Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by MastahBlastah, Oct 21, 2017.

1. MastahBlastah

MastahBlastah Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since I'm finally wrapping up my Greedo Killer build, I decided it's time to start the thread for my next build ...

[​IMG]

I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top.

Here are the parts I've acquired thus far:

Kalimar Six Sixty with original Kaligar f2.8 80mm lens:
    Being the most difficult (and expensive) piece to acquire, I waited until I found a decent deal on one of these (on eBay, earlier this year) and pounced on it. In great vintage shape:

[​IMG]

Kalimar Viewer:
    It's in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?

[​IMG]

Seagull 4A:
    Having seen Scottjua's recent discovery that the screen-used macros most likely used a different Seagull knob than the commonly accepted one, I began combing the internet for this different knob. Months of searching yielded plenty of cameras with the variant knob but they all had a black plastic housing, while the screen-grabs show what appears to be a silver knob. Eventually, I convinced myself that the prop makers just painted one of these black knobs silver, and purchased one with that intent:

(EDIT: there are behind the scenes photos that clearly show the knurled, bandless version of the Seagull knob mounted on the macros, though I'm still nit convinced the banded version wasn't used throughout at least part of the film)

[​IMG]

Almost immediately after that purchase, I saw an Aluminum Knob Variant pop up for sale in Germany. This one is absolutely pristine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eumig Servomatic:
    These are fairly common and cheap on eBay. It was just a matter of waiting for a good deal on one in good, worn shape:

[​IMG]

Bell & Howell Two Twenty:
    These are even more common/cheap. After examining screen-grabs, it seems that they used a very obscure variant of the 220 that had a grey knob center piece, instead of the commonly available red knob variety. I've been searching and have only found one grey knob, but it is unavailable (frustratingly). I'll resign to paint this one, for now ...

[​IMG]

Second real Kaligar f2.8 80mm & Machined Aluminum Lens Plate by DMachinist:
    The lens speaks for itself. DMachinist's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer, which I'l get to later.

[​IMG]

Greeblie Kit by Trooper:
    The mystery box is great. I plan to do a bit of touchup and maybe some painting. The belt clip is great as well, I'll have to find some rivets for it. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about using WannaWanga's saber rivets, as I used them on my ANH Graflex build. I plan on eventually making my own mystery wedge, using my real Eumig knob. I'll most likely use these resin lens knobs. They are nice, detailed casts. Neither of my lenses came with them, unfortunately:

[​IMG]

This will likely be a slow build, but I'm lookin forward to getting started. Hoping to do an EL sheet in the lens hood eventually, as well. So much great reference here on the RPF, thanks to all that have documented their builds! Now ... to paint the lenses or not?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Bengrim09, Sulla, timw1031 and 4 others like this.
  2. kwh

kwh Member

Nice start, can't wait to see it finished

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Marvin3242 and MastahBlastah like this.
  3. Red Hawk

Red Hawk Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome treasure hunting, MastahBlastah! Seeing all your pieces together gives me some faith that I’ll find my missing Kalimars some day. Agreed on all the great resources here for other stellar builds, the one scottjua did is a thing of beauty.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    MastahBlastah likes this.
  4. timw1031

timw1031 Jr Member

Fantastic job on collecting all the parts! I can’t wait to see it all come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. HB1098S

HB1098S Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice collection of parts, they’re getting harder and harder to locate w/o spending a grip of money!

I had this part commissioned for my build, great piece! Make a metal spacer too. As far as rivets for the belt clip, I'd recommend screws if you ever want to access the interior of the Eumig, see my build for details. Again, great hunting and I look forward to your build!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. kwh

kwh Member

How are you coming along with the build?

7. timw1031

timw1031 Jr Member

Do you know if trooper still makes the Greeblie Kit?

8. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

lukeheromacros.jpg

I think that this pic shows that Scott was mistaken about the Seagull knob

Cameron likes this.
  9. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SGKNOB1.jpg In my opinion thats the pic that confirms this seagull knob. Here is a pic of an original and one of my cold cast copies. The shadow on that pic above hides the lower part of the knob but the lines are the same spacing and the knob is the correct hight. Also notice how the black on the side of the knob creeps into the rounded upper edge as it is on this Seagull knob.

M08 copy.jpg Here is a close up showing how the internals were painted grey. It also shows the indented lower area is present.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. timw1031

timw1031 Jr Member

Nice. I didn't see that closeup before. It's always appears black to me from a distance. I agree that pic clears up any confusion.

11. timw1031

timw1031 Jr Member

Good catch! That makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. kwh

kwh Member

Is there a real working Luke binoculars?

13. Cameron

Sort of. I've made a few sets with working video cameras built in.

kwh likes this.
  14. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

[​IMG]

Cameron, timw1031 and veektohr like this.
  15. scottjua

kwh likes this.
  16. scottjua

17. timw1031

timw1031 Jr Member

I really like that version too. Thank you for sharing the pics. I agree that they probably had more than one prop. You have to just find the version you like and go with it. Or build one of each. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. Cameron

No more mistakes. Let that be your one and only sir!!!! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Considering that that they probably glued that knob on and they were filming Luke falling all over the place in that sceen while holding the macros Im sure parts fell off and were replaced on the regular.

19. Seneca

Seneca Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Scott, recently roger told me that there was only one hero Marcos made for the movie if that helps at all.

20. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

I have read many threads on Macrobinocular builds. I have seen many very amazing builds, very detailed, over the last 40 years. I want to build my own. Is it true no one has every been able to identify the actual part is that is placed on the opposite side of the macros from the Seagull knob? (some call the mystery box)

21. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As I understand it that's correct. The greebles people put on the side are their interpretation of what they think it looks like.
    I believe that is true of the cheese wedge piece too.
    In Christian's book he says the Macro's had a light so when Luke uses them it appears as though he is looking into a screen. It could easily have been some type of switch they rigged up to create that effect.

