D-Projects: Logan's Run-Deep Sleep Gun Builds - Electronic Version

Re: D-Projects: Logan's Run-Deep Sleep Gun BCv3 Build

Well Del that 1000 lumen LED is pretty bright. I don't have the driver yet as they haven't shipped 2/3 of my order. I stuck a couple of AAA batteries straight across the LED and it nearly blinded me just with a brief flash. I have a 5W green LED that I just got and I'm not sure what voltage it uses. 4.5V barely made it glow.

I rewatched the DVD of the movie last night for the hell of it. Sigh Jenny Agutter was hot..

I didn't look right at it but it was still a bit brighter than I expected. I can't check how it's going to be with the optic over it as they haven't sent them. The LED I got is the XMLAWT so I knew it runs from 3v-3.5V so it was easy to test with two alkalines though it can draw about 3000mA.

I plan to run it off an 18650 or 14550. A 14550 would fit in the gas chamber (make a battery holder) and then I could just use the charger I have for them.

The 5W LED has no info on its page at DealExtreme. I thought it might have come with some.

The green Star LED I have is quite bright though.

Whichever way I go I would like to use a driver just to prolong the life of the LED as they do get bloody hot due to the current draw.

LOL, You ain't s'pose to look at it while you test it.. OH MY EYES!!!!

For the 5W, just look it up and see what the forward voltage should be and max amps..

XM-LT60 1000LM LED White Light Emitter with 18mm Base(2.9~3.5V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

XMLAWT 1000-Lumen LED Emitter White Light Bulb (3.0~3.5V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I didn't look right at it but it was still a bit brighter than I expected. I can't check how it's going to be with the optic over it as they haven't sent them. The LED I got is the XMLAWT so I knew it runs from 3v-3.5V so it was easy to test with two alkalines though it can draw about 3000mA.

I plan to run it off an 18650 or 14550. A 14550 would fit in the gas chamber (make a battery holder) and then I could just use the charger I have for them.

The 5W LED has no info on its page at DealExtreme. I thought it might have come with some.

The green Star LED I have is quite bright though.

Whichever way I go I would like to use a driver just to prolong the life of the LED as they do get bloody hot due to the current draw.

The muzzle of the gun is basically a huge heatsink. So the LED should run cool. Main thing is to regulate the amps so it does not burn out.

If your using a Nicksdad DSFG, the 18650 won't fit in the gas chamber. Usable depth is only about 5.5cm. The 18650 is already 6.5cm without wires or insulators. The 14500 will work fine but runtime will be limited due to capacity. 7/8" poly tubing works well in the chambers if your looking to make a battery holder.

Yeah just a shame the gas chamber isn't just a little bit longer. I like the 18650 batteries - they are good for projects. It doesn't matter too much I guess if a 14500 doesn't last a long time. They charge pretty quickly and being able to get it in and out easily is a plus. I have a few of them so can charge one while another is in the gun.

Another option is to fit a charger socket under that slot near the left grip. Some of the tip and sleeve DC power plugs are very small diameter. I did think of fitting a charging connection of some kind into the display base I use. I haven't thought far ahead yet.

I'm using two 14500's in another project as they fit perfectly into AA battery holders. Then the 7.2-7.4V will be regulated down to 5V to power the microcontroller circuit I'm making. It will supply a constant 5V for a good range of discharge of the batteries.

In the DSFG I did think of using two 14500's in the grip and regulating down and using a LED driver.

The muzzle of the gun is basically a huge heatsink. So the LED should run cool. Main thing is to regulate the amps so it does not burn out.

If your using a Nicksdad DSFG, the 18650 won't fit in the gas chamber. Usable depth is only about 5.5cm. The 18650 is already 6.5cm without wires or insulators. The 14500 will work fine but runtime will be limited due to capacity. 7/8" poly tubing works well in the chambers if your looking to make a battery holder.

Yeah just a shame the gas chamber isn't just a little bit longer. I like the 18650 batteries - they are good for projects. It doesn't matter too much I guess if a 14500 doesn't last a long time. They charge pretty quickly and being able to get it in and out easily is a plus. I have a few of them so can charge one while another is in the gun.

Another option is to fit a charger socket under that slot near the left grip. Some of the tip and sleeve DC power plugs are very small diameter. I did think of fitting a charging connection of some kind into the display base I use. I haven't thought far ahead yet.

I'm using two 14500's in another project as they fit perfectly into AA battery holders. Then the 7.2-7.4V will be regulated down to 5V to power the microcontroller circuit I'm making. It will supply a constant 5V for a good range of discharge of the batteries.

In the DSFG I did think of using two 14500's in the grip and regulating down and using a LED driver.

Twin 14500s will fit in the grip just fine. That's where I usually put them, in one half of the grip. The other half is left for electronics. This gives you about .5cm of clearance between the two. You don't need a battery holder if your going to install a recharge port. Just hot melt glue them into the grip half. If you need a recharge port, I have one already built that specifically fits into the gas chamber so you can completely hide it away. Here is a pic..

320791_275493425818659_100000740110316_888084_1350776100_n.jpg

Being recharged..
316886_275493409151994_100000740110316_888083_1205437903_n.jpg

As for the 18650s, I have about 70 of them, charged and ready for projects. :love

If you need a recharge port, I have one already built that specifically fits into the gas chamber so you can completely hide it away.

Not too hard if I decided to go that way. I was just looking at possible options that were sort of automatic where it could charge while sitting on its display stand. The thing is these batteries do hold a charge pretty well when not in use so only charging now and then would be fine.

