DC/Maryland Conventions...2014

Re: Katsucon/Cherry Blossom Festival

Yep...Katsucon was last weekend. The hotel was great, and I had an absolute blast and made a bunch of new friends.

There's always next year! Maybe we can arrange some sort of RPF meet up. There were 5 of us that I know of there last week.

The 5 of us were all in Doctor Who related costumes.

Now that I think of it, I believe RPFer Scruffyrebel was supposed to be there, but I could be wrong.

While Katsu is primarily an Anime con, it has its share of sci fi, video game, Disney, and superhero costumers/cosplay (not starting THAT debate here).

Check YouTube for Katsucon 2012 vids. The hotel is stunning.

Well, I will be Cobra Commander whenever Pepmaster gets this sculpt done. I plan on being there next year, work permitting.

I guess the Cherry Blossom festival has people dress up also.

Fear not that Katsucon is over. For Otakon is right around the corner.

There's also Shore Leave the weekend after Otakon.

And there's Farpoint, but you just missed that one too.

All in all, there are plenty of chances to get your nerd on in the local area.

Last edited:

:thumbsup I can make that...This project is hold anyways...who want's to do a GI Joe skit?!

Last edited:

I noticed that your location says Maryland. You could go to the Pittsburgh Comicon or Steel City, which aren't as large but still fun. Please tell me you go to the Baltimore Comicon. I know there will be a few RPFers there this year.

I noticed that your location says Maryland. You could go to the Pittsburgh Comicon or Steel City, which aren't as large but still fun. Please tell me you go to the Baltimore Comicon. I know there will be a few RPFers there this year.

I'm guessing that's the biggest Con around Maryland, so I'll defintely let you guys know!

Re: DC/Maryland Conventions...

There's also MAGFest (was 'midatlantic gaming festival', now 'Music And Gaming fest') in National Harbor - I remember when it was first starting up and they were pitching it at PhillyClassic, but it seems pretty big now; this year's had guests like Ellen McLain of GLaDOS fame, for instance. It's basically around new years, and if you've got costumes even remotely video-game related they'll probably be a hit. I've never been because of the holiday timing, but I keep wanting to.

I'm a Marylander, and do Farpoint and Shoreleave every year. I recently completed a Cobra Officer for Farpoint just a few weeks ago.

As PrimoOptimoso mentioned, MAGFest. This past January was my 4th time going, and every year has been a blast. Basically it's a 5-day festival of non-stop music and video games, and it gets bigger every time. This past year they had 0ver 200 arcade machines set up, ranginc from classics from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, more current machines such as DDR and Guitar Hero, and bunches of Japanese machines, including fighters and "bullethell" games. On top of that, they had several tables with various consoles all hooked up for local gaming, and a whole section for people who brought their PCs for some classic LAN action. And as for the music, they had a bunch of guests this past year, but I only managed to see two. The Minibosses, and Nobuo Uematsu's (composer of several FF classics) band, the Earthbound Papas.

In short, if you love music and video games, you don't want to miss it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back