Deadpool urethane mask

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Inky37, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

I've been wanting to do this for awhile, and I finally built a core to sculpt off of a couple weeks ago so I figured I'd go for it. I'm not very far along yet, I've only been able to put in 30 minutes to an hour each day over the course of the past week, but I'm happy with the progress. My plan is to add a hidden zipper in the back, but we'll see how things end up.
    I didn't have enough of the more rigid clay and had to lay a much softer clay on top, so I ended up making a junk mold and doing most of my sculpting/clean up on a Smoothcast model. Lots of bondo, Apoxy, and sanding later... I'm happy with his expression and how smooth everything is, so the next step will be to carve out the black areas of his mask and add the seams. After that I'll texture with paint and hopefully be molding soon.
    Anyways, on with the pics. Thanks for looking!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. The Full Armor

The Full Armor Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool!

3. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks! It's been a fun project, I've never done a full cowl before, just the smaller half face masks.

4. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

After psyching myself up for most of the morning, I took a chisel to my master and started carving out the black areas. I still need to smooth some spots out, but progress!
    image.jpg

5. max headroom

max headroom Active Member

Looks great. Can't wait to see final product. Sculpting is a skill I have attempted to learn. I'm always impressed by the talent on the rpf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be molding sometime next week.

7. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Alright, got the other side done. Just need to smooth out a few areas, patch a few more holes and add the seams that run from the tops and bottoms of the black parts, then paint image.jpg .

8. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Still need to add the seams, but I decided to go ahead and lay down a couple layers of paint to see how far along I really was.
    image.jpg image.jpg

9. wakeboardjedi

wakeboardjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good

10. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks!

11. Athanasius

Athanasius Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is looking great!

Is this going to be a display piece only, or are you going to be looking into how to make it breathable to be able to wear it?

Either way, good work!

12. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thank you! Yes, I intend to wear this. I sculpted it a little oversized so that it wouldn't be tight against my face, and I'm considering hiding some pinholes in the seam lines for air to get in and out. Though I'm sure there will be plenty of trial and error.

13. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Texture added, just need to take down some of the shine
    image.jpg

14. jimbob1986

jimbob1986 Member

That is super cool, looking forward to more updates

15. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks! Waiting on some rubber to come in, hopefully I'll be molding it next week.

16. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Haven't touched this guy in three days, so not a huge update here, but I ended up redoing the texture this morning. Not quite as "sharp" now.
    Just painted on my first layer of silicone, so hopefully I'll be pouring a mask by the end of the week.
    image.jpg

17. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Since I'm getting close, anyone have any experience adding zippers to a urethane mask? (i.e. best glue to use, is it possible to sew through the material, etc.)
    Trying to decide if I want to add the zipper or maybe add eyelets and lace up the back instead.

18. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Alright, still needs to be cleaned/trimmed/painted, but here he is fresh out of the mold! The texture is a bit more subtle than I had hoped, I might go back and "dry brush" some urethane to the outside to build the texture back up.
    Also, testing out some grommets on a scrap piece of urethane. Leaning towards lacing up the back instead of a zipper like I had originally planned.
    image.jpg image.jpg

19. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Close up of the texture.
    image.jpg

Alpha Proto likes this.
  20. Deadpoolx07

Deadpoolx07 Active Member

It looks awesome Inky. Where or how did you learn to do this stuff? Also are your interested in selling these to people? If show what would your price mark be?

21. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks! I've been doing this type of work for a health education company for the last 11 years (training models for hospitals/schools/etc), just learning as I go. I just got into making masks and props a couple years ago. I've still got some bugs to work out in the casting process, but I might do a small run when I get everything tightened up.

22. Deadpoolx07

Cool. I'm working on a Deadpool Movie costume and would love to get my hands on a well made full head mask like this.

23. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Got everything trimmed up and started on paint today. Just the shadows and highlights so far, still need to lay down the black.
    Also got the slit in the back cut, I'll add the grommets for the laces when I finish paint. I like it but I think I'll cut it just a bit thinner next time (right now there's a 1/2" gap, I'll aim for 1/4" on the next one.)
    image.jpg image.jpg

24. Deadpoolx07

Looking good dude. How are you planning on hiding the lacing for the back? Or are you just gonna have it as is kinda thing?

25. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks! I'm going to have them showing, I think it'll be a good look with the right laces. But since I'm going to be cutting the slit narrower on the next one I might install a zipper to see both options.

26. Deadpoolx07

Cool deal. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

27. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Alright, got it all painted up and the lace holes knocked out. Unfortunately the grommets I had weren't thick enough. I'll need to pick some up before I call this finished, but essentially it's done. Only thing left to figure out besides the grommets is the eyes. I have some white mesh I can glue in, but I was also considering ordering some solid white contacts that way there would actually be some expression/movement involved.
    image.jpg image.jpg

28. taikairyu

taikairyu Active Member

I would pay $200 to $250 for this! Let me know if you start any sort of production

29. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

I had some problems with the sizing (mannequin head wasn't as advertised, but that's my fault for not checking first) so I'm making some changes to the master right now, but when I get it remolded I'll definitely let you know.

30. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Got it resized and molded last week, just now getting around to pulling my test cast. It fits!
    Still working on the color, but it's getting there. Going to drill out some vents along the inside edges of the black areas to help with air flow and test out some new grommets for the laces (though they're mostly for aesthetic purposes, I laced up the first version of this without them and had no problems with durability)
    image.jpg image.jpg

31. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Got my test casting all painted up, unfortunately the new grommets still didn't work, so I'll have to keep messing with that. But again, that was just for a certain look, I haven't had any durability issues with the laces so far so I'm not in a big hurry with that.
    image.jpg
    And just goofing around (photoshopped eyes, obviously)
    image.jpg image.jpg

wakeboardjedi likes this.
  32. thejakemoore

thejakemoore Well-Known Member

Did you decide to not do the seam lines coming out of the eyes?

33. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Yeah, I've seen him drawn with and without, and since mine doesn't look like cloth I thought it didn't really make sense to have them.

34. TestEagle

TestEagle Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This looks great, good work! would look nice with my leather or cordura Deadpool movie suit.

35. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks! It was a fun project.
    Hopefully by the time I have all the kinks worked out I'll finally be at 50 posts, I was considering a small run if the interest was there.

36. D4V1D0

D4V1D0 New Member

What's it like to breathe in? Do you end up with the inside getting wet from breathing on it?

Looks awesome! Nice to see some Deadpool back on here :)

37. Inky37

Inky37 New Member

Thanks!
    No trouble breathing, the eyes/vents do a pretty good job. But yes, it's pretty hot in there. It was ok inside the house but when I got outside in my leather jacket I started sweating pretty bad.