Can't find Tony Stark's sunglasses from Iron Man 3

Success! Aviatrix arrived and at $28 I am pretty darn happy. I really like the proportions. I think I will end up with these as a gradient with the top starting the color they are now.
20210604_160342.jpg

Why I decided to put 1:43 scale cars in with my sunglasses is anyone's guess!! :oops:

I suppose they just remind me of the scenes the eyewear is from and helps connect to the character a little bit more...even though I don't have these cars for real (sigh), it puts a little smile on my face when I open the box up to wear the frames!! :cool:

Finished my Silhouette SPX Match 1566 box (the foam packing still needs doing properly!!)...
View attachment 1464717 View attachment 1464718 View attachment 1464719 View attachment 1464720 View attachment 1464722 View attachment 1464723 View attachment 1464724 View attachment 1464725 View attachment 1464726 View attachment 1464727 View attachment 1464728 View attachment 1464729Who made those glasses for you? I know you create your own lenses but assume you didn’t do that yourself!! Haha

I did make the SPX Match lenses myself (like my TNG) after learning how to assemble/disassemble Silhouette rimless frames.

I tried to find a middle ground between Jason's off-screen more rounded "cat eye" shape version and the actual onscreen HUD display which is overlaid on top of the lenses, this IMO, makes the upper and lower line edges look a lot straighter.

A while back I found a picture of a random (non SPX) Silhouette lens shape, which I thought looked quite close and decided I wanted a kind of custom hybrid version of all of the lens shapes discussed.
20210605_205133.png

My lenses are thicker (non-prescription sunglass donor lenses) which due to how the Silhouette bushes are fitted, give the frame lots of rigidity over thinner lenses (my thinner lens TNG seem a lot more fragile to handle).

The lenses also do not have any base curve and can lie flat (face down) on any surface. (The "Silhouette" clear left lens sticker is just an OE non sticky removable decal).
The lens color is just my own interpretation/preference as a compromise between off-screen purple/grey and on-screen HUD. ;)

Last edited:
I did make the SPX Match lenses myself (like my TNG) after learning how to assemble/disassemble Silhouette rimless frames.

I tried to find a middle ground between Jason's off-screen more rounded "cat eye" shape version and the actual onscreen HUD display which is overlaid on top of the lenses, this IMO, makes the upper and lower line edges look a lot straighter.

A while back I found a picture of a random (non SPX) Silhouette lens shape, which I thought looked quite close and decided I wanted a kind of custom hybrid version of all of the lens shapes discussed.
View attachment 1464840

My lenses are thicker (non-prescription sunglass donor lenses) which due to how the Silhouette bushes are fitted, give the frame lots of rigidity over thinner lenses (my thinner lens TNG seem a lot more fragile to handle).

The lenses also do not have any base curve and can lie flat (face down) on any surface. (The "Silhouette" clear left lens sticker is just an OE non sticky removable decal).
The lens color is just my own interpretation/preference as a a compromise between off-screen purple/grey and on-screen HUD. ;)

View attachment 1464840

The lens color is just my own interpretation/preference as a a compromise between off-screen purple/grey and on-screen HUD. ;)
Well I got all my lenses off luxuryeyesite, they did the matsudas with custom lenses that they sold, as well as doing the rdj lenses for glasses they didn’t sell ...and they were all good!! But I messaged them last week and they’ve stopped making lenses for glasses they don’t stock themselves!! And honestly I was thinking that dude, you make glasses lenses as good as them, why don’t you create them for us and charge per pair?? I’d happily pay $200 for your custom Paul smith Walton peach/yellow lenses as I would for theirs! Honestly rather throw money at you than ask a optometrist to recreate them them with bad results, caus I know you have a bit of an ocd like me about them being right! Haha

Honestly dude I think they look a bit small!! Don’t wana ruin the mood, because they’re nice glasses!
True, they are smaller lenses for sunglasses, but I think they are still bigger than all but perhaps one pair of regular Rx glasses I've owned. We're just in an oversize sunglass era rather than a tiny sunglasses style period. When I get to a computer I'll turn on the wayback machine... I have some younger RDJ frame pictures and man, the 80's looks can be pretty cringeworthy. And I say this as someone who lived through them.