22. kwh

kwh Member

Awesome

23. kwh

kwh Member

Is it operational ?

24. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Instead of EL sheet I plan on building a small box of white styrene, placing it behind the "screen" and using a single white LED, set back as far as possible.

I also plan on putting a red LED off to the side of the front of the screen, to produce the effect seen while Luke is using it at night.

Macro at night.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Your photos have disappeared...

25. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the red light is not from the macros, but the moisture evaporator in the background

26. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

So..... if I told everybody on RPF exactly what they used on the original ANH Macrobinoculars as the “Mystery Box”, would that be helpful to all?

Bengrim09 and MastahBlastah like this.
  27. HB1098S

HB1098S Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LOL, maybe. Seriously, this is why we all refer to it as the “Mystery Box”

28. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

LOL, I was just acting naive because I was excited about the discovery. I am working on a build, but I did not want to do it if I had to put a plastic mock-up on it, or worse, something that was completely wrong.

So I started researching, first enhancing the best picture I could find of the original (you all know the pic), then just searching google images for hours a day, over several weeks. My wife said I was nuts!

The other day, When I was googling “Old 6 and 8 pin anolog connectors and plugs”, and scrolling down pages of photos, my heart suddenly stopped. There is was.

The plugs were made in the mid “70s” and into the early “80s”. I figured I should find one for sale and buy it before everyone goes nuts purchasing them.

The easiest way to find the plug (hopefully someone will find a cheaper way of obtaining them), is to google Ibanez UE700 (or UE400 and UE405). Check out google images, look for a good photo that includes an image of the plug that connects the Foot Controller to the Multi Effects Processor.

It it was my pleasure to help all the Star Wars build enthusiasts out there.

David

29. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

30. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

holly crap !!!! that's it !!!!!!!

31. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

I know, it’s exciting! I wish there was a way to let all those I have seen on this site who have built some wonderful Macro’s know about this !

32. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is freeking huge !!!

33. MastahBlastah

Oh, wow! That certainly seems to be it! Incredible work tracking this down. Your attachment seems to be down, a google search shows two types of foot pedals ... One with multi-colored buttons and one with grey buttons. Do they both have the accurate plug???

34. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

The UE700 is the older version and has a larger foot switch with small metal toggle buttons and colored “effects names” that light up when activated. The 400 has the narrower footswitch with large square switches. I know the 400 has the correct plug, and I am almost as sure the 700 has the same. However, the 700 is rare and coveted by musicians, so the price of these, if even found, are 3 to 4 times more than the 400.

35. MastahBlastah

I see that the UE405 also SEEMS to have the same plug given this photo:

UE400 Plug 2.jpg

but this closeup photo from another source looks as if the plug has a plastic housing, with a strange circular formation on the side that I can't see when looking at other versions:

UE400 Plug 3.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  36. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

I just ordered a 400 footswitch. It is coming from Italy. I will update with photo when I get it. I have seen photos of the plugs that have plenty of ware and metal is showing under the paint. The circular formation is a metal clip that locks the plug onto the main unit. You push it in to remove the plug.

Here is another pic of the 400 plug. You can see the worn edges showing metal.

B52A1885-7F64-45F6-9028-043060EE8E78.png

37. Marv

I'm thinking the wedge on the viewer hood might just be a foot switch too. Think they can be quite small also.
    Ordered one too before the mad rush ensues

38. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What did you pay buddy?...the cheapest ones seem to go for around 200 Euro
    we need just the pedal, right? Would it be worth checking out, if the main panel contains some other greeblies!?. Hmmmm.....��

39. Marv

PM'd you

40. MastahBlastah

I tracked down a foot switch last night as well. Shipping Monday :$ Glad to hear about the metal clip around the plug, that one image scared me.

This is is so exciting!

41. veektohr

veektohr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll take a trip to Apex today. Maybe they'll have some of that type of connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow--nice detective work!

My hat is off to you sir...

43. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

Yes, VERY nice find !!! Good work!

- Jim

44. veektohr

Alright so they didn't have any at Apex. HOWEVER the guy did point me in another direction. They may have been used on the Ibanez pedal board, but the primary application for that style connector were old u-matic tape recorders... [​IMG]

I have the name for this specific type of connector, but haven't been able to turn up any sources for them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameron and MastahBlastah like this.
  45. Davids1161

Davids1161 New Member

FYI I noticed during my research that many of these plug are damage (they may be made out of a cheesy cast metal, I will let you know when I get mine), I also have also seen some old blogs showing how to convert the plug into a modern, round, 6 pin connector. So it is very important you request a photo of the plug before you buy.

46. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

That's a newer plastic version of the plug. You don't want that one.
    The pic you posted above of the 405 had the metal one.

He's talking about the circular hole in the edge of the plastic version of the plug, not the metal clip.

47. Cameron

holy sdfghjhf well done

48. Cameron

I nailed it pretty good with my version. Awesome sauce. Now I need 4 of em....ack MyMB.png Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.58.52 PM.png

veektohr likes this.
  49. Cameron

50. veektohr

I believe I've found an affordable source for these. Give me a couple days to lock it down & confirm. If I'm right, these cables run about $25-40 (at least until the SW savages have their way with market value), and you get two connectors on each. I have one coming my way, so once I know for sure I'll let everyone know :cheers

My question: is it just the male connector on the macros, or is the female port attached to the connector as well? My source would only be for the male side.

Bengrim09 and Cameron like this.