Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but what colour should the lenses be?

Is it likely that they retained any original colour from the Kalimars or were they entirely repainted?

I have a set of resin lenses and a real Kalimar hood. Should I be trying to match any part of it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

i dont know why you guys seem to think the seagull knob is painted ?
if it were black it would look just like the rest of black parts on the prop.

Attachments

• lukeheromacros[1].jpg
    lukeheromacros[1].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 171
I think it looks more black in the tusken raider photos like Trents post. But, its 50:50 in my mind on the vaporator photo. You could argue that it looks as black on the vaporator shot as the inner rim of the lenses. They could both just illuminated by the sun?

Has anyone identified the larger bubble or element that sits on top of the honeycomb bubblestrip?

In some shots it looks light, in others dark. Not sure if it’s reflective or clear.

I haven’t seen anyone include this.

Last edited:
Has anyone identified the larger bubble or element that sits on top of the honeycomb bubblestrip?

In some shots it looks light, in others dark. Not sure if it’s reflective or clear.

I haven’t seen anyone include this.

Pics? Not sure what you’re referring to

Sorry. Was posting from my phone and couldn’t attach pics.View attachment 998451View attachment 998452View attachment 998453

At first I thought it was just the Eumig logo coming through distorted by the bubblestrip, but it doesn’t seem to correspond to any part of the logo plate beneath.

And in the sandpeople scene it seems to protrude above it.

I can imagine if it’s a larger clear bubble it may create this kind of dot (like a cyclops/water droplet) over a date on a watch face.

Last edited:
Weird, I always thought it was the Eumig name plate peeking through the bubbles, now I'm not sure WHAT I'm looking at.

I think it looks more black in the tusken raider photos like Trents post. But, its 50:50 in my mind on the vaporator photo. You could argue that it looks as black on the vaporator shot as the inner rim of the lenses. They could both just illuminated by the sun?
I'd say that yeah, they're black, and that is just some turbo bright Tunisian sun.

I added the disc on mine. In this photo I can clearly see it, even though it could have fallen off at some point during filming.
I can still see the nubs in this pic if I want to.

But I'll totally agree that the plate could've easily been there at one point, and fell off at some other point.

Weird, I always thought it was the Eumig name plate peeking through the bubbles, now I'm not sure WHAT I'm looking at.

I’m now convinced that there’s a bigger bubble sitting on top of the bubblestrip. I’ve played with my eumig logo plate and bubbles and I can’t get that big black dot from any angle with those two things alone.

If I am right, I wonder if it’s this lens:

47375556071_c60d3f62ff_o_d.jpg

UNLESS:

A very shiny screw to bolt the bubblestrip on. Could have a bright reflection when facing upwards and a dark one when reflecting a Tatooine night sky.

Fixed then links to the above reference pics now.

Last edited:
?? I mean I kinda see a darker shadow looking patch on some angles but nothing that indicates another raised part.
Do you see it here on this closeup? to me that's just so clearly the black part of the Eumig plaque that says "servomatic"
lukeheromacros[1].jpg

1F50CF79-9192-4D50-86C3-4764F55DAC90.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree, I don't really see another part there, per se, but it does look funky in a couple shots.

I don't see the folks who made this prop sticking something on top of them pretty bubbles.

?? I mean I kinda see a darker shadow looking patch on some angles but nothing that indicates another raised part.
Do you see it here on this closeup? to me that's just so clearly the black part of the Eumig plaque that says "servomatic"
View attachment 999842
View attachment 999848

I convinced myself the other day that I could see it in that shot. Now I’m not so sure.

Another way of explaining the black dot is something other than the logo BENEATH the bubbles. Like a dollop of dark epoxy to hold the bubbles on.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back