Lots of bondo, Apoxy, and sanding later... I'm happy with his expression and how smooth everything is, so the next step will be to carve out the black areas of his mask and add the seams. After that I'll texture with paint and hopefully be molding soon.
Anyways, on with the pics. Thanks for looking!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

After psyching myself up for most of the morning, I took a chisel to my master and started carving out the black areas. I still need to smooth some spots out, but progress!
image.jpg

Looks great. Can't wait to see final product. Sculpting is a skill I have attempted to learn. I'm always impressed by the talent on the rpf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, got the other side done. Just need to smooth out a few areas, patch a few more holes and add the seams that run from the tops and bottoms of the black parts, then paintimage.jpg.

Still need to add the seams, but I decided to go ahead and lay down a couple layers of paint to see how far along I really was.
image.jpgimage.jpg

This is looking great!

Is this going to be a display piece only, or are you going to be looking into how to make it breathable to be able to wear it?

Either way, good work!

This is looking great!

Is this going to be a display piece only, or are you going to be looking into how to make it breathable to be able to wear it?

Either way, good work!

Thank you! Yes, I intend to wear this. I sculpted it a little oversized so that it wouldn't be tight against my face, and I'm considering hiding some pinholes in the seam lines for air to get in and out. Though I'm sure there will be plenty of trial and error.

Haven't touched this guy in three days, so not a huge update here, but I ended up redoing the texture this morning. Not quite as "sharp" now.
Just painted on my first layer of silicone, so hopefully I'll be pouring a mask by the end of the week.
image.jpg

Since I'm getting close, anyone have any experience adding zippers to a urethane mask? (i.e. best glue to use, is it possible to sew through the material, etc.)
Trying to decide if I want to add the zipper or maybe add eyelets and lace up the back instead.

Alright, still needs to be cleaned/trimmed/painted, but here he is fresh out of the mold! The texture is a bit more subtle than I had hoped, I might go back and "dry brush" some urethane to the outside to build the texture back up.
Also, testing out some grommets on a scrap piece of urethane. Leaning towards lacing up the back instead of a zipper like I had originally planned.
image.jpgimage.jpg

It looks awesome Inky. Where or how did you learn to do this stuff? Also are your interested in selling these to people? If show what would your price mark be?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back