Cyberpunk city diorama

It is no exaggeration to say that English is now almost a universal language. Marine terminology, air traffic control terminology, business terminology, computer-related terms, etc., etc. Also, for the Japanese, one of the most difficult things to learn and understand. It is a completely different concept from the Japanese language. Therefore, speaking English fluently is one of the most adorable skills for the Japanese.

Here are some funny pics that make you confused.

1701041923895.png

This is at a restaurant. It is supposed to mean 'All you can drink, all you can eat for 3,980 Yen'. 'Order Biking' ???
Maybe you think, why do we have to ride a bike in a restaurant?
Here in Japan, 'all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink' is called 'Baikingu' origin was Scandinavian pirates 'Viking'. That means eating and drinking wildly like Viking. And as you know, we Japanese have no pronunciation of V. Bi and Vi have the same pronunciation. You see? Viking → Biking.

1701042943393.png

This is the name of a bar.
American Hideout.
'Bar Dick' :oops: I think you don't want to bring your lady.
You have to hide your dick in the first place.
Most Japanese don't know the other meaning of 'dick' or 'Johnson'.

1701043401787.png

This was found at a construction site or a certain part of a park. They wanted to say, This place is dangerous, keep clear.
Why did this happen? We Japanese often omit the subject. And you put the words on Google Translate as it is. Google AI kindly adds the subject and ... Voila.

1701044046688.png

This is the name of a very well-known major pawnshop chain store. You can find this shop in many major cities in Japan. There's one in my town.
I always feel strange 'Why did they choose this name? Why not Hard-on?' Of course, most Japanese don't know the meaning as well as the shop owner.

1701044811685.png

This was found at a festival place. This booth was providing an Asian taste taco. 'They wanted to say Dragon Tacos'. Obviously, they are not gonna serve any drug-topping tacos... I hope so. Did Google Translate play a bad prank on this?

1701045321825.png

This was found at the amusement park. Sucking Room... I know what would they want to say. But I guess it should be a Nursing room. Or, any other purpose?

1701045898028.png

What does it mean? An eternal mystery.

1701046033595.png

I guess they didn't like to use 'Dead end ahead'. Dead is not an appropriate word for the public sign. The thoughtful consideration of Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. But I don't want to be ended.

1701046579231.png

At a furniture shop.
These very mysterious and enigmatic words might mean,
'Do not step on the bed with shoes'. After a long time of thinking, the Japanese word 上がる(agaru) or 上がらない(agaranai)
means Go up or not go up and also means a state of nervousness. when you happen to get up on a stage to sing or speak before the audience, you get nervous. We also say it 上がる agaru (I get nervous) or 上がらない agaranai (I don't get nervous).

1701046906293.png

On the street.
'The birds survive'. ...Oh yes. 'Please take care'(??)
The Japanese words obviously mean, 'Watch out for bird's droppings'

1701047267252.png

Somebody fix the dead neon light 'C'! This is not a dream city for proctologists.

1701047756267.png

Region free, OMG

1701048021944.png

There must be some obscene or exciting things waiting ahead.
I believe they want to say, 'If you feel tired, don't push yourself and walk slowly'. Not be your business.

1701048479566.png

Japanese words mean, 'Evacuation Ladder'
Huuum...

1701048876114.png

I can't find where I start to peck first. But what kind of phone do they have?! 'When the beep sounds and red light are on, Please help us rescue if possible' 'Please use the emergency phone system nearby for immediate report' ...Something like that. By the way, NEXCO is the Nippon Expressway Company. BIG company and was once run by the government.
1701049852268.png

1701050129024.png

Hey, don't use these people. :eek:

1701050361983.png

1701050443985.png
It's not a room for them!
1701050517932.png
This!

1701050754121.png

This is a pocket tissue paper vending machine in a public restroom.
Do I have to buy a used tissue for 100 yen?
They wanted to say, 'Toilet paper is not available in each restroom stall. Please buy a toilet tissue before use.
1701051144857.png

By the way, you can often get this pocket tissue on the street. A young lady hands you one with an AD for free.
1701051348336.png
It's handy!

1701051406152.png

At an esthetic salon
Horny care !!! Holy cow!
If it’s the 'The Care for sex maniac', I'm in!

1701051905010.png

Ahh...They did this with Google Translate.
Japanese word 分別 has two meanings with different pronunciations. Hun-betsu : judgment sensible
Bun-betu : Separation Sorting
Google Translate, troubling language.

1701055945803.png

Naaa, it wanted to say, Enjoy being a girl!

1701056495377.png

Horrible juice...

1701056935796.png

:lol:
Japanese words: Thank you for using this toilet cleanly. (?)

1701057145743.png

It wanted to say, Please refrain from using the toilet except for the guests.

