Chrome tape on ANH Obi lightsaber clamp?

Trying to see if the new Making of SW book has some cleaer(er) shots...
Pages 161, 200-202...
Seems like the shot on 202 is the best, though if the one on 161 were bigger, it'd be great!
I don't know though, maybe these appear elsewhere or there are better pics.
This is a new book and I just thumbed through it. I don't have many of the other books.

Did anyone ever get HD screencaps of Obi Wan's saber? Is the clamp taped or not? Looking at the composite shot, I can see letters, but the 'X' is missing. I can tape it off and get the letters to show through the tape, but is that what we are seeing?

Let me have a look...

Did anyone ever get HD screencaps of Obi Wan's saber? Is the clamp taped or not? Looking at the composite shot, I can see letters, but the 'X' is missing. I can tape it off and get the letters to show through the tape, but is that what we are seeing?

obis.jpg

I was also wondering if they did tape the clamp, why bother to punch out the holes opposite the transistors?

I agree.

This is probably beyond idiotic, but it looks like SOMETHING'S flaking on that clamp...silver paint?

Sorry if that's dumb...I'm not an expert on this, just thought I'd see what the big kids were up to.

They are chrome plated brass. If the chronicals pic was in color, would we see any yellow on the clamp? Who knows. Funny how you start seeing things staring at pics. If you look at the bottom row, second pic from the left, it looks like it is missing the transistor and washer entirely.

Yep, the ones where Ben is holding the saber in both hands are the stunt of course from the end of the fight.

They are chrome plated brass. If the chronicals pic was in color, would we see any yellow on the clamp? Who knows. Funny how you start seeing things staring at pics. If you look at the bottom row, second pic from the left, it looks like it is missing the transistor and washer entirely.

The Graflex clamps are plated steel.

But I still can't shake the feeling they are just scratches on there. It looks like the chrome is reflecting the white surface, but not as well in deep scratches.

Ah, I thought they were brass as well. There was one on ebay with yellow patches on it but who knows what that was.

It's there in its usual place, just above the center of the left-hand transistor.

The lines could appear to stop because of burnt out highlight areas. Or the transistors and washers may have been attached using solder. Or... or... or... ;)

It does seem to be something more than just a beat up clamp, but what exactly seems beyond our reach for the moment.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back