Captain America shield finish- SUCCESS!!

Well, third time's the charm, indeed. The blue came out perfect on my second attempt, but the red was ghastly. Hazy and the grooves were gone to hell. So I carefully masked off the blue circle and aluminum ring, stripped the red with acetone, and did it again. This time it came out near perfect. Which is, after three shots, perfect enough for me. Tomorrow ill take some acetone and very carefully clean the few smudges off the aluminum ring.*

Once I get Valor's star in the mail, I can throw it on there and coat it with a nice strong clear coat I found online called Spray Max 2K. It has a hardener that gets mixed into the aerosol rattle can to give it a nearly there auto clear. So here are some pics!

3f54b801.jpg

78708944.jpg

a09e46f7.jpg

Cheers!

Awesome again!

I definitly prefer the Testors clear reds and blues over the dupicolor. Much more even and easier to paint with. I also believe the blue and reds match the film shield better.

Great work man, looks fantastic, when you get valors star send some finished pics. And as to the testors paints, where can I find them? I've looked in the auto stores and a couple other places but can't find them.

Thanks guys! Actually I used the Duplicolor red and blue metalcasts. Just took a few tries to get it there. Once my star and my mounting hardware come in, I'll be flooding this thread with updated images!

after several tests, one heavy wet coat at close range worked best for me, the finish is super smooth with a real anodize look, the multiple thin coats will create a hazy finish, the trick is one heavy coat, try to cover surface as much as possible with one coat, it's hard because there's a sweat spot, way too much and paint will run, not enough will creat a dusty finish.

You can check my shield here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-captain-america-shield-build-finished-176190/

Gerardo

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back