D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

Well... this should be exciting...

SUP2076_Lex-Luthor_1st-Look_1200_5c48ba9697d8e3.22257416.jpg

I also agree that it's garbage, but I find that very depressing. Sometimes it seems like my favorites just can't catch a break in live action. Supergirl is a really great character with tons of potential. So is Superman for that matter. It's shameful to fail with such good ingredients.

They had great characters and a good cast in my opinion, just bad leadership. I get the feeling the people making it don't even like Supergirl. Certainly not enough to spend time giving it a coherent and stable story. But their disdain for the project mostly manifests in how cartoonish it is. It's like they think the character is stupid, so the only people who like it must want the story to be just as stupid.

The real shame is that every time a company does something like this, it just means a great character is going to ultimately get put back in the closet for another two decades before anyone's willing to give it a real try.

Legends lost me first.

Then Supergirl stopped being interesting when they made her a carbon copy of Clark ("I'm a plucky reporter TOO!!").

Then I got tired of the constant pointless bickering on Arrow.

Flash followed shortly behind Arrow, since the same heartwarming message kept getting "learned" over, and over, and over.

The writers being preachy on lots of topics didn't drive me away, but it sure didn't help keep me around. I've no need for every character to be completely open to all sided of an argument, but it gets tiring when something is shouted from a soap box at the start of an episode, and EVERY character has changed their deep rooted convictions by the end of that episode, to align with the prescribed paradigm.

Not sure what happened in the show lately to put this back on my radar, but I've been hearing a lot about it this week...all negative, and it's got me thinking about the character again.

I doubt anyone reading this will ever get the chance, but if someone ever tries to make a good one, here's what I love about the character:

Supergirl has all of Supermans powers, but the character is richer in some ways, or at least different. Unlike Superman, she actually remembers her home world. And in my favorite versions of the story, she was older and sent to help him in his childhood, but due to accidents ended up not arriving till he'd already grown up. By itself that's a huge amount of character potential: that the kid she was supposed to protect ended up being her mentor. She has the guilt of not being there for him doubled by having him be there for her, mixed with being a little more balanced than him from actually having both a semi-normal childhood and a mentor to guide her when she got here. However, unlike Kal, she actually knows what they left behind, and in some ways is in a world that is much more alien to her than it ever was for him.

Also Superman, traditionally, is confident and smooth and pretends to be awkward and nerdy to be Clark, while Kara actually is a little awkward and nerdy, and instead of someone with their act together putting on a dorky persona, it's someone dorky who gets to put on an "I've really got my act together" persona. That's a HUGE difference and in some ways much easier for a lot of audience members to identify with.

I think it's a big mistake to view the characters as "Superman is a hero for boys, Supergirl is a hero for girls". They are different, with very different draws. In many ways I feel like I can identify more with Kara...being a bit awkward but occasionally putting on a confident persona to do a job. I honestly never understood the whole "It needs to be a girl for girls to like it and a boy for boys to like it." That's silliness that someone said and too many believed it, but there's never been much evidence for it. Plenty of girls like Superman and plenty of boys have always liked the strong action women we've been given (and contrary to what the producers of several well known movies lately seem to think: strong women in movies are not new, and they have been VERY successful in the past when done right).

Also (and this is something they actually did get right in this and and in the 80s with good casting): Kara is in many ways more likable than Clark.

Anyway...mostly I'm just talking to myself with this, but it was frustrating to see what I thought was a swing and a miss in the 80s and now another swing and a miss with a character that I still think could actually be one of the MOST compelling of the comic book heroes. Instead she's often portrayed as one of the least.

And this is something CW almost always gets wrong with pretty much every show it does: Comic book doesn't have to mean cartoony. And "Kid friendly" doesn't have to mean stupid.

Legends lost me first.

Then Supergirl stopped being interesting when they made her a carbon copy of Clark ("I'm a plucky reporter TOO!!").

Then I got tired of the constant pointless bickering on Arrow.

Flash followed shortly behind Arrow, since the same heartwarming message kept getting "learned" over, and over, and over.

I never liked Supergirl to begin with. It was barely tolerable, but it was SJW-Girl from the very first episode and I had no time for that.

Arrow and Flash both went off the rails about the same time, when both of them decided to be cookie-cutter melodramas that just so happened to have people in costumes in them. I don't care who is sleeping with who. But so long as it's on CW, that's all they're catering to.

At least Legends knew it was garbage and embraced it. But you're right, it wasn't that good after the first season and they kept looking for things to do and just kept bringing back all of the terrible villains from every other show. No thanks. It was never it's own thing.

And while I was at it, I dropped Blindspot, another Berlanti show, because it had the same problem as Arrow and Flash. All relationship melodrama that just so happened to have FBI agents in it. Hell no.

Ok, we discussed Batwoman. What did we think about the new episode of Supergirl? New suit, not bad, got pants now, but rips off Marvel's "disappearing suits and masks" deal. Honestly, I'm sick of that crap..period!! I hate it at Marvel and I hate it here or anywhere else.

Rest of the episode was...…………..well, was it worth talking about at all? As I write this I find I really can't even remember what happened...it was that noteworthy.

Oh yeah, new hairstyle, she has bangs now......New owner for Catco is a total beeotch...What else? Kara reveals her identity to the Luthor chick and a lot of mopey millennial music plays.

Anything else? That's about all I can remember......

Sean Astin is now a Supergirl villain? Was quite surprised to see him show up. He must have a daughter who is really into the show or something.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back