Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Thanks for your interest ! :)

Unfortunatly I'm still looking for someone who could cut for me the large acrylic panels of the hull and the plywood ribs. Too big for being cut by myself... :(

Unfortunatly I'm still looking for someone who could cut for me the large acrylic panels of the hull and the plywood ribs. Too big for being cut by myself... :(

Monsieur, you should buy or build your power circle saw table.
I made mine for 15 years ago. Just screwed a power tip saw on the thick
plywood box. I used to cut the 3' x 6' panel with this. Smooth and clean cut.

I should have commented this earlier check out ponoko (3D printing, laser cutting, cnc milling) they call it a "making system". Allows you to upload 2d or 3d files an get them cut or grown free to join just have to pay for cut/grown time an material. I believe they have two locations in Europe (London an Paris) might be worth checking out.

Hey guys, unfortunatly no update. The ponoko system was not viable for my needs so Im still looking for someone who could cut the large plywood ribs and another who could cut the large Plexiglas parts. Im looking someone in the UE to avoid custom fee and pay less shipping (parts are huge and heavy), that's why I have some difficulties to find the right persons.

I bet the prop/set department at Canal + could help you out mate?, I've been down there a few times and they have a great workshop, cant remember which site it was at though.

Good lord. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what I have been seeing on this thread but I'm too stunned at the moment. Wow, Julien. What an eye for detail and accuracy. I think George Lucas is calling. He wants you to report to ILM in 1975.

I'm assuming this will be lit up as well? If so, and correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't it have been easier to pre-drill all the holes before assembly?

(y)thumbsup
Jon

Last edited:
Julien,

Very sorry to hear that you're running into obstacles. I can definitely feel your pain, as my CG version is currently too much for my computer to manage. I'm scrambling to upgrade so I can finish the damned thing.

Incidentally, I'd love to trade info on measurements, part IDs, reference photos and the like. If you're interested.

What can I say that hasn't been said before? :eek

Your build actually introduced me to the RPF, and has has inspired my build beyond belief (a non-star wars ship of my own design, will be posted in the GM forum later).

I hope you find solutions to the problems stymieing you soon and can't wait to see updates!!

Thank you very much for your kind words guys, I'm glad you like watching this build and I'm sorry I'm so low :(

But some updates !

Thanks to new Steven's ref pics of the ISD he posted here, I've been able to make the rear of the bridge more accurate :)

Of course I had to scrap everything :wacko

8ft378.jpg

I didnt know what I was doing and was a bit scared with the idea I could break something (and I did :p, the T rods, cranes and spins of the domes are very fragile ^^)

Actually I did the plating around the kit parts, while they did the plating before adding the kitparts (except the StuG and Mobel parts that were glued first). So I removed everything, kitparts, plating etc and did new plating, much more accurate as I was missing a lot of the panel, actually the whole rear is plated :)

8ft379.jpg

Kitparts :

8ft380.jpg

I feel like I already did that some years ago... :lol

Other side :

8ft381.jpg

Primed :

8ft382.jpg

8ft383.jpg

Of course I'm pretty sure you barely see the difference ! :p

Now some details that were unseen in the previous ref pics !

8ft384.jpg

8ft385.jpg

Thanks for watching and for your interest after all these years ! =)

Fantastic job!

May I ask what base color you used for your Tydirium shuttle? I saw it person here in Montreal SW exhibit but it wasn't white more like a off white, close to Model Masters camouflage grey, the lighting was poor and they used wierd neon lighting.

GFollano

Ah, Julien, you're finally back with this awesome build !

I'm more into A L I E N than Star Wars but I LOVE this project, it's just too impressive to be ignored...

This to say, can't wait to see your next updates !!!

:love

Fred

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back