Capt America Shield + Display Table - star groves cut! new Accessory started!

EyeofSauron

Master Member
so, i still need a coffee table for my cinema room/work space, and as i dont have time for my hic project, i thought about this here:
a capt. america shield in a table under glass (which can eventually be exchanged by another prop)

so far, i only made a sketch, and whipped up a quick paint job in Photoshop

i think about using dark wood (its black in the sketch but i want wood), something like cherry, but not that expensive, so if anyone has a good idea on dark "cheap" wood, id greatly appreciate it

also, im thinking about building in leds on each side to light it up. problem is, that the table is somehow in the middle of the room and there is no power source there, so i would have an ugly cable lying around.
if anyone has a tip on that, just tell me :)

this will be a side project to my war machine, so i dont get crazy :D

heres a pic of the unpainted finished master, so you dont need to look through the whole thread :)
shield2.jpg

cheers EoS

Last edited:
Re: Capt America Shield Table (eventually pic heavy)

oh sweet, that's a great idea. If you go with LEDs, you could use some battery powered ones that last a long time. If you need any help with CAD work, let me know, but it looks like you have it covered.

oh sweet, that's a great idea. If you go with LEDs, you could use some battery powered ones that last a long time. If you need any help with CAD work, let me know, but it looks like you have it covered.
thanks for the offer, i should be able to do it tho as an structural engineer ;)

just need to get a raw shield somewhere, as i want a metal one on display, i can do the rest of the work, but i cant form metal :/

thanks for the offer, i should be able to do it tho as an structural engineer ;)

just need to get a raw shield somewhere, as i want a metal one on display, i can do the rest of the work, but i cant form metal :/

Nice, i am a Mechanical engineer! nice to see other engineers on, there seem to be many. :)

hehe im actually going to be a lawyer, i finished engineering school and switched to law afterwards :D but still, the abilities should be there :)

hey, I do product design engineering, high five for the engineering based peeps. I was thinking of a project along the lines of this. looking forward to seeing how this comes along. Im strapped for cash atm and working on a sub-zero costume for halloween, so If I do a coffee table it will probably only house a poster than a prop.

hey, I do product design engineering, high five for the engineering based peeps. I was thinking of a project along the lines of this. looking forward to seeing how this comes along. Im strapped for cash atm and working on a sub-zero costume for halloween, so If I do a coffee table it will probably only house a poster than a prop.
well material wise you will need allmost the same material for a poster housing table, as for mine :)

probably more as mine is square and a poster table would be rectangular.
only the depth of the plate may be different :)

so if you have a prop you can fit in, its basicly the same principle :)
problem is i cant start building until i get a raw shield, and im still looking around as money is allways tight :)

anyone out there in europe who can get me a cheap metal raw shield? :)

anyone out there in europe who can get me a cheap metal raw shield? :)
I'm in America, so I don't really know what materials you have available, but there are a few tutorials online about how to make your own Captain America shield out of an old satellite dish. Don't know if that helps you any.
I really like the table idea and I'm interested to see how it turns out. I also think it would be cool if you were able to put a frost effect around the edges of the table to make the shield look like it's under ice.

I'm in America, so I don't really know what materials you have available, but there are a few tutorials online about how to make your own Captain America shield out of an old satellite dish. Don't know if that helps you any.
I really like the table idea and I'm interested to see how it turns out. I also think it would be cool if you were able to put a frost effect around the edges of the table to make the shield look like it's under ice.
i looked at the steel saucer version and sadly this is nowhere to be found in europe
all we have is plastic ones and they are not really good at all.

Well, this may or may not help, but the largest shields I have seen have been 30" diameter by 4" deep. So if you built one to fit that, it will fit any smaller shield. The shields I make are 25-26" diameter, some are 24" and most are around that diameter, and under 4" deep. What wood do you plan on using for the table btw? I saw your thinking about cherry. Over here we get dark walnut pretty cheap. Stuff looks beautiful when polished up. I use it for a lot of sword handle parts.

not sure yet as i can only look it up at my local store on monday (as its closed on weekends xD)

also i got a good idea from chicoperdido815 with the ice. if i cast the shield inside a block of "Ice", a cheaper version of the shield wouldnt stand out as its eventually blurry and stuff. this also gives the great opportunity for the lights, as it lights up the whole block which will definitely look awesome

well, now i have to figure out to cast something that will look like ice
off to the googlemobile, batman!

Yeah, chicoperdido815 idea of the ice would look really cool. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I may do one of these myself as a display for one of my shields at home.

Yeah, chicoperdido815 idea of the ice would look really cool. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I may do one of these myself as a display for one of my shields at home.
i actually found something reasonable to use

with smoothon clear cast, you can cast a random form wherein the shield is entrapped, and like in the video you can maybe cut off a piece of the ice so the shield comes out of it a little, and fill the rest with those ice cubes he made

only thing i dont like is, that it is too clear, i would prefer a little more milky look

here is the video:
How to Make Fake Ice with Encapso K - YouTube

i had another idea to break the light inside the resin a little altho i dont know if it would work:

crushing some clear plastic beads (the ones for plastic jewelry) into smaller and bigger pieces ( from dust to shards), and mix those into the casting resin. this should make a more icy look i think, as it makes the cast imperfect

with this, i might not need any milkiness :)

Well, I know I've shipped a similar size shield over to europe for around $100, but it was lighter in weight.

Looking forward to what you come up with. Have you thought about using frosted glass on top?

It's basically a display case with legs. Why defeat the purpose and make it so that you can't see into it by using frosted glass? Or are you thinking of a frosted etching around the edges to frame it?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back