Can't find Tony Stark's sunglasses from Iron Man 3

Totally forgot that I made my own cheap clear NDG-1's with custom lenses...!!
20190902_175525.jpg

20190902_181119.jpg

I think they look good for cheap ones and really similar to the originals, I have NDG-1's myself but I'm not sure of the fit, I find them tight even tough they tend to slip off my nose...
When I say cheap, I mean $5 cheap!! But, I suppose the "look" is there.
They are 50mm like the real OP's, which IMO is right on the limit for wearable "smallness".

Despite what I said, I successfully found, and just pulled the trigger on a clear grey pair of NDG-1 that I managed to find on a french, second-hand store (in presumably new condition). My guess is that it's a discontinued color.
NDG-1.jpeg

They seem a bit hard to find, so I just went for it...

Gio, I searched for them, but couldn't find any match.. I guess the only way left is to scroll through thousands of pictures on Google Image

Last edited:
Sorry to drag the eyewear back to the very start, but I wondered if the movie lenses in the RB 3320's are the stock lenses from the 042/8z, or possibly custom.

It'll probably just be the lighting, but IMO, the movie versions look a bit darker brown than below.....
View attachment 1054711
My first ever frames were the RB 3320 041/13, but these were in gunmetal with gradient brown lenses and not "solid brown" with shiny satin silver frames as per the 042/8z in IM1.

I ended up with 3 pairs, but I put the brown gradient lenses into the 042/8g shiny satin silver frame (that originally had grey lenses) to get a bit closer to screen accurate...
View attachment 1054712
View attachment 1054713
It's becoming increasingly difficult to find the 042/8z in new condition without any scratches on the lenses etc. due to their age.

There are many ebay sellers (Fuse lenses etc.) that sell non-genuine, "solid" brown lenses and wondered if anyone here had bought some, or actually have the 042/8z and think that with indoor (Humvee) lighting, they agree they are the correct lenses.

I don't have a Funvee to test the lighting, but have always known the gradients are incorrect.

I do want to get these right, because of the significance of them being the first IM frames to be on screen.
Just picked these up in the gunmetal/ brown gradient for a great price today. Close enough for me lol

Sorry to drag the eyewear back to the very start, but I wondered if the movie lenses in the RB 3320's are the stock lenses from the 042/8z, or possibly custom.

It'll probably just be the lighting, but IMO, the movie versions look a bit darker brown than below.....
View attachment 1054711
My first ever frames were the RB 3320 041/13, but these were in gunmetal with gradient brown lenses and not "solid brown" with shiny satin silver frames as per the 042/8z in IM1.

I ended up with 3 pairs, but I put the brown gradient lenses into the 042/8g shiny satin silver frame (that originally had grey lenses) to get a bit closer to screen accurate...
View attachment 1054712
View attachment 1054713
It's becoming increasingly difficult to find the 042/8z in new condition without any scratches on the lenses etc. due to their age.

There are many ebay sellers (Fuse lenses etc.) that sell non-genuine, "solid" brown lenses and wondered if anyone here had bought some, or actually have the 042/8z and think that with indoor (Humvee) lighting, they agree they are the correct lenses.

I don't have a Funvee to test the lighting, but have always known the gradients are incorrect.

I do want to get these right, because of the significance of them being the first IM frames to be on screen.
UV can you post some pics of the inside (hinges and temples) as well as the etching in the lenses, just want to make sure I didn’t purchase a fake
Thank you very much

Thank you UV, I’ve seen both writing on the frame and on the temples did the come both ways. Seeing old pics from legit sites have both. Confusing :(

Thank you UV, I’ve seen both writing on the frame and on the temples did the come both ways. Seeing old pics from legit sites have both. Confusing :(
No problem man!
You are right, they have both. I think the earliest 3320's had the writing on the black arms and later 3320's had the writing on the inside of the hinges...both are legit.
The fakes are quite hard to spot. Sometimes legit frames are mistakenly sold with fake cases, so don't always be put off if the case looks suspect.

I just remembered an old Youtube vid that might help....

Thank you ! Found another pair but was bought on eBay that one looked good also matching all the legit signs. But on the temple it showed made in China. I know a lot of RB are was this a model made in China also ? Anyone have one that says China ?
Thanks In advance. I’ll see what mine says when I get it.

Thank you ! Found another pair but was bought on eBay that one looked good also matching all the legit signs. But on the temple it showed made in China. I know a lot of RB are was this a model made in China also ? Anyone have one that says China ?
Thanks In advance. I’ll see what mine says when I get it.
1 pair of mine say Italy, my other 2 pairs have model numbers just visible on the arms, but the opposite arms where the "made in" would be, have worn off.
This is probably why on later 3320's, the spec. info was moved away from the arms where it can wear off, to the inside hinges.

Does anyone know if the Outdoorsman's lenses are the same as the Aviator's, making a lens swap possible ?
Not a bad idea!
I'm not sure, but I suppose if the size matches up, it looks like they have the same shape to fit.

I'm not sure if the RB3025 Evolve's are only in 55mm & 58mm though.
My RB3029 Outdoorsman 2's are 62mm, I think the 58mm Outdoorsman are RB3030.

You can get 62mm "standard non-sweatbar" aviator ambermatics.

So, it's all a bit confusing, but hopefully, those who have only black 62mm frames can get lenses and equally, those who have 58mm lenses, can get 58mm black 3030 frames.

I think I might try to contact Ray-Ban. Maybe you can order replacement ambermatic lenses in all sizes/shapes.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea!
I'm not sure, but I suppose if the size matches up, it looks like they have the same shape to fit.

I'm not sure if the RB3025 Evolve's are only in 55mm & 58mm though.
My RB3029 Outdoorsman 2's are 62mm, I think the 58mm Outdoorsman are RB3030.

You can get 62mm "standard non-sweatbar" aviator ambermatics.

So, it's all a bit confusing, but hopefully, those who have only black 62mm frames can get lenses and equally, those who have 58mm lenses, can get 58mm black 3030 frames.

I think I might try to contact Ray-Ban. Maybe you can order replacement ambermatic lenses in all sizes/shapes.

Pottz seems to be the only one so far, to get the right frames and lenses in a single purchase in her Outdoorsman 2's......awesome!
I see, I haven't seen any RB3029 in Black (I believe they're discontinued in black btw) in different size than 62mm.
I might end up buying Outdoorsman RB3030 in 58, change the temples myself and put Evolve lenses in them... I'd just like to know if they really feel like (or close enough) to the original Ambermatics, I think Jaymig is the only one here having Evolve's.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back