1701057683211.png

From October 1st, the terrace will be all non-smoking.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Starbucks Coffee Shinjuku West

During these days of looking for web images for the AD sign, I found these pics. No matter how those AI translators will be improved, still, we Japanese should learn English seriously.

Thanks for looking!
Katsu

Attachments

• 1701043518972.png
    1701043518972.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
Years ago, I worked in a store that carried toys among other things. I remember seeing this warning label on one of them:

1701094667640.png

And yes, these signs really are funny, but we native English-speakers understand how complicated the language is. We don't get it right 100% of the time either! :D

That said, "PANIC CAREFULLY" seems like a 100% Japanese sentiment.

Many people say that Japanese is one of the most difficult languages in the world. 50 characters each in hiragana, katakana, and romaji. There are 2,130 common kanji characters, and each kanji has 5 to 8 readings. Also, they have several different meanings. crazy! However, if you look at Japanese conversation, the grammar is not that strict. You can choose the order of the words. If you can memorize and speak some basic verbs and nouns, you will be able to understand most Japanese people. If you have a chance to visit Japan, please try speaking some simple Japanese. Most Japanese people will be happy to talk to you. Japanese people have a complex about Westerners who speak English. English sounds too cool, so Japanese hesitates to speak in English.
And if you find a funny translation of a Japanese sign into English, laugh and forgive.

It is no exaggeration to say that English is now almost a universal language. Marine terminology, air traffic control terminology, business terminology, computer-related terms, etc., etc. Also, for the Japanese, one of the most difficult things to learn and understand. It is a completely different concept from the Japanese language. Therefore, speaking English fluently is one of the most adorable skills for the Japanese.

Here are some funny pics that make you confused.

View attachment 1764821
This is at a restaurant. It is supposed to mean 'All you can drink, all you can eat for 3,980 Yen'. 'Order Biking' ???
Maybe you think, why do we have to ride a bike in a restaurant?
Here in Japan, 'all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink' is called 'Baikingu' origin was Scandinavian pirates 'Viking'. That means eating and drinking wildly like Viking. And as you know, we Japanese have no pronunciation of V. Bi and Vi have the same pronunciation. You see? Viking → Biking.

View attachment 1764824
This is the name of a bar.
American Hideout.
'Bar Dick' :oops: I think you don't want to bring your lady.
You have to hide your dick in the first place.
Most Japanese don't know the other meaning of 'dick' or 'Johnson'.

View attachment 1764829
This was found at a construction site or a certain part of a park. They wanted to say, This place is dangerous, keep clear.
Why did this happen? We Japanese often omit the subject. And you put the words on Google Translate as it is. Google AI kindly adds the subject and ... Voila.

View attachment 1764834
This is the name of a very well-known major pawnshop chain store. You can find this shop in many major cities in Japan. There's one in my town.
I always feel strange 'Why did they choose this name? Why not Hard-on?' Of course, most Japanese don't know the meaning as well as the shop owner.

View attachment 1764836
This was found at a festival place. This booth was providing an Asian taste taco. 'They wanted to say Dragon Tacos'. Obviously, they are not gonna serve any drug-topping tacos... I hope so. Did Google Translate play a bad prank on this?

View attachment 1764837
This was found at the amusement park. Sucking Room... I know what would they want to say. But I guess it should be a Nursing room. Or, any other purpose?

View attachment 1764838
What does it mean? An eternal mystery.

View attachment 1764839
I guess they didn't like to use 'Dead end ahead'. Dead is not an appropriate word for the public sign. The thoughtful consideration of Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. But I don't want to be ended.

View attachment 1764841
At a furniture shop.
These very mysterious and enigmatic words might mean,
'Do not step on the bed with shoes'. After a long time of thinking, the Japanese word 上がる(agaru) or 上がらない(agaranai)
means Go up or not go up and also means a state of nervousness. when you happen to get up on a stage to sing or speak before the audience, you get nervous. We also say it 上がる agaru (I get nervous) or 上がらない agaranai (I don't get nervous).

View attachment 1764842
On the street.
'The birds survive'. ...Oh yes. 'Please take care'(??)
The Japanese words obviously mean, 'Watch out for bird's droppings'

View attachment 1764843
Somebody fix the dead neon light 'C'! This is not a dream city for proctologists.

View attachment 1764844
Region free, OMG

View attachment 1764845
There must be some obscene or exciting things waiting ahead.
I believe they want to say, 'If you feel tired, don't push yourself and walk slowly'. Not be your business.

View attachment 1764849
Japanese words mean, 'Evacuation Ladder'
Huuum...

