Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

Thanks for the advice lichtbringer. Thought it would look better in my head. My only aprehension with cutting a groove out is the threaded hole where I have the bow screwed into. Not sure how much thread is left in there. I may build out the front instead. Rather not do it that way cause Im gonna have more sanding a filling to do. At the very least i need to even it out and square it off more. Ill see if I can find a ring to use instead of the D ring I put on

Ah I see what you are saying, you ought to if you can remove a section of the body for the prod to fit a little more flush, that would be more accurate.

Ok Took lichtbringers advice and removed the filler plates I made from the front plate. I also added more filler to the front of the bowcaster in an effort to make it more even and straight. This is gonna slow progress a bit but it will look better when done. I had a mistake happen that will actually work better now. I wanted to see how deep the threaded hole was and scewed a allen bolt in it. Well once i had it tight i tried to keep tightining the bolt and the whole thing started to spin. I tried to back out the bolt and the whole peice pulled out of the front!
this will make it easier when i cut the slot for the bow.

Cut a notch in the bowcaster and now the bow sits flush. Have some cleanup work to do but I like it more now. Cut the notch with a band saw then filed it down till the bow sat flush.
I put the hollow threaded rod back and its pretty tight. I think its looking better now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    951.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 68

Hi all just got back from the shore and today was a washout. gonna get back to the build tomorrow. I'm going to get the sideplates together soon and have the imperial discs the fender knob and the large knob philmore. What other knobs are there? Are there two more? camera knobs I think I read. Any one know these knobs or hav good images of them?

Hi all
heres a mock up for my sideplates. Not all parts are accurate. Hows the positioning look?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65

So a while back i ordered some knobs apparently while sleeping? Anyway here they are! Can i use these or are they too far off the mark? Also making my own plug for the rca. Found a metal tube that I cut then used a peice of auminum rod and drilled it out enough to fit the coiled wire. The wire is a cell phone charger that i dont need. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46

Heres updated pics with different knobs and 3d printed Imperial discs for my sideplates. Also sanded and primered my resin singlepoint scope. Added some glazing putty to the bubbles and imperfections on it. The "knobs" on it have some defects that I cant fix without taking the knurled edges off. Full of bubbles and pinholes. Any way to fix this? Or should I find some knurled knobs to replace them with? Or should it be screw caps?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 47

I have a question about the single point scope. Ive seen two types the one with the knobs like my resin copy and one with the button covers. Which is the more accurate for the bowcaster? Ive seen both types used. There are air bubbles in my resin scope in the buttons. If i fill those bubbles and sand it it will sand out the knurling. May just find screwcaps to use.

Thanks Kurtyboy. I may just sand off the knurling and drill a small screw into the resin knobs. I found screwcaps or covers at home depot but not large enough to use. Also would a peice of a leather belt be too thick for the sling ring in the front? Looks like a thin peice was used to me.

No don't go drilling holes or putting screws in them! The caps screw on, they are threaded.

Ok I see now! I wasnt getting it at first. Ok so im back to my original problem. There are holes in the edges of my caps due to resin casting issues. So Any suggestions on how to fix this. If i fill them and sand it will loose the knurling. I could put a tiny drop of epoxy and let it dry just fill the hole.

At it again today. Worked on my sight for the bow caster. Made one looked to big. Started again. Used wood for the main part of the sight the cut a strip of aluminum about a 1/2 inch wide. The aluminum was from a road sign thar my father in law gave me that looked like the right thickness. I glued the two together using jb weld this also filled the gaps. Then I was experimenting making a Zorki knob. Found a knurled antenna connector knob. Then found a beveld washer. These two looked close to me. Im betting with some paint it wont look too bad.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 46

Did a little more today. Refined my self made rca plug. Also worked on my fake zorki knob. Cleaned up the resin singlepoint as well. I beleive I have the final configuration for the sideplates. Gonna paint then screw the knobs down. Are these looking close or am I way off the mark?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 60
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back