Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

image.jpg
So after several fail attempts this is whwre i am now , overall am quite pleased just a little remedial work on one or two points on the groves , a little dab of accetone to remove a couple of small dots that bleed under the tape and perhaps touch up the edge of the blue with a very fine brush. No clear coat yet obviously but am at work this weekend which is a good thing as it will prevent me from getting impatient and rushing things.
So as this is a UK build i have used the VHT metalized paints , starting with the blue i laid down 3 light coats with a timed 10 mins between each, i then covered the blue and moved on the outer red ring , same process . The following evening i masked up to do the inner red ring but what i did differently was to cover the outer ring with paper so i could lift between coats to check that the paint was matching up , the reason i tried this was with my previous attempts i personally found that i was inadvertanly lifting the can to high when moving from outer to inner ring and consequently would be left with lighter patches or poor finish where the paint would dry before hitting the surface of the shield, is clearly much better this time.
So , it will be clear coated perhaps Monday evening followed by Valors star and brackets/straps later in the week , thanks for looking .

Mike

Re: Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

Hey people, apologies for the lack of responses I simply have been busy with other projects recently and forgot to update the thread. I actually completed and sold the shield a few weeks back now. Unfortunately I never took any photos of the glossy shield after the clear lacquer stages, but I can say the painting was a tad frustrating mainly due to dust particles.

For shield blanks this is the company I used http://www.northeastmetalspinners.co.uk/ they have been produced using my own specs, the company is excellent to deal with and I was very happy with the shield especially for the price. Fortunately I will be receiving a new shield shortly to begin one for my own collection.
Clark

When using the VHT paint, did you apply anything to the shield prior or just go direct on the bare metal? I'm a fellow uk guy so advice would be great!!

I painted straight to the metal, 2 light coats and then 1 heavier coat, the main concern for me was dust which hopefully I'm going to reduce by placing a clear plastic box over the shield between coats on the new shield.

Cheers
Clark

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 360470
So after several fail attempts this is whwre i am now , overall am quite pleased just a little remedial work on one or two points on the groves , a little dab of accetone to remove a couple of small dots that bleed under the tape and perhaps touch up the edge of the blue with a very fine brush. No clear coat yet obviously but am at work this weekend which is a good thing as it will prevent me from getting impatient and rushing things.
So as this is a UK build i have used the VHT metalized paints , starting with the blue i laid down 3 light coats with a timed 10 mins between each, i then covered the blue and moved on the outer red ring , same process . The following evening i masked up to do the inner red ring but what i did differently was to cover the outer ring with paper so i could lift between coats to check that the paint was matching up , the reason i tried this was with my previous attempts i personally found that i was inadvertanly lifting the can to high when moving from outer to inner ring and consequently would be left with lighter patches or poor finish where the paint would dry before hitting the surface of the shield, is clearly much better this time.
So , it will be clear coated perhaps Monday evening followed by Valors star and brackets/straps later in the week , thanks for looking .

Mike

Shield looks excellent Spartan I had some slight issues with the clear coat so hoping to see your results and method if you'd be kind enough to share.

Cheers
Clark

Last edited:

Hey people, apologies for the lack of responses I simply have been busy with other projects recently and forgot to update the thread. I actually completed and sold the shield a few weeks back now. Unfortunately I never took any photos of the glossy shield after the clear lacquer stages, but I can say the painting was a tad frustrating mainly due to dust particles.

For shield blanks this is the company I used http://www.northeastmetalspinners.co.uk/ they have been produced using my own specs, the company is excellent to deal with and I was very happy with the shield especially for the price. Fortunately I will be receiving a new shield shortly to begin one for my own collection.

I painted straight to the metal, 2 light coats and then 1 heavier coat, the main concern for me was dust which hopefully I'm going to reduce by placing a clear plastic box over the shield between coats on the new shield.

Cheers
Clark

- - - Updated - - -

Shield looks excellent Spartan I had some slight issues with the clear coat so hoping to see your results and method if you'd be kind enough to share.

Cheers
Clark
Hi Mate will do , have being quite busy at at home & work this week as going on holiday next Friday so shield has taken a back seat , plan on getting it completed by this weekend , what issues did you have with the clear coat? ive purchased the matching VHT clear coat .

For anybody about to start one of these take note of Clarks comment about covering between coats , one of my failed attempts was due to a small piece of old dusty spider web coming down from the garage roof and settling on the shield.

I would also recomend getting hold of some of the Frog tape for recently painted surfaces! i had to re-do the inner ring during one of my attempts as the tape used to mask of the blue circle left some reidue which as you know means starting over as it will not come off cleanly as it perhaps would on normal paint.