View attachment 1764850
I can't find where I start to peck first. But what kind of phone do they have?! 'When the beep sounds and red light are on, Please help us rescue if possible' 'Please use the emergency phone system nearby for immediate report' ...Something like that. By the way, NEXCO is the Nippon Expressway Company. BIG company and was once run by the government.
View attachment 1764851

View attachment 1764852
Hey, don't use these people. :eek:

View attachment 1764853
View attachment 1764854It's not a room for them!View attachment 1764855 This!

View attachment 1764856
This is a pocket tissue paper vending machine in a public restroom.
Do I have to buy a used tissue for 100 yen?
They wanted to say, 'Toilet paper is not available in each restroom stall. Please buy a toilet tissue before use.
View attachment 1764867
By the way, you can often get this pocket tissue on the street. A young lady hands you one with an AD for free.
View attachment 1764873It's handy!

View attachment 1764887
At an esthetic salon
Horny care !!! Holy cow!
If it’s the 'The Care for sex maniac', I'm in!

View attachment 1764915
Ahh...They did this with Google Translate.
Japanese word 分別 has two meanings with different pronunciations. Hun-betsu : judgment sensible
Bun-betu : Separation Sorting
Google Translate, troubling language.

View attachment 1764929
Naaa, it wanted to say, Enjoy being a girl!

View attachment 1764930
Horrible juice...

View attachment 1764933
:lol:
Japanese words: Thank you for using this toilet cleanly. (?)

View attachment 1764934
It wanted to say, Please refrain from using the toilet except for the guests.

View attachment 1764937
From October 1st, the terrace will be all non-smoking.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Starbucks Coffee Shinjuku West

During these days of looking for web images for the AD sign, I found these pics. No matter how those AI translators will be improved, still, we Japanese should learn English seriously.

Thanks for looking!
Katsu
and don't forget one of the most known translations spawning countless memes

All Your Base Are Belong to Us
An awkward translation of "all of your bases are now under our control"

I have a friend in Japan that teaches English to kids. He lives in Numata-shi, Gunma. This is his youtube channel

I've actually known a handful of people over the years that have gone to Japan to teach english.
I struggle to spell very well, and probably do not use sentence structure like I'm suppose to.
So, I'd probably fit right along with everyone in Japan trying to learn....lol. And I grew up here.
and don't forget one of the most known translations spawning countless memes

All Your Base Are Belong to Us
An awkward translation of "all of your bases are now under our control"

I have a friend in Japan that teaches English to kids. He lives in Numata-shi, Gunma. This is his youtube channel

I also, struggle not only with English but also with Japanese. Most Japanese often speak not-so-correct Japanese. They don't care about it. However, in English, the Japanese are scared to use incorrect English when talking to Westerners and shut their mouth and freeze. I guess most English teachers from America would face this situation in the English classroom. I saw it in my English classroom at university. The teacher was an American gentleman but he was completely at a loss for what to do and so angry. I was able to speak English already at that time but I didn't help him. It was a shame. I regret it every time I remember it but in our mind, we really want to talk with Westerners about many things.

You’re not alone. As a writer and now editor I’m constantly frustrated with the lazy speech from people. “I seen him the other day.” NO you “saw” him the other day.

Take it for granite. NO take it for granted!

Im extremely smart. No, your extremely intelligent, except you’re not…

I could go on for a thousand kilobytes in this reply.

The English language is made up of over 40,000 words.

The average American speaks about 7,000.

And 3000 of them are used incorrectly.

Thaddeus-san,

In one of the sequels of the movie Avengers, Captain America often said to whoever used inappropriate words.
'Language!'

My father and mother used to warn me that 'Words make you' and 'If you use bad words, you'll be a bad guy' When I was young I thought the rough words were cool. If I listened to my parents carefully I should have been a better man.

I also, struggle not only with English but also with Japanese. Most Japanese often speak not-so-correct Japanese. They don't care about it. However, in English, the Japanese are scared to use incorrect English when talking to Westerners and shut their mouth and freeze. I guess most English teachers from America would face this situation in the English classroom. I saw it in my English classroom at university. The teacher was an American gentleman but he was completely at a loss for what to do and so angry. I was able to speak English already at that time but I didn't help him. It was a shame. I regret it every time I remember it but in our mind, we really want to talk with Westerners about many things.

There are lots of English speakers who speak terrible English as well.

although speaking "bad english" may actually be good for business

Thaddeus-san,

In one of the sequels of the movie Avengers, Captain America often said to whoever used inappropriate words.
'Language!'

My father and mother used to warn me that 'Words make you' and 'If you use bad words, you'll be a bad guy' When I was young I thought the rough words were cool. If I listened to my parents carefully I should have been a better man.
Katsu-San, you are kind, loyal, charismatic and honest. You’re one of the kindest men I know. I will never forget the love you and your daughter showed me when Covid first broke out.

Most of you don’t know this about them. I work at the hospital and masks were hard to get when it first came out. They sent masks, from Japan to me, for myself and my family.

