Captain America (Here we go again!) - Age of Ultron WIP (Pic Heavy)

This may sound stupid but im very new at sewing but for this did you sew the various parts onto the white "sloper" that you mapped out your designs on or are they just all pieced toegther for the final product?

This may sound stupid but im very new at sewing but for this did you sew the various parts onto the white "sloper" that you mapped out your designs on or are they just all pieced toegther for the final product?

The sloper is the basic fitted tunic pattern. Then the lines for the pieces are drawn onto that and it gets cut apart to make the patterns for the final piece. I usually sew all the pieces (or the larger components that make up the majority of the fit and shape) for the mock up that goes to the client for a fitting, just to make sure it all fits back together properly.

So, it's a 3-step process:
1 - basic sloper and draw on the style lines
2 - cut the sloper apart to make the pattern and build the mock up
3 - build the final from the same pattern (after making any alterations needed)

Seriously can't get enough of your insights and tutorials. Keep it up, because this is inspiring countless RPFers. Definitely will subscribe to all your threads. This is great thanks again.

Seriously can't get enough of your insights and tutorials. Keep it up, because this is inspiring countless RPFers. Definitely will subscribe to all your threads. This is great thanks again.

Thanks! I'm glad it's helpful. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm just rambling. Haha.

Thanks! I'm glad it's helpful. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm just rambling. Haha.

Don't ever feel that way, EVER, Sean. You are a professional that cares about what he does and for his customers and wants to share that joy and passion with others. You inspire people and your detail assists them in creating their own dreams. Never let someone diminish that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished mine, and wore it for the opening-thanks for the inspiration! 11174778_10153870275235616_5596690632632903069_n.jpg

OMG, we're in the home stretch!

The next piece to build was the harness. I began by updating the harness pattern I used for a previous Captain America project to fit this version and the hardware I sourced from Bronze Armory.

harness-1.jpg

The base of the harness is cut from the same faux leather as the gauntlets and lined with headliner foam to give it added depth. The area that will go through the harness is left unpadded to reduce bulk.

harness-2.jpg

For the darker parts of the accessories, I took the same faux leather, laid a piece of door screen over it and lightly sprayed over it with black NuLife to darken the color and all a 'texture' pattern. These pieces were finished along the edges and stitched down to the base. The sliders were added at this point as well as the tops of the clips that will release the front sides of the harness.

harness-3.jpg
harness-4.jpg

The lower straps were not padded, but were lined with the same faux leather. So, they have some extra thickness, but are not as bulky as the upper straps. The darker areas were added to these pieces as well as the lower parts of the clips and all the pieces attached to the back buckle. Here's a picture of the harness flat as well as on the costume.

harness-5.jpg
harness-6.jpg
harness-7.jpg

Next, I moved on to the gaiters. Once again, the first step was the pattern. I used a stock pattern I had and created the patterns for the details based on that. The gaiters are lined with a thinner and more flexible headliner foam than the other pieces.

gaiters-1.jpg
gaiters-2.jpg

The center fronts were stitched together, then the upper and lower edges finished with bias tape. Next I began adding the details with the red panels at the top. These were made by cutting a piece of the faux leather, stitching red Cordura inside and then stitching the whole thing to the main piece.

gaiters-3.jpg

Next, I added the red 'stirrups'. For these, I used the same red faux that I used on the chest and backs of the shoulders. I cut the pieced, used Super 77 to finish the edges and tack the pieces in place and then stitched around them.

gaiters-4.jpg

With those added, I then added some detail stitching and cut and added the center front panel and small silver accent. The last things to do on these pieces was to add binding and velcro to the backs and elastic to the stirrups. By the way, those are not the shoes being worn with the costume, just a pair that I had to hand for the pictures.

gaiters-6.jpg
gaiters-7.jpg

The last of the accessories to tackle was the belt and pouches. Like the gauntlets, I decided to adapt the template from The Foam Cave for these pieces.

belt-1.jpg

The belt itself was made using the same process as the harness. The buckle and front greeblies (not pictured here) were all from Bronze Armory. Since the buckle is not functional, the belt is solid in the front and I decided to utilize nickel snaps in the back to fasten the belt and also allow for some adjustability.

belt-2.jpg
belt-3.jpg
belt-4.jpg

The pouches proved to be a challenge. Most of them are quite small and getting a good, solid and smooth shape with them is not easy by sewing.

After some messing around with the best way to approach them and a couple of write-off test runs, I finally decided to not overthink them and do them as a foam and faux leather hybrid using the templates. I created the main parts of the pouch with the faux leather and 'texture' painted faux and lining with the same material (adding in the male side of the magnetic clasp at this point. These pieces are all stitched down and finished.

pouch-1.jpg
pouch-2.jpg

I then cut the sides from 6mm craft foam, faced the foam with the faux leather and glued them into the main piece. Note the area in the picture above where the fabric side of the faux leather is exposed (the lining is trimmed away). This is where the foam is glued down. Hot glue will form a nearly permanent bond to the fabric side of the faux, but will not adhere well at all to the finished side.

Here's what the almost-passable test looks like. I need to clean it up a bit, but I think this method will work.

pouch-3.jpg
pouch-4.jpg

So, except for the final pouches and a few small finishing details, here's the costume all together.

final-1.jpg
final-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would find it impossible not to strut in that uniform, because I would KNOW that I looked awesome. Wonderful work and craftsmanship. I know cosplay isn't (or at least in my opinion, shouldn't be) about having a better costume than everyone else, nor about making other people jealous, but... I think those may just be factual byproducts of this piece. Just awesome.

I'm going to have to look into finding that headliner foam. It looks like the perfect light but sturdy material to add some three-dimensionality to costumes.

It's sickening how beautiful this costume turned out -- seriously, like everyone is saying, this is an incredible piece of work!! I've so enjoyed watching it take shape.

You are an inspiration, sir!

I would find it impossible not to strut in that uniform, because I would KNOW that I looked awesome. Wonderful work and craftsmanship. I know cosplay isn't (or at least in my opinion, shouldn't be) about having a better costume than everyone else, nor about making other people jealous, but... I think those may just be factual byproducts of this piece. Just awesome.

I'm going to have to look into finding that headliner foam. It looks like the perfect light but sturdy material to add some three-dimensionality to costumes.

Thanks! Yeah, I go through a ton of headliner foam. It's really easy to use and very versatile. I get it from Hancock Fabrics or there's loads of places to buy it online.

- - - Updated - - -

Unbelievable! This is incredible! I wish I had the skill to do this! If you ever decide to sell it ever or make more keep me somewhere on the list!! :D

Stunning... Absolutely stunning!

It's sickening how beautiful this costume turned out -- seriously, like everyone is saying, this is an incredible piece of work!! I've so enjoyed watching it take shape.

You are an inspiration, sir!

Thanks guys! Cheers! :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back