Cheers
Clark

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers
Clark

I've been looking everywhere for VHT paint coverages and cannot find anything. Do you have a rough idea of how much of each colour I need? Thanks man, your input is really appreciated!
Tom

I've been looking everywhere for VHT paint coverages and cannot find anything. Do you have a rough idea of how much of each colour I need? Thanks man, your input is really appreciated!
Tom

I laid down 2 light coats and then a 3rd heavier coat for the blue and then 3 light coats and a 4th heavier one for the red. I left 10minutes between each coat. My only other advice is use some quality tape to mask up I did have some issues the first time round with the paint getting caught under certain areas and lifting bits.

Hope this helps.

Clark

I laid down 2 light coats and then a 3rd heavier coat for the blue and then 3 light coats and a 4th heavier one for the red. I left 10minutes between each coat. My only other advice is use some quality tape to mask up I did have some issues the first time round with the paint getting caught under certain areas and lifting bits.

Hope this helps.

Clark

Thanks Clark! How many cans of each do you think it takes?
Tom

I bought 1 can of blue and 2 of Red the reason being you can probably do the shield twice if you have to strip it down after a bad spray mate.

Clark HD

Have just laid down 3 light clear coats and as expected it has dulled the finish a little and if you run the back of your finger over it it has very noticeably roughed up the finish ,will be going shopping shortly for the wet -dry sand paper and turtle wax/polish ,have to let it stand for 7 hours now but hope to have something worth photographing by tomorrow .

for those of us here in the Uk who maybe about to start on one of these a couple of tips to help

get your self some pure Acetone ( eBay ) don't waste time & effort using the wife's nail polish remover it has a high percentage of acetone but does no where near the same job.

The 3M outdoor tape for attaching the brackets is incredibly hard to find in the Uk , but go go home base , No nails sell the same thing , it's a narrower strip but is rated to hold higher weights , have used this on mine & it seems fine .

The ' data plaque ' you may have seen on the back of some shields ? It's a sort of rubberised plastic ? The Jb weld doesn't hold it to the aluminium , not really an issue as am sure normal super glue or similar will hold it .

hope some of you find this helpful .

Mike

Have you found any issues using the VHT paint? I've read through the 40 page thread on painting cap shields and both paints that were mentioned duplicator and testors had pros and cons to them, or would you say that the VHT seems to go down fairly evenly on the metal?

Have you found any issues using the VHT paint? I've read through the 40 page thread on painting cap shields and both paints that were mentioned duplicator and testors had pros and cons to them, or would you say that the VHT seems to go down fairly evenly on the metal?

No it goes down really well, has a nice spray the tough part like I say is keeping any dust from settling between coats mate.

View attachment 365368View attachment 365369View attachment 365370View attachment 365371

Finally finished ,a little disappointed if im honest as the clear coat/sanding really didn't work our as hoped and. if not for going on holiday Friday I would seriously think about starting over

The vht paint alone leaves a brilliant finish as you can see in my photo from last week,there was no clear coat on that just a rub over with the tack cloth , this step is absolutely essential with this paint the finish it leaves is smooth and polished ! If anybody is starting there shield soon using vht paint I would consider trying it on a piece of scrap metal then wax/polish without a clear coat , this is what I will do if doing this all again.

On the plus side the brackets/handles & star supplied by Valor are top bits of kit and really enhance the prop,as I mentioned previously I used a No Nails version of the 3M tape to attach the brackets and they are very sturdy given the weight of the shield , my star is fixed using the glue you can see in the pic , this is really useful as it will fix to paint, mine is attached quite loosely allowing me to remove it should I start

View attachment 365368View attachment 365369View attachment 365370View attachment 365371

Finally finished ,a little disappointed if im honest as the clear coat/sanding really didn't work our as hoped and. if not for going on holiday Friday I would seriously think about starting over

The vht paint alone leaves a brilliant finish as you can see in my photo from last week,there was no clear coat on that just a rub over with the tack cloth , this step is absolutely essential with this paint the finish it leaves is smooth and polished ! If anybody is starting there shield soon using vht paint I would consider trying it on a piece of scrap metal then wax/polish without a clear coat , this is what I will do if doing this all again.

On the plus side the brackets/handles & star supplied by Valor are top bits of kit and really enhance the prop,as I mentioned previously I used a No Nails version of the 3M tape to attach the brackets and they are very sturdy given the weight of the shield , my star is fixed using the glue you can see in the pic , this is really useful as it will fix to paint, mine is attached quite loosely allowing me to remove it should I start

I can't see the picture dude :(

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok so hopefully you can see the photos ,
In addition to my previous post i would like to add that if you are about to start on one of these shields - dont be afraid of making mistakes , the biggest problem is getting this prop to a standard we are happy with & trust me its not easy :) but at least you can start over if need be , as i said im not happy with aspects of mine (groves & blue circle )and will quite lilely start again after my holiday .

Read through the threads and cherry pick the best ideas/methods /materials that will work for you , it cost nothing to learn from other peoples experience .
good luck & happy painting .

Mike

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back