Building a realistic Neuralyzer -- the original Men In Black memory zapping device

Huge

I would be using this as a stage prop. The main element it would be to embody is a convincing, bright, large flash. It doesnt need to look visually accurate or highly detailed because it wont be seen by any audience up close. As long as its good enough for people to pick up on the reference, we're good to go.

Any thoughts or things to start with would help.

I was thinking taking a toy version of it and installing a powerful flashbulb....any ideas on how to do that??

just in case youre confused which prop im referring to:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110504061637/men-in-black/images/e/eb/Neuralizer1.png

Re: Building a realistic Neuralyzer -- the original Men In Black memory zapping devic

Welcome to the forum!

All you really need is a capacitor, an ultra bright led, and some knowledge of electronics.

This gives a basic explanation of how to scavenge them from a disposable camera

camera_electronics

Re: Building a realistic Neuralyzer -- the original Men In Black memory zapping devic

Huge,

I would start with either a toothbrush or cigar holder. They are both hollow, come apart in two halves, and can be modified without too much effort.
Cigar holders are usually a thin metal type material, not too hard to work with, but not a breeze either.
Toothbrush holders, being plastic, are easy to work with, but rarely come in shiny silver like the Neuro. This means all the inherent caveats of painting it.

I would essentially find a really bright but compact LED flashlight (keychain-style) with a SIDE mounted switch that will slide somewhat snug into the bottom half of whichever tube you choose.
In the top half, cut a window in the side for the light to go out, and stick in a small dental mirror at 45 degrees just above your cutout so the light goes out the hole, not the top of the tube.
Stretch some red cellophane over the top of the bottom half of the tube, so after the light passes through it, all that gets out to the mirror and the audience is red light. You want it so that when you put the top half on, it stretches the red film tight. Then, just trim away the excess.
With the right size tube and microflashlight, if you squeeze the borttom of the tube just right, it should activate the light for as long as you squeeze it.

Hope this helps.

Your Friend in Time,
--ElectroDFW--
aka The Other David

I was looking for micro flash bulbs, but it seems that most of them require very high voltage circuits to power, which probably isn't something you want to be messing with...

Xenon Flash Tube

I think the hyper-bright LED option is the way forward (safest). My only concern is that lighting and dimming an LED on a switch won't provide quite the same effect as a flash.

Hello- What a great prop! It seems we have a few gents. who have a "working knowledge" of the prop...I'd be interested in making a more screen accurate version- with the dials for year, month, etc. as well as the flash. Can anyone who tackled this maybe help with pics and instructions for us visual creatures out here? Both explanations seem great, but for screen accuracy? Can you still make a scavanged version and make it accurate? Any help would greatly (!) appreciated and id of course show the steps and/or the progress to share with us other members-it sounds like butting heads with this would knock it outta the park! I've got a mill&other machines, but unfortunately NO lathe YET...thanks in advance! You can message me or email any time- halocat76@gmail.com - thank you to all! Please don't let this fall off!

I built one using a compact camera flash. Crammed it into the bottom section, along with the capacitor.

There's a thread on it, try using the search function, for pics, and info!

You can take apart a disposable camera and use the flash and shutter button off of that. Should be fairly easy.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back