Interest Cap shield replica

And the 9" star is scaled for a 24" diameter shield.

I disagree there. 24’’ is ONE of the sizes they used- mainly for the molded shield. Some were 26’ etc

I think the 9’’ star is for a 25’ shield- exactly like this one pictured which is the actual TFA prop.
I have it in my head that the star on this version is 9 or 9.25’’. But I don’t remember where I got that from anymore.

I think relic maker doing a 25’ is a great compromise and separates this shield from every other 24’ version out there.
IMG_9342.jpg

Screenshots from one of the videos on youtube.
I have a Chris Fields shield that's a little over 25" and always felt it was a tad big. Based on how this looks in the videos, the 24" size is my vote.
Also note the seamless thickness of the edge. This is another critical detail that I'd like to see hammered out.
Regarding the backside, the grooves are also specific; the 2nd circle from the center has a wider gap. Also note the rivet indentations running along the brackets. View attachment 1033703View attachment 1033704

Yes to that. Basically the goal should be to get something as close to the Masterworks shield but entirely machined.
Size, paintjob and all minus the scratches.

I think we might have to put the diameter size to a vote, if that's an avenue Relicmaker wants to go down.
I know that whichever decisions are made, we will be looking forward to the best cap shield replica ever made and considering all the years we've waited for one, this is kind of a big deal for everyone involved.

Getting it "right" includes many factors, which I am happy to see have been addressed, such as dimensions, thickness, details and paint. We're on the correct path because details are being scrutinized and questions asked. To me, a scenario such as this is the lifeblood of this community. Passion and motivation has created collaboration and a desire to succeed.

I'll disagree with you on this one. If it's not much more trouble to include that subtle design I think it should be included. The goal is to recreate it as exact as possible.

Fair enough, definitely won't complain if it's -more- accurate instead of less haha

Just reminds me of how some prefer the idealized consistent thickness rings on the Luke ROTJ Lightsaber over the technically screen accurate but irregular grooves on the real hero prop

I disagree there. 24’’ is ONE of the sizes they used- mainly for the molded shield. Some were 26’ etc

I think the 9’’ star is for a 25’ shield- exactly like this one pictured which is the actual TFA prop.
I have it in my head that the star on this version is 9 or 9.25’’. But I don’t remember where I got that from anymore.

I think relic maker doing a 25’ is a great compromise and separates this shield from every other 24’ version out there.
View attachment 1033777
I think we might have to put the diameter size to a vote, if that's an avenue Relicmaker wants to go down.
I know that whichever decisions are made, we will be looking forward to the best cap shield replica ever made and considering all the years we've waited for one, this is kind of a big deal for everyone involved.

Getting it "right" includes many factors, which I am happy to see have been addressed, such as dimensions, thickness, details and paint. We're on the correct path because details are being scrutinized and questions asked. To me, a scenario such as this is the lifeblood of this community. Passion and motivation has created collaboration and a desire to succeed.

We'll have to see when the votes are cast but I don't think we should go for 25" just so we can make it unique among what's out there. There's a reason why 24" is common, which is that it is the size that -most represents- the prop used in the films based on the sources and official replicas we've been able to gather. To clarify: when I say "most represents" that means the most used, and most recent size by the prop master himself who made them for the films.

We'll have to see when the votes are cast but I don't think we should go for 25" just so we can make it unique among what's out there. There's a reason why 24" is common, which is that it is the size that -most represents- the prop used in the films based on the sources and official replicas we've been able to gather. To clarify: when I say "most represents" that means the most used, and most recent size by the prop master himself who made them for the films.

24” is only common because MOST of the shields are based of the stunt shield. Which is smaller and lighter.

Again. Each film has MULTIPLE sized shields.
26” when on his back.
25” in some shots
And 24” when thrown

To say that 24” most represents the shield isn’t correct.
That is only because they base it off the stunt AND I believe that a 24” should is easier to spin because standard spinning equipment can be used. Or it’s easier to cast. Ask the makers- they readily say this.

24” is only common because MOST of the shields are based of the stunt shield. Which is smaller and lighter.

Again. Each film has MULTIPLE sized shields.
26” when on his back.
25” in some shots
And 24” when thrown

To say that 24” most represents the shield isn’t correct.
That is only because they base it off the stunt AND I believe that a 24” should is easier to spin because standard spinning equipment can be used. Or it’s easier to cast. Ask the makers- they readily say this.

Not sure how we'd get measurements of the thrown shield since most if not all the shots of the shield being thrown are CG?

It's fine taking a vote on the size. 24" seems to be the standard size throughout the series, but since they were all seen on screen, it shouldn't really matter.

I have the auction catalog from when "Profiles in History" auctioned everything off from the 'First Avenger' film, and the Shield in the auction states 25"!
So, since we're going for the First Avenger shield, we may want to keep it at 25"...

I really like my 25"! It's BIG! It's BEEFIER! Having another shield sitting next to it that is "smaller" will seem a little inferior to it... :lol:
So, having another shield in your collection that is an inch wider, will stand out from the rest.

Also, this is only going to be for display purposes, and the bigger, the better for displays! This shield is heavy and will not be the best thing to carry around for Cosplay at Comicon. You'll wish you kept it at home! Especially, if you have an accident with it while out!

Plus, I'm from Texas, and everything here in Texas is bigger! So, I vote to keep it 25"! :cool:(y)

The problem with the listed measurements from the Disney store or the auction is that they don't state whether they were measured across the back or along the arc on the front of the shield. I was messing around with this in CAD today and here is what I am seeing. I tried to line up the star as best that I could. There is apparently some distortion in this image of the original TFA prop. If anyone has a better picture let me know.

For reference of arc length (front of the shield) vs chord length (back of the shield). This could be causing a discrepancy in size depending on where the measurement was taken.

Last edited:
I’d be interested depending on when you think you’d be looking to get the deposit and how much that will be (as well as the overall cost of the shield kit). I know you stated $2000 as a potential cost, but that seems to be a guesstimate for now.

It's fine taking a vote on the size. 24" seems to be the standard size throughout the series, but since they were all seen on screen, it shouldn't really matter.

I have the auction catalog from when "Profiles in History" auctioned everything off from the 'First Avenger' film, and the Shield in the auction states 25"!
So, since we're going for the First Avenger shield, we may want to keep it at 25"...

I really like my 25"! It's BIG! It's BEEFIER! Having another shield sitting next to it that is "smaller" will seem a little inferior to it... :lol:
So, having another shield in your collection that is an inch wider, will stand out from the rest.

Also, this is only going to be for display purposes, and the bigger, the better for displays! This shield is heavy and will not be the best thing to carry around for Cosplay at Comicon. You'll wish you kept it at home! Especially, if you have an accident with it while out!

Plus, I'm from Texas, and everything here in Texas is bigger! So, I vote to keep it 25"! :cool:(y)

I agree.
You also need to remember that if you were caps actual size, and in costume 24’ would look too small. As I’ve seen many times in Cosplay pics

the Pawn When you get reference measurements of the Masterworks shield if you could get some pics of it being held in-hand that would be good to add to our knowledge base here!

Edit: Just to add, based on this dude's other youtube videos he doesn't look like a short dude, and the shield looks like a good size in proportion to his torso/height:

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-06-30 010442.png
    Annotation 2019-06-30 010442.png
    950.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back