Cyberpunk city diorama

Thank you for looking, stevielewis-san, Analyzer-san, and SCUDMAN-san!
I'm working on the actual model-sized drawings of stores, concession stands, restaurants, and street diners.

For reminding the sense of scale, I made a figures card and snatched the1/24 scale old Thunderbirds FAB-1 Rolls Royce that is the one I built with my daughter many years ago.

f7pUdkC.jpg

wk6wIFg.jpg

Katsu

Heck I started out going to school for engineering and I'm old enough that our high school drafting classes were all by hand, no computers or CAD. My project drawings don't even look that good! :lol:

I can't wait to see how this turns out! Say what you want about how they handled the game, the design (the city, vehicles, etc.) is awesome.

Looking good so far Katsu-san(y):notworthy::notworthy:
Thank you always, joberg-san!

Are you SURE you weren't an architect or engineer at some point?

Uh... Ah...

Heck I started out going to school for engineering and I'm old enough that our high school drafting classes were all by hand, no computers or CAD. My project drawings don't even look that good! :lol:

I can't wait to see how this turns out! Say what you want about how they handled the game, the design (the city, vehicles, etc.) is awesome.
Thank you so much, Tom-san, and Sluis Van Shipyards-san!

I confess. The basic technique of drafting was taught in junior high school.
All the Japanese public junior high school has such a classroom at least twice or three in a week. I loved the class all the time. Metalworks, wooden crafts, they even introduced how to build plastic kits. Of course, all of them were done by hand at that time.
In the era, all the industrial products are made in domestic and didn't even have a factory in China.
When I had difficulty finding a job in my 24, I happened to find a job in IHI-Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industry. Hey, my major in the university was 'Anglo-American poetics'. Completely different field.
I was working as a CAD operator for the design of a pipeline system for a nuclear power plant of the #3 reactor of the No.2 Fukushima plant. That was an old IBM System 360 that was developed in 1964. We even used the punch card for inputting the data. The plotter was California Computer Products Inc. That is all my background in technical things skills. It was the stone age knowledge.

Whoops, that was too long.

I've just finished the design of the shop front and started the overall rough sketch of the diorama.

xIi2eC6.jpg

This is what I expected.
The overall size will be 2'x2' and 7 feet high including a pedestal.
nOtNlbb.jpg

I am gonna add a botanical garden on the higher level of the structure and an advertising skyship.

pbABHIf.jpg

7DSumVS.jpg

I will post better than this later.

Please don't be bothered with amateur drawings.

Instead, today we are having a nice Spring rain.
My wife's small garden looks so beautiful right now.

pnz1PmW.jpg

LaPxlTt.jpg

Right? Mie-san,
JheK3rt.jpg

cbzNQP9.jpg

Thanks for watching,
katsu

Attachments

• ubgdtVp.jpg
    ubgdtVp.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I like the design for your noodle bar! Very clever how you incorporated the light bulb into the dragon's claw! And of course, the garden looks very relaxing.

Interesting story about school and work!

Love your designs. 7" high is pretty tall. Can't wait to see it. It will be an impressive sight for sure

and lastly, nothing more beautiful than the garden in the spring. Yours especially

Sir, you amaze me more and more each time, your concepts, designs, and skills are incredible, it’s not enough to say you are a great modeler, you are a great creator!

I remember the "Art of Final Fantasy" (long ago) and it reminds me of those drawings they did for the abandoned city.;)

I like the design for your noodle bar! Very clever how you incorporated the light bulb into the dragon's claw! And of course, the garden looks very relaxing.

Thank you so much, James-san!

Interesting story about school and work!

Love your designs. 7" high is pretty tall. Can't wait to see it. It will be an impressive sight for sure

and lastly, nothing more beautiful than the garden in the spring. Yours especially

Thanks!, So I have to make this model dividing into two or three parts.
Otherwise, I may not bring this model from my small shack.

Sir, you amaze me more and more each time, your concepts, designs, and skills are incredible, it’s not enough to say you are a great modeler, you are a great creator!

Wow, thanks for the kind praises. It's only the result of try and error but again thank you so much, mcusanelli-san!

