Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Millennium Falcon Asteroid Field Diorama (3D)

Re: Cracker's 1/144 Falcon

El Visitor, thanks! :)

The model has grilles in the back.
027Set7-Odd-lookingrear.jpg

All the prop had, though, was what looks like some sort of translucent plastic strip. This old
alcohol plastic bottle might do the trick.
028Set7-Alcoholbottle.jpg

029Set7-Cutupastrip.jpg

This might help with lighting up the engine too - not yet sure if I'll do that.

030Newrear.jpg

Last edited:

That piece cut out of the bottle is a good idea, it should do the trick. As for the plastic piping, I've been cutting some off around the vents on mine. I've been using an xacto chisel blade, a small chisel set and rotary tool, followed up with some fine sandpaper.

Sweet work Crackerjazz!

Thanks, guys! :) tek2graphics, my thumb's all healed up now, thanks. I made sure I covered it so that plastic dust won't find its way into the wound. I had that happen to me once and suffered for a whole month and had to perform self-surgery to take the foreign matter out.

Removed the tabs in the back:
036-Set8-Openeduptheback.jpg

040Set8-Enginecanbreathenow.jpg

For preventing light leaks and reflecting the light:
031Set8-CoveredwithAluminumfoil.jpg

Oh my, what poor soldering skills! Still have lots of spare super-bright LEDs but I wish I hadn't cut their legs off. Hot glued them side by side. I'll probably glue together about 20 of these in an arc for the whole back. This is just a quick-and-dirty setup (to become permanent if I get lazy) - just want to test what 4 of these can do. If it doesn't work I scrap the lighting part.

033Set8-LEDsbunchedup.jpg

Borrowed my kid's toy's battery holder.
032Set8-spareLEDs.jpg

Hmmm, not bad. I noticed the lights shouldn't sit too close to the diffuser but farther inwards. Otherwise they show as individual round lights even when packed together. Here the LEDs are actually way in there - close to the turret.
035Set8-Litup2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cracker's 1/144 Finemolds Falcon

Thanks, tek2graphics! : ) found lighting quite enjoyable but I have to admit I'm not an expert - just the simple circuits for me. I don't really light up my models but I guess the Falcon is meant to be lit, especially if you want to display it in-flight. Oh, I use silver solder now - nice! - I used to use rosin-core lead which can "spit" at you, not to mention the harmful effects of lead.

Last edited:

Cool, thanks. I have a FM Falcon too.. and I agree.. it's meant to be lit! Never done it, but am really tempted to!

tek2graphics, do post pics when you get started on it. I'll probably try to make a frame for the LEDs - I'm not yet sure if they'll heat up and soften the hot glue that's holding them together, haha. The things we worry about.

034Litup.jpg

Last edited:

Filed the sides of the LED flanges flat then tried some CA to glue the LEDs together and, strangely, that doesn't work. Some strange type of plastic they're made out of that CA glue won't bond them together? I ended up cutting styrene in an arc and spread some water-weld on it like spreading peanut butter on bread then pushed the LEDs in one by one. I'll wire these up and see how they perform.

044Set10-LED.jpg

Last edited:

Wired it up and checked lighting. Sorry for the number of photos - just had to take a lot.

045Set10-Lighting1.jpg

046Set10-Lighting2.jpg

047Set10-Lighting3.jpg

048Set10-Lighting4.jpg

049Set10-Lighting5.jpg

050Set10-Lighting6.jpg

Bleed-through is evident on areas not covered with foil. Will work on those and extend another LED to the cockpit and that's it for lighting I guess. Probably won't light up the turret as it looks like unchecked bleed-through when lit.
051Set10-Lighting8.jpg

Thanks 3d-builder! :)

Finished shaving off all the molded-on piping from the maintenance pits and glued the pits on. Will work on the tiny piping next. I wonder if shaving them off was worth the trouble - they're so small the difference won't be that noticeable.

052Set11-onstand.jpg

Also cut up some spokes from an old bike wheel for the stand. Wanted a solid slab for the base but I thought a hollow one would be better to put batteries or any electricals in so I cut up some 1/4" plywood pieces and glued them together.

053Set11-Onstand2.jpg

053Set11-Onstand3.jpg

Last edited:

What the hack....you stole my idea for the stand mate ;-) guess I have to come up with a new one:-(

Excellent work CJ, two thumbs up!

Thanks, tek2graphics and sqbiedoo! Hey, sqbie, didn't know you had a similar idea for the stand, sorry. That proves we Falcon fans are connected to a collective mind and can communicate telepathically. :)

Ozzy, thanks! :)

Lately I've been dreaming about making fake space rocks. I know I bought a nichrome wire styrofoam cutter a long time ago but I couldn't find it anywhere so I have to make do with the razor blade. Hard to cut deeply with it though. And harder to make curves.

000Rock1.jpg

002Rock2.jpg

001Rock1.jpg

I read about grout being a prime candidate for surfacing fake rocks. It can crack, though, if not mixed with acrylic polymer. Acrylic polymer?? I wasn't sure if I can obtain that easily from a nearby hardware center, so maybe I'll just try the wall filler - I just hope it's not something that would melt my styrofoam asteroid.

003Rock3.jpg

Last edited:

tek2graphics, thanks! :)

Slopped on the filler.

004Filler1.jpg

And put on some pockmarks. I'll try to experiment a bit more.
005Filler2.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back