Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

BOOYAAAAHHHH!! FRAK YEAH! Finally back to the Viper build!

My other major projects are all but done, so it's time to get stuck into it.

Last night I started by pulling all the plywood cladding off the landing gear and started to replace it with steel. I am also fitting concealed axle mounts in the skids, so I can put temporary wheels on each one, for moving the ship when needed.

As I go, I am repairing all the damaged polystyrene, caused by moving it around the property. I've already spent some time realigning modules that have shifted, so the fit is flush.

When I can, I will look at getting the canopy along to an aluminium welding service to get it solidified, positioning brackets removed, then get some polycarbonate windows fitted into it.

The turbines, front and rear need to be tuned and joined with through- driveshafts, then belted to a clutched, central drive motor. I've pulled out the front turbine fans to get a clear look through the nacelle and plan it out.

I repaired the wiring of some of the cockpit instruments last night. The sound system needs more work.

The wing frames need to be welded together, fitted then skinned, then fit the cannons.

Plans for an 8 metre low-rider trailer are in the works, with fold down sides and removable roof, for weatherproofing, security and transport to shows.

Lots to do.

Baz.

UJUWKyv.jpg

ay7FMnp.jpg

Mp4Tszt.jpg

L2abOre.jpg

3XvcUsH.jpg

JeslkZq.jpg

UudeR3Q.jpg

JcSSSl8.jpg

wqhnSWh.jpg

56FqUA5.jpg

Sounds like you have a couple days work in front of you at the rate you get things done! Love the metal bits!

Some stolen time last week, gave me a chance to get a little work done on the front landing gear. I replaced the plywood base plate on the bottom with 10mm thick plate steel, welded solid to the foot and leg. Also added some extra bracing at the top for lateral movement. I plasma-cut the holes in the side panels of the landing strut, then framed them with strips of sheet-metal, welded in.

It needs a quick clean-up with a flap disk, but I must say, even without paint it looks much better. It will certainly last a lot longer than that horrible plywood.

2PJoW82.jpg

Dc1k3Eo.jpg

8Jgrhke.jpg

cVAiNsC.jpg

VOdQUxN.jpg

So cool just seeing the Viper casually behind you. By the way, this is showing as age-restricted in the embedded video above. Don't know if that's because you're talking about knives, or what. But I was able to watch it on YouTube itself.

So cool just seeing the Viper casually behind you. By the way, this is showing as age-restricted in the embedded video above. Don't know if that's because you're talking about knives, or what. But I was able to watch it on YouTube itself.
Yeah, it's because of the kbife laws and under 18s.

Happy New year!

Love the knife! Great idea too. You could put the colonial logo on it!

Kara had a couple survival knives (machete style) they were used in the episode Act of Contrition or the one after. They were some type of Russian knife and we're in the Propworx auction.

2021 has started out hectic, with no leave left as I've used it all up for health reasons, so a very short shut-down at work over Christmas then straight back into it. I've been teaching a lot of knifemaking and blacksmithing courses, including groups of teenagers which really tests me as an instructor, but also grows me as an artisan.

At home, I've been coming home so tired, but still try to get a little bit done at night.

An old army mate dropped in a motorcycle helmet for me to pull apart and use the inner lining for the Viper pilot helmet. After a few mods, it fit in quite well and feels snug and comfortable enough to stay on my head if I was pulling some G's. I may even pull out the old perspex visor I made and re-shape the motorcycle helmet visor to fit. It's thickness and surface are a lot more consistent than the one I moulded with a heat gun. I think I'll put in a de-fogging fan too. I have one in the Iron Man helmet and it is very effective.

dLKDx0K.jpg

vmh3vTa.jpg

kwmjvjN.jpg

QEtaS6O.jpg

Continuing with the landing gear, the top pivot pin and surround made of plywood is now in the bin, with sheetmetal cladding replacing it. Not only does it look better, but it will last forever. I ran out of welding gas, so the top bit is just nasty spot-welded in position for now until I can afford more gas to finish it.

NzTN84C.jpg

uVZXX0Z.jpg

yHAdcPs.jpg

uBD8WxP.jpg

o2kLNxf.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back