I remember the "Art of Final Fantasy" (long ago) and it reminds me of those drawings they did for the abandoned city.;)

Thank you so much. joberg-san!

The overall design of the diorama is almost done.

BqXQAdo.jpg

The upper part of the high-rise building would be a mansion for the upper classes and the lower classes are living in an old building beside the rather obscene quarters.

IsBgcga.jpg

I drew this building futuristic but it didn't make any sense. So I drew it like an old brownstone building just like in Blade Runner.
That was a great movie!
tDwj4Nk.jpg

The narrow street of entertainment quarter.
I was imagining the Kabuki-cho in Shinjuku Tokyo or Doutonbori, Osaka. (It appeared in the movie Black Rain if you remember.
1650248732691.png
1650248869001.png

1650248777370.png

adt4Wi8.jpg

Still I have to design some street consession or diner, gabage bis...etc.
Thanks for looking,
Katsu

Last edited:
Excellent art and thank you for sharing your thoughts at the concept stage - that will make the build all the more fun to follow!

Thank you very much for your kind comment, publiusr-san, Michael-san, Lamby-san, James-san, and Analyzer-san!

Today I got to clean up the front porch, only a few hours to work on.

Here's the design of the food wagon. I think I'm gonna build this for food, or a quick fix wagon for the cyber-limb or eyes. Just like Mr. Minute's booth.

9sIOV4o.jpg

Well, I've just happened to remember a book I bought more than a decade ago.
It's the book of Japanese poets translated by Arthur Binard.
Poem... Yes, I'm the first poet modeler.

One of the reasons why I bought this book is its cover art.
I feel like I can find myself in the bunch of kids in this picture.

BRvIEo5.jpg

At the time I was born in the late 1950s, very few families have TV sets and no movies for the juveniles. My only fun was a picture-story showman. He carries a wooden box on his bicycle that contains various kinds of cheap sweets. He rang a cowbell to gather up the kids and selling cheap sweets for less than 10 cents. While we were chewing the sweets, he started to read out loud the picture story. I love the story of 'Golden Bat' That was a series of stories of the hero with the skull mask.

1650338533576.png
1650339047878.png
1650341008802.png

OK, most of all the poem in this book are my favorite.
Here's one of them.

Lemonade in the afternoon

By Chio Nakamura 1965

Afternoon comes equally to every home.
Respite, teatime....here the musical clock chimes,
and the lemonade's so cold your teeth twinge -
my visions are born out of this.
For these few moments,
the world is at peace. At the White House, and in the Kremlin.
people recline in their easy chairs.
even in those countries where real
upheaval occurs, folk rest in the shade
of trees and dream of sitting around a table
together, just enjoying one another's company.
"Have a seat. Would you like some tea?"
"No sugar in mine, thanks"
No matter how uneasy the afternoon
of civilization, we mustn't lose these moments,
for the sake of new vision to come.

One more,

from Dissonant Landscapes
by Saisei Muro 1918

Part 2

Hometown is the place you leave behind
and then long for ;
a place you sing plaintively.
Even if you end up
begging for your meals in an unfamiliar land,
still, it's best not to go back.
Alone in the big city at sundown
I think of my hometown
and the tears well up.
That's as it should be.
Abide in the distant city.
Abide in the distant city.

I think Mr.Binard did a great translation.

Thanks for looking!

katsu

Can't wait ! Designs look great so far.

I definitely agree that the "retro" look is so much better for these type of things rather than straight futuristic. Maybe that's why I love the steampunk genre as well. A great mixture of technology.

Hope you and the family are doing well !

Can't wait ! Designs look great so far.

I definitely agree that the "retro" look is so much better for these type of things rather than straight futuristic. Maybe that's why I love the steampunk genre as well. A great mixture of technology.

Hope you and the family are doing well !
Oh, Pcoz-san, thank you for dropping by!
Thanks for the kind words for my family. They are all alright and look forward to this project would be.
I may have to draw many more designs but I'will post from time to time.

katsu

Katsu,
Wow. Not only are you an exceptionally talented model maker, you are a great artist as well. Thank you for posting so many images of your design artwork.
It’s also great to read & appreciate the poetry here on the RPF since much of my own illustration ( & calligraphy) work involves quotations from Poetry.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back