Custom Tennant Sonic Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Custom Tennant Sonic Build-Assembly Drawing

Bingo!

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruze...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322790769&sr=1-7

Micro USB drive and a LED. You could even mod the removable cap on your build to accept the protective case of the USB so you know the fit would be right.

Trick is to find a supplier that you can get them at a really good discount through. I don't know if the price break that Amazon Seller is giving will hold up for a while or not.

yeah that looks the go, will see if i can get them local.

Last edited:

Glad I could help. I just hope you can get a good price with a bulk order. I don't know if it's a mistake in the listing or not but the price the Amazon seller is pushing them out the door for is kinda weird:

List Price: $82.99
Price: $19.99
You Save: $63.00 (76%)

Could you machine a body without the slider groove cut out? It would be cool to get one and make it push button, spring loaded instead of a slider!

Anything is possible NakedmoleRat

It is charismas

It is charismas

:lol I read that the same way the one weirdo pronounced "charisma" in the old David Lee Roth video when I read it. I'm still not sure if that's a spelling mistake or on purpose but it is way funny.

I had to much drink last night,,,,,,,, it shows

The more I look at this the more I think it would be cool to try to make a version like the MFX prototype with a spring loaded neck/head assembly. I would just need all the main parts, plus the clear neck and blue tip. I would take a crack at the rest of the insides.

Rassilon1...

Are you familiar with having aluminum parts alodined? It's a common practice to stop aluminum from surface corrosion, and doesn't change the look of the material. Not that it matters in this instance, but it also remains conductive.

Companies that anodize aluminum, commonly also can treat aluminum with alodine.

I use it on my holochess boards after I circular grain them so the nice look never changes. Finger prints wipe right off after treatment.

Put my vote in for an Eccleston-style sonic without a slot, so I can spring load it. I'm having so much fun modifying one of the Russrep spring loaded 8th sonics to display with the screen used McGann console with a sound chip and an RF remote inside, that I'd love to tackle an Eccleston version with all of the same internal toys next!

--Brian

Hi there Rebelscum so good to see you again, well are you know what I mean.

Aluminium parts anodised yep no of it very well, have looked at getting the parts except the grip clear anodised,
But this will push the price up somewhat, but all indications are showing that it may not be possible to do so.

The build currently stands at lots, and I sill have to install the internals and other items so I doubt that I can maintain an affordable Kit sonic.

Now what’s this talk about leaving the slider slot out, so you wont a Tennant that don’t slide, that would mean no internal mechanisms with the head in a fixed position, can be instigated would make it cheaper to manufacture, OK will look into that option.

But in the mean time have been working on the acrylic shafts for the current sliding custom version of the Tennant sonic, due to my very late night drinking Dalek Vodka with Dalek Caan and playing Dr Who pinball I have been, well not up to my use well efferescent self.

Last edited:

I wasn't suggesting parts be clear anodized, as that changes the color of the material and is more expensive. Treatment with alodine is less expensive by far and doesn't change the appearance of the material, yet stops it from corroding and eliminating the problem you mentioned earlier here:

"Aluminum certainly would be better for machining and allot cheaper than stainless steel, Aluminum will tarnish over a period of time in the hard to clean areas, that tarnish is called aluminum oxide, due to galvanic corrosion, stainless steel will look the same as it did the day it was first manufactured.

I know the prop was made out of aluminum. Only the transmitter will be manufactured out of 440 stainless, the rest will be aluminum.
The real prop was not intended to last, it to has galvanic corrosion in some parts of the transmitter housing, thats the gray and some black marks on the inside of the transmitter housing, thats the part of the transmitter that is hardest to clean, that's were you get the aluminum oxide forming the most, the other parts can be cleaned easily."

Yes, we use that in the aircraft industry, we sock the aluminium parts in the chromate solution, for about 5 to 10 min depending on how dark you wont the gold to look we only use the gold coloured alodine.

Chromate conversion (also known as “Alochrome”, “Alodine” “Aluminium Passivation” “Yellow Chromate” “Clear Chromate”) is a chemical treatment process that converts the surface of aluminium products.

The converted surface provides corrosion protection as well as enhancing the ability for subsequent processes such as painting, to bond to the surface.

Unlike Anodising, the conversion process retains the electrical conductivity of the aluminium and as such is frequently used for electrical components and equipment.

Will see if I can get the clear type.

2 hr's later

Ok have talked to our supplier about the chromate conversion as we don’t use a lot of the alodine in clear, like not at all, that been alodine 600 it works out to be 500g powder $45.00 plus shipping $40.00 depending on the number of parts it works out to be an extra $2 to $3 a sonic.

Last edited:

I don't want a closed version. I just don't want a slot. I want to make mine spring loaded to extend the neck.

I want the same thing NakedMoleRat wants - an Eccleston looking sonic without the slot that has the acrylic rod that I can spring load.

--Brian

I had a thought (they do happen now and then and mostly when I'm in the shower for some reason) on how we can get the measurements a bit more accurate. On the series disk set with Ten and Martha there is a behind the scenes studio tour by Freema Ageman and they show the recently made sonics for that series in cases. I doubt the cases were custom made so if we can find exactly what case it is we can then extrapolate the measurement details by comparing them to the case measurements. Here's a screen cap.

Thanks Asp! Now that you've mentioned it I could swear you made that point a few years back the last time a discussion like this was going on too. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back