True, they are smaller lenses for sunglasses, but I think they are still bigger than all but perhaps one pair of regular Rx glasses I've owned. We're just in an oversize sunglass era rather than a tiny sunglasses style period. When I get to a computer I'll turn on the wayback machine... I have some younger RDJ frame pictures and man, the 80's looks can be pretty cringeworthy. And I say this as someone who lived through them.
Haha true, and maybe it’s the angle anyway caus you’ve taken the pic from the side and not profile! Lovely glasses and you got yourself a bargain there

View attachment 1464840

The lens color is just my own interpretation/preference as a compromise between off-screen purple/grey and on-screen HUD. ;)
I had my Silhouette tng done by my usual optometrist.
When he sent me the price it was 20% more than the usual for lenses customised to full frames. He explained that for rimless glasses the lens is quite significantly thicker to compensate for the lack of a frame which certainly fits with your Silhouette tng feeling a bit fragile.

I had my Silhouette tng done by my usual optometrist.
When he sent me the price it was 20% more than the usual for lenses customised to full frames. He explained that for rimless glasses the lens is quite significantly thicker to compensate for the lack of a frame which certainly fits with your Silhouette tng feeling a bit fragile.
Yeah that's definitely it, my TNG lenses are just "the average" sunglass lens thickness (I may need to source slightly thicker blue donor lenses).
There isn't really any major issue with my TNG pair, but they could benefit from a tiny bit more rigidity.
The trade off in such lightweight rimless frames is that you barely know you are wearing them.
I suppose all rimless frames are the same to some extent in terms of lacking a true solid feel. Even the Allure 8141's command a degree of respect and feel like they need to be treated with extra great care and attention.

BTW, forgot to post these pics a while back, which will probably reopen the whole SPX lens shape discussion...
20210122_235526.png 20210220_095707.png 20210110_003720.png 20210220_100112.png

There looks like there is something going on there in pic 3 & 4, maybe a small black rim of some sort with grey lenses and what seems to resemble clip-ons (or some moviemaking gizmo that produces the HUD effect) over the top??.:unsure:..I discussed this with gotmeth366 a while back, but what do you guys think??

A bit of on-set tagging - "RDJ woz here"... :lol:
20210220_001022.png

Yeah that's definitely it, my TNG lenses are just "the average" sunglass lens thickness (I may need to source slightly thicker blue donor lenses).
There isn't really any major issue with my TNG pair, but they could benefit from a tiny bit more rigidity.
The trade off in such lightweight rimless frames is that you barely know you are wearing them.
I suppose all rimless frames are the same to some extent in terms of lacking a true solid feel. Even the Allure 8141's command a degree of respect and feel like they need to be treated with extra great care and attention.

BTW, forgot to post these pics a while back, which will probably reopen the whole SPX lens shape discussion...
View attachment 1464977 View attachment 1464978 View attachment 1464979 View attachment 1464980

There looks like there is something going on there in pic 3 & 4, maybe a small black rim of some sort with grey lenses and what seems to resemble clip-ons (or some moviemaking gizmo that produces the HUD effect) over the top??.:unsure:..I discussed this with gotmeth366 a while back, but what do you guys think??

View attachment 1464981
Marker/greenscreen material for the HUD CGI is my guess.

View attachment 1464977 View attachment 1464978 View attachment 1464979 View attachment 1464980

View attachment 1464981
Absolutely, my Silhouette tng do feel like they need handling with soft hands, particularly when taking out of, or putting back into the case. I have some Oliver Peoples finne with the brown lens, absolutely beautiful frames - they're the same.

Like everyone here when I joined this group I read through from post 1. I think I can say with confidence that the SPX lenses are the biggest mystery so far!

I never sourced any and when I looked recently I couldn't see any availability for the chassis which was disappointing.

If the correct shape and tint was available, and as a martial artist I would love to pair them with a traditional Chinese jacket :)

Those images do look odd, I'm not sure what to make of them

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back