Captain America The Winter Soldier Costume Build Thread (Stealth Suit)

HenryTJO11

As some of you have probably seen. SDCC had Cap's new 'Stealth' suit on display.

Some reference pics.

Attachments

• rt92.jpg
    rt92.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 1001914_10151715153592488_309184678_n.jpg
    1001914_10151715153592488_309184678_n.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,623
  • marvel-booth-sdcc-05.jpg
    marvel-booth-sdcc-05.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,484
  • marvel-booth-sdcc-08.jpg
    marvel-booth-sdcc-08.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5,042
Last edited:
The helmet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

IMG_2299.JPG

Got some Denim fabric for the main part of the suit. There will be foam inserts for the shoulders and chest and abs too.

11.jpg

Last edited:
The shield.

I already have a R/W/B shield from when I did the Avengers Assemble style Cap suit. When I ordered the shield I wasn't sure whether to get a plastic one or metal one because I wasn't sure if metal was Con-safe or not so I went with the plastic. So the shield arrived and it was basically a piece of crap. The design on the front is the best thing about it. It was flimsy as hell and had the worst straps that wouldn't even support the shield, it just flopped around.
So I decided to reinforce it. At first I wasn't sure how because of the awkward shape of the shield. But I checked through the garage for anything and I came across some metal rings (one large and one small). I got the large ring and taped it to the back of the shield and it held together quite well, but obviously I wasn't going to use tape so I had to find a suitable glue.
The glue I found is used for holding very strong structures together so I was confident it would hold the ring to the shield and it did! After 24 hours of drying it's rock solid. So that was the flimsyness sorted.
Next I had to sort out the handles issue. I got the smaller ring and then cut out some wood to fit on the inside and put 2 holes at either end. I then screwed the wood to the inside of the ring. Next I drilled 2 holes either end for the new straps to go through. One of the straps I used an old belt with an adjustable tightener to go round my forearm and the other end I used a handle from an old laptop case.

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

Amazing work!

I have just started gathering costume parts for this as well. So far, my metal smith friend has created the shield for me. I just need to get it painted and the straps.

Shield2.jpgShield2.jpg

As I am not creative, lol, the hardest part for me is going to be the helmet. Did you have a pattern that we could download and print off for the amazing helmet you made here? Video tutorials? I would love to use this and have a friend try and create.

I am hunting the forums for patterns for all of the costume. :)

Let me know?

Attachments

• Shield1.jpg
    Shield1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Shield1.jpg
    Shield1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Another question I had...

Do you think the uniform is a two piece or a single jumpsuit?

Hard to tell with the belt in all the pics, but it kind of looks like a black flight suit (modified, of course).

Thoughts?

With the helmet, my friend made it all. I gave him my measurements and then he made a paper template around a mannequin head. He basically just copied it from the reference pics. He then put it as a 3D file and 3D printed the helmet.

With the suit we decided it's a 2 piece (jacket and trousers) with the jacket being slightly longer so it can tuck into the trousers. We also decided that the jacket is in 3 pieces. The shoulders that go round the neck and rest on the shoulders with a strap going round the bicep. The under part (darker material in the ref pics) which would be made of a more flexible and stretchy material and then the outer part (the blue part of the suit) would be a tougher material in the places that dont move (chest, back, forearms and abs) with foam inserts on the chest, abs, forearms and shoulders. He also said he would make the white/silver parts out of urethane.

The shield, mine is just a cheap plastic one I bought from a fancy dress store then modded slightly. Eventually I will get a screen accurate one when I can afford $800 haha

Last edited:
Another question I had...

Do you think the uniform is a two piece or a single jumpsuit?

Hard to tell with the belt in all the pics, but it kind of looks like a black flight suit (modified, of course).

Thoughts?
I'll be working on this once my Mark 7 armour is finished, and I would suggest a one piece-it just seems easier than jacket and pants, is all.

Would your friend be willing to share the helmet stencil and also for the jacket pieces?

- - - Updated - - -

The one piece does seem to be easier and make more sense. Would give greater range of movement without having to tuck in the shirt from time to time.

Wish there were more close up pics...

What we've been talking about is having it a 2-piece with the belt covering the gap between the jacket and trousers.

Unfortunately I'm not able to give them out but if you're interested in getting one just contact him. I put the links to his page in the first post.

Last edited:
for the curve line on the shield

Maybe try to do it with a dremel tool ? the main difficulty is to make a perfect circile i think !

Started getting some templates done for the pattern on the abs and thighs.

The material we're going for is denim. Not quite the same as denim used on jeans. It's lighterweight and quite stretchy and we're using foam inserts for strengthening.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back