Captain America TFA Build (WIP)

Re: Which one is a good base suit for the Cap

I'm not sure you could find the correct nylon. IIRC, the correct fabric was a type of horse blanket/ballistic nylon that was dyed and screened and, to my knowledge, no one here has gone after that solution. And considering the work and immense cost, I don't think it would be worth it at all.

Sgmorton definitely found the best off-the-shelf solution. It's really unfortunate that the fabric he used was pretty much the last and after inquiring about getting more the store he bought from couldn't find any info at all (essentially).

I would also agree that if you really wanted a close match that re-dyed herringbone fabrics are the way to go. I've looked at several, but haven't worked up the courage to buy fabric just to test, strip the color, and attempt to re-dye (which I doubt will turn out too successful). And, no, I haven't found any close-enough-already-blue herringbone that works except for the overseas supplier that requires you to order 1,000 yards.

Anyway, if anyone has re-dyed some herringbone fabric I'd love to see it.

The nylon fabric was not dyed it is the exact base colour, it was just silk screened with the herringbone pattern. We are in the process of looking into getting some done, but yes it will be a very expensive process.

dj thanks for the link to that site
I found this one guys what do you link
Captain America: The First Avenger Steve Rogers Cosplay Costume | CosplaySky.com
I think this is a excellent base suit as the back straps are there just need the star buckle for the back, in the special instructions I can ask them not to include the star on the back as I would just be taking it off anyway, the only down side is the arm stars look a little too big! are they easily changed? What do you guys think about this suit ??

Last edited:

Just a little word of advice Chris, as I have the cosplaysky jacket from this suit and I'm not overly fond of it. If you want something that isn't going to require a load of work to get it to your standards, I'd probably steer clear of that one. It's alright, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Chris, honestly I'd go with the one finhead recommended over this one. Or the Hello Cosplay one. The cosplay sky one is okay, but not great. Plus, it makes me nervous when these sites post pics of people that have modded the costume beyond what you get. I believe that's LoganClaw and he ended up doing several things to it after purchasing. His thread was on the LOH. Anyway, my thoughts are you'd be in better shape with the other cosplay suits over this one.

Crusader is right, LongClaw did a crap ton of mods to that costume, and still wasn't done with it by the time those pics were taken. As for mine, the red abdomen straps cannot be adjusted and are just very loose. The bicep straps that are supposed to connect the shoulder pieces cannot be adjusted, as they are single sewn-in straps. The abdomen bunches up, and it's all-around just not a great costume. I agree with crusader, I myself would go with the Hello Cosplay one, because I've seen great things come from that.

Ebay user iseight is the seller who PunisherNC used as a base.. it looked awesome once he was done with it (I forget who purchased it from him)

Unfortunently I'm not seeing that they still offer it through the store but maybe contact them?

It was CaptianSuperman that got the outfit from PunisherNC.
They don't offer it anymore I checked long ago and it's actually not as accuat as the option I said I would go with if a guy studies the suit.

Ebay user iseight is the seller who PunisherNC used as a base.. it looked awesome once he was done with it (I forget who purchased it from him)

Unfortunently I'm not seeing that they still offer it through the store but maybe contact them?

They don't offer it anymore I checked long ago and it's actually not as accuat as the option I said I would go with if a guy studies the suit.

Yeah I had replied without seeing the rest of the posts :(.

I thought it was a 1/4 posts vs 1/4 pages..

Fin, from what I can tell, hello cosplay does still offer the suit PunisherNC originally bought through their website, just not eBay anymore. And they offer two different versions, one that's just the jacket and pants and one that is the complete set with leather pieces. Chris posted a link above to the complete suit at HelloCosplay's site.

how easy is it to get hold of the belt and holster in the brown leather? for suit number 1?

M1911 holster is very easy, have seen it has low as $38. You would have to make the drop and leg strap.
The close second leather ammo pouches on e-bay. Key word search "leather ammo pouches".
Buckles for the junkyard here.
Leather belt from Target, Ross, or Amazon after you get the holster and pouches.
May have to do some leather dying.
Sorry that I don't have links for easier shopping. Won't be on my computer with all the book marks until next week.

Quick Search:http:
REPRODUCTION WWII US ARMY OFFICER M1916 .45 M1911 PISTOL LEATHER HOLSTER | eBay
Cheepest price but US shouldn't be dyed.
http://www.amazon.com/U-S-WWII-45-B...1D6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338740602&sr=8-1
I own one of these holsters.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=22
Haven't tried these.

http://www.therpf.com/f13/tfa-captain-america-buckles-132608/
Buckles.

Now you just need a belt and some bits from Tandy Leather.

Hope this helps and I'm not associated with any of the stores or individuals listed above.

Thanks Fly4v.. the holsters seem readily available its the pouches Ill struggle with I think as don't really want to pay $18 each when I need at least 4

FS: Vintage WWII Leather Ammo Pouches

How about these? Only need to buy 2.

Size looks correct.
The only detractors: color too light, D ring on top needs to be removed and brass "button" is on the bottom.

Edit: Have you asked Hellocosplay (choice #2) if they will not include the front star and mod the suspenders on the back to a V and replace the two red suspenders with a single blue/gray?

Last edited:

I haven't asked but but I could always ask option 1 to go for brown leather not black too.. I think Ill drop them both a message and see what they say

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back