Being recharged..
316886_275493409151994_100000740110316_888083_1205437903_n.jpg
How do you find the Turnigy charger? Does it charge pretty quickly? I see it can charge a few different types. I had considered buying one.

As for the 18650s, I have about 70 of them, charged and ready for projects. :love

I think they are great batteries. You can get them with a fairly decent capacity and they help add a bit of weight to things (not that the DSFG needs any more weight). They are quick to charge or partially charge as well and being Lithium based don't tend to develop memory problems.

The top of the resin grip pieces have a bit of a gap. Have people bothered to fill that or just left it open? Of course if the one was putting the wire and connector in for accuracy I guess it would be open.

Got the Turnigy Accucell-6 for $23 from HobbyKing.Com

Spec.
Input Voltage: 11~17v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v
Weight: 355g

It can charge/balance several types of batteries, not just Lith-Ion, up to 6 cells in series.

The Accucell-8 is another good one that can do 8 cells in series for $45.
Spec.
Operating voltage range: 11.0~18.0Volt
Circuit power: max. 150W
Charge current range: 0.1~7.0A
Discharge current range: 0.1~5.0A
NiCd/NiMH battery cell count: 1~27 cells
Lithium bettery cell count: 1~8 Series
Pb battery voltage: 2 to 36V
Weight: 625g
Dimensions: 170X125X35mm

They work like a champ for multiple projects.

Note: I use an old IBM laptop power supply with the Accucell-6. It plugs right in and supplies 16v @ 4.5A

Last edited:

Yeah it cost me a lot more than that locally. I had been looking to buy one and bought it just before seeing this message. The cheapest price with a power supply was AU$75. Some places are asking over $100. I could have bought the Accucel-8 for less than that from Hobby King. I even have a couple of old IBM laptop supplies laying around as I thought of getting one without the supply and figured that would work. Oh well such is life.

Got the Turnigy Accucell-6 for $23 from HobbyKing.Com

Note: I use an old IBM laptop power supply with the Accucell-6. It plugs right in and supplies 16v @ 4.5A

Yeah it cost me a lot more than that locally. I had been looking to buy one and bought it just before seeing this message. The cheapest price with a power supply was AU$75. Some places are asking over $100. I could have bought the Accucel-8 for less than that from Hobby King. I even have a couple of old IBM laptop supplies laying around as I thought of getting one without the supply and figured that would work. Oh well such is life.

I have a whole box of PSUs. Everything from 5vdc to 48vdc output. We have a electronics repo depot at the office so I grab them and Lith-Ion battery packs before they get recycled. Snagged (6) WD Caviar 160gb SATA-II hard drives the other day. Nothing wrong with them, but they have been replaced with higher capacity drives and they just tossed them into the trash.

The PSUs are great for LED projects.

Re: Logan's Run : Deep Sleep Gun BCv3 Build

Get those recharge ports in and they both will be done. I never got the recharge port installed in mine.. LOL

I need to find some tubing that fits snugly into the gas chamber. Little differences with things made in inches and things made in mm. There is always Silastic to hold it.

Still waiting on Erv to release the new BlasterCore boards..

Aaarrrgghh. Me too.

Del this may seem like an obvious silly thing, but how have you attached the main tube body to the top of the grip assembly? Did you screw it somehow? Use the compression pins? Or just glue it together? It would be nice to be able to disassemble it if need be.

Re: Logan's Run : Deep Sleep Gun BCv3 Build

I need to find some tubing that fits snugly into the gas chamber. Little differences with things made in inches and things made in mm. There is always Silastic to hold it.

I went to the pvc tubing section of the local Home Depot and found that 7/8" poly tubing fits perfectly. I think it's 2.2 or 2.25cm.

Del this may seem like an obvious silly thing, but how have you attached the main tube body to the top of the grip assembly? Did you screw it somehow? Use the compression pins? Or just glue it together? It would be nice to be able to disassemble it if need be.

I attached the main tube body using a thin layer of JB Weld epoxy. It bonds firmly but with some effort (if you had too), you could separate it from the grip frame. I've actually had to do this before. Under normal handling, the bond is strong enough that it takes more than just pulling on it to separate them. I do use a set screw on the muzzle so that the LED can be serviced or replaced with other colors and outputs. The rear gas chamber is threaded so no need to epoxy it. The resin grips are held in place by compression pins.

Last edited:

Still waiting on DealExtreme to send the rest of my order. Only 3 of 7 items were sent about a month ago with no word on when the rest will ship. So no driver circuit or optics for the big bright LED. Finally managed to order a couple of Blaster Cores v4.0 but he had no extender boards for the high power LED. Maybe I'll just use one of the sound boards I got for the WH13 Farnsworth and save the Blaster Cores for something more complicated. I think a single sound would e enough for the DSFG.

I have a couple power extenders from my BCv3 purchase left. Don't know if I will need them...

Amazing detail - AWESOME Build - Thanks for sharing.

Gordon

Can't believe how slow DealExtreme has been sending stuff out. Got a little bag of optics the other day but they still owe me 3 things from my first order and all of my second order. It would be nice if they would say that they just didn't have something instead of taking an order and sending when they feel like it. Contacting support is completely useless.

So still waiting on the LED drivers from them and my Blaster Cores from Erv.

My BCv4's came in a couple of weeks ago. They are still sitting in the anti-static bags. Been too busy to do anything with them. I should have ordered more but my wife set a limit on me. Darn!

Yay the BCv4's showed up. Staring at me through their little bag.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back