D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

I spent ten years with smallville hoping for greatness and got nothing but disappointment. Best part of the series was lex and jonathan kent. then you had weird crap like witch lana, papa lex falling in love with mama kent. a space ship and history of krypton possibly being an ancient warring race that never really got resolved (as far as I can remember)...a whiny clark kent who set superman back ten years in character development. and battles that took a whole season to develop that got finished in 2 minutes. the final kicker being that we never got a full shot of him in the suit because of the shows mantra. because of that, I no longer think of tom welling as the best modern clark kent like I did at the start of the show.

I skipped arrow entirely because it looked too dark and depressing and trying to be like batman. I skipped Gotham entirely because...well, batman IS gotham. no one cares about how everyone else got started if Batman isn't in it.

I decided to give flash a try, because to me, flash was always a light hearted adventure. and boy was I not dissapointed. fixed everything wrong with smallville. The Budget increased and effects got better. battles got made a little longer. the writing improved, dropping any stupid romance angst or making sure it wasn't the center of the plot. Barry is a light hearted hero and his relationship with joe is the best part of the show. season one was fun from start to finish. season two isn't so great so far (with the stupid death of one half of firestorm) but i'll give it a chance to get better.

Supergirl lost me from early on. I've NEVER been a fan of race or gender changing characters. either do the character AS WRITTEN or don't do it at all. VERY rarely does a major recast work. (flash being an exception, although I can take or leave iris as she is written) And making Jimmy Olsen into a hip young 6 foot tall black guy....it just isn't jimmy olsen any longer. other than that, i've only seen the first 6 minutes of it... so FAR..it's not bad. I'll watch the rest later when I can commercial skip.

The pacing definitely felt a little rushed and some on the writing was pretty horrible.

"On my world, women bow before the men"
Oh, come on! Even Ed Wood did a better job at doing sexist dialogue!
"In my land, women are for advancing the race, not for fighting man's battles."

If there's anything that's going to keep me invested in this show, it's Melissa Benoist. I cannot think of any other actress who could do this role as well as she did. Even if the pilot material was pretty weak, the show has all the pieces it needs to be something great. The intent is right, the casting is right and the direction is right. Just slow down a bit, improve the writing a bit and we've got a solid winner.

Okay, I'll admit... I was wrong (though, in my defense, the promo piece was pretty horrible). This was a strong opening episode and I am very much looking forward to seeing where this show goes.

Looks like enough people complained about her hair color for them to tweak it in post. Shame, because I kinda liked it before. It seemed more real, for lack of a better phrase

The standout good: Lucy Lane! I've had a crush on Jenna Dewan Tatum ever since watching Tamara. Too bad she's married to Channing Tatum...

The standout bad: Mondays at 8/7c?!?! Seriously? That's the same time as Gotham. You're pitting two DC properties against each other? Not the wisest of moves. Shoulda gone with a Thursday timeslot to have no interference with other superhero shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, this pilot nailed the all the feelings that would come with being a super-hero. Where there is self-doubt, there is support. Where there was feelings of being overwhelmed, there was the digging down deep to overcome. Where there is seriousness, there is also humor. This nailed everything that Man of Steel tried to do, but failed miserably. Zack Snyder and company could learn a lot from this, as they embrace who Supergirl is, and not try to tweak her to the point of not being recognized.

To me, this pilot nailed the all the feelings that would come with being a super-hero. Where there is self-doubt, there is support. Where there was feelings of being overwhelmed, there was the digging down deep to overcome. Where there is seriousness, there is also humor. This nailed everything that Man of Steel tried to do, but failed miserably. Zack Snyder and company could learn a lot from this, as they embrace who Supergirl is, and not try to tweak her to the point of not being recognized.

You honestly believe that MoS tried for a similar feel and failed?

I always saw it as MoS trying for a grimdark feel and succeeding wildly, but nobody liked it.

Last edited:
Frankly, a better opener that I would have thought. It was fun but it tried to cram in too much.

The characters are a bit arch and the media boss (Calista) was a terrible cliche right out of the "Things You're Tired of Seeing in Movies" thread. I like Flockart, so no problem with her. The concept of her character is B A D and the interactions between her and Kara were awful. Unless the Calista character will become a champion and friend to SG then that she needs serious revamping.

And do we really need Jimmy Olsen in this, is anyone tuning in because they adore that character? Not at all. Make him a new character, especially since he's inexplicably been morphed into a tall, bald, black guy and except for the name has nothing to do with JO at all.

Still, not a bad start, so fingers crossed that this improves instead of going the other way.

And do we really need Jimmy Olsen in this, is anyone tuning in because they adore that character? Not at all. Make him a new character, especially since he's inexplicably been morphed into a tall, bald, black guy and except for the name has nothing to do with JO at all.

^^ This. Turning Jimmy into an ex-linebacker who was the cool guy at school totally takes away who Jimmy Olsen is. He is a kid, awkward, not popular, borderline nerdy. I don't like the "new" Jimmy at all.

I thought it was okay--not great but okay. I'm just getting tired of the same old formula of the hero having some team of non-powered people who all know their secret identity--usually some really smart people and usually some form of law enforcement person--who stay behind in some control room and talk to the hero through some ear com. It seems like they are just there so there can be some kind of conversation going on during the fights because we, the viewers, cannot figure out what is going on unless we are given word by word descriptions of it.

^^ This. Turning Jimmy into an ex-linebacker who was the cool guy at school totally takes away who Jimmy Olsen is. He is a kid, awkward, not popular, borderline nerdy. I don't like the "new" Jimmy at all.

cause it's not jimmy. just like smallville jimmy pulling the 'not really him' bit at the end after he got killed off for shock value wasn't jimmy. just like MOS 'jenny' olsen wasn't jimmy. ugh. this poor character has suffered quite a bit in recent years...you'd think with shows like big ba ng theory, the original nerdy jimmy would make a great comeback. but no.

i'm waiting for indian jimmy who is a computer hacker in the next incarnation.

He saved us...

*shakes head*

Gah! Why did you remind me of that?

But here's the question I think we should all be asking. Was this pilot better than the Supergirl movie?

Way better but I admit I haven't looked at that movie since forever.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back