Every day I was reminded of your kindness. You’re not just a friend, you’re a brother.

Your man in the trench coat reminds me of a character of mine in a book I’ve been slowly working on for the past few years. Dirk Diggins, Private Eye. It’s a collection of science fiction stories where he’s a hard boiled detective from the 1930’s and sometimes far in the future too, or on Mars…

IMG_3790.png

Though, I might prefer this picture as a cover more…

IMG_4100.jpeg

And here’s a woman modeling cyberpunk headphones…

IMG_4120.jpeg

Katsu-San, you are kind, loyal, charismatic and honest. You’re one of the kindest men I know. I will never forget the love you and your daughter showed me when Covid first broke out.

Most of you don’t know this about them. I work at the hospital and masks were hard to get when it first came out. They sent masks, from Japan to me, for myself and my family.

Every day I was reminded of your kindness. You’re not just a friend, you’re a brother.
Thank you Thaddeus-san,
My daughter and I thought we could be a little assistance for the medical people who struggling every day. At that moment, the pandemic situation was not so serious in Japan and the Japanese media announced that America was in a very critical situation. The medical people need masks and can't get enough rest and sleep. You asked us to send a mask because you saw my daughter's Youtube 'How to make a mask'. You said you were willing to pay for this but we have sent it for you. It wasn't a matter of money. Because you are my friend. And I know that you had a wonderful family. That's why and nothing special.

Last edited:
Your man in the trench coat reminds me of a character of mine in a book I’ve been slowly working on for the past few years. Dirk Diggins, Private Eye. It’s a collection of science fiction stories where he’s a hard boiled detective from the 1930’s and sometimes far in the future too, or on Mars…

View attachment 1765500

Though, I might prefer this picture as a cover more…

View attachment 1765501

And here’s a woman modeling cyberpunk headphones…

View attachment 1765502

Oh, I'm interested in your novel. Graphic novel?
Well, the man in a trench coat is a figure of 'Hachirou Azuma' He was a superhero of my childhood. He was the first cyborg detective with the capability of accelerated - I mean boosted augmented action ability. Just like the later US TV show '6 Million Dollar Man' He was killed by gangsters in his crime investigation and his body was recovered and reborn as an 8th prototype of a cyborg by Professor Tani. The movie 'RoboCop' was based on this story. 60 years ago, I still love him.

1701239405104.png

1701239548660.png

Oh, I'm interested in your novel. Graphic novel?
Well, the man in a trench coat is a figure of 'Hachirou Azuma' He was a superhero of my childhood. He was the first cyborg detective with the capability of accelerated - I mean boosted augmented action ability. Just like the later US TV show '6 Million Dollar Man' He was killed by gangsters in his crime investigation and his body was recovered and reborn as an 8th prototype of a cyborg by Professor Tani. The movie 'RoboCop' was based on this story. 60 years ago, I still love him.

View attachment 1765503

View attachment 1765504
Not a graphic novel, a collection of short stories.

Thank you for posting the video. I’ve never heard of him before. I’ll watch it later tonight.

Oh wow! I am honored by you using my last name on your new hotdog stand. Thank you! (y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: :cool::cool:

You are welcome and thank YOU for your usual support.

Great hot dog stand Katsu-san:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy:
Thank you, joberg-san!!
Not a graphic novel, a collection of short stories.

Thank you for posting the video. I’ve never heard of him before. I’ll watch it later tonight.
I can buy some of your paperback of the Sherlock Holmes series at Amazon Japan. No transrated version but I try to read them!

Last year I wrote a short novel. My 'Blade Runner 2'. That's the story after Deckard and Rachel hid away. Assembling the story and writing the sentences was strangely fun. On the other hand, it is difficult to write interesting and exciting works. Mine is rather melancholic.
Tom-san suggested me to translate it into English. I'm trying it but it's so hard to do. I'm not a native speaker and don't know much about words to describe.

Eight Man is a kind of sad story. Just like Robocop, he has to carry a human emotion with a high steel body. There were some attempts to be a movie but the consequences were miserable.

Today is another cold cloudy day. So I tried to fire smoke and shoot the diorama. Mixed the glycerine and water 1:2 poured it into the steel pan and heated it with a small gas burner. Soon, the white smoke rose and it filled the room. Smelled nothing and did not harm my throat.

gKpbx9t.jpg

X0OL0xf.jpg

ClHErei.jpg

CJeJ3Sj.jpg

T7J4x5n.jpg

jYIfHq6.jpg

URjzzv0.jpg

1AmEGdF.jpg

Ls4k7Yq.jpg

JiWPftw.jpg

nRDn6bx.jpg

JiWPftw.jpg

Thank you for looking, and Merry Christmas to you all!

QerFjF8.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back