Buck Rogers uni's

Gee2

Sr Member
Trying to put together an Earth Defense force uniform (the all white), spandex is pretty self explanatory but any other info, like what were the ribs in the pants and sleeves, arm/belt devices, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jason

Originally posted by Dash Rendar@Dec 9 2005, 02:19 PM
Trying to put together an Earth Defense force uniform (the all white), spandex is pretty self explanatory but any other info, like what were the ribs in the pants and sleeves, arm/belt devices, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jason
[snapback]1132408[/snapback]​

Sorry. All I have are DragonCon photos of people wearing those uniforms.

Originally posted by Dash Rendar@Dec 9 2005, 02:19 PM

Thanks,

Jason

Well, looks like I'm the only one with any info for you, so here goes:

The ribbing in the spandex was actually IN THE PATTERN. It wasn't a seperate piping or ribbing that was added on or sewn into a seam. Each outfit piece was cut from a single piece of spandex and the ribs were figured into the pattern. So what they did was make a fold and stitch along that fold. Then they'd do the next one about an inch away from that. Over and over and over until they had a sleeve piece that was ribbed all the way around.

I can explain the technique in a private email if you wish. I just gave you enough information above to really foul it up if you don't know what I'm talking about.

My email is spcglider@aol.com. I'll be happy to provide drawings for you to go from. not patterns, but instructional drawings.

-G

Originally posted by WhiteCommando@Dec 15 2005, 01:24 PM
Tight white spandex UnderArmor could be revised by a tailor...and the COURAGE to wear it.

Good luck brave one.

John
[snapback]1136368[/snapback]​

When they're fitted properly, the Earth Defense Directorate uniforms aren't embarrassing at all.

Of course, having a handsome physique doesn't hurt the effect.

Remember, white spandex adds 20 pounds. That's a costumer's fact. Why do you think I never finished that Space Ghost outfit? LOL.

-Gordon

Another way of assuaging the spandex fear is to not use one layer of heavy-weight spandex, but two layers of light-weight instead. It takes away the "naked" feeling of a single layer and allows the outer layer to lay properly without making embarrassing bulges in the wrong places.

I'd also suggest getting what is known as a "dance belt". Its basically a dancer's jockstrap. Yes, they are tight. Yes, they can be uncomfortable. But if you want to look good in those convention photos, you have to put up with SOME discomfort.

And you aren't going to convince me that a suit of armor is LESS uncomfortable than a dance belt. Especially for 5 plus hours at a time. I spent 15 years working for a Renaissance festival. I've worn BOTH for stretches exceeding 8 plus hours at a time. I speak from experience.

-Gordon

That is why I wear hard white plastic over my black Spandex...

ARCstarCorpClose.jpg

Oops, me cod armor is barely covering me private bits. arghh. I'm a pirate clone.

Originally posted by spcglider@aol.com+Dec 15 2005, 06:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spcglider@aol.com @ Dec 15 2005, 06:32 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WhiteCommando
@Dec 15 2005, 01:24 PM
Tight white spandex UnderArmor could be revised by a tailor...and the COURAGE to wear it.

Good luck brave one.

John
[snapback]1136368[/snapback]​

When they're fitted properly, the Earth Defense Directorate uniforms aren't embarrassing at all.

Of course, having a handsome physique doesn't hurt the effect.

Remember, white spandex adds 20 pounds. That's a costumer's fact. Why do you think I never finished that Space Ghost outfit? LOL.

-Gordon
[snapback]1136590[/snapback]​
[/b]

G, much thanks, e-mail is on its way. Not to toot my horn but physique shouldn't be an issue.

My first impression was that the ribbing was some type of cord sewn between two layers of spandex???

I was able to pick up a helmet in a sweet deal and I just finished the sculpt for the EDF seal on the buckle so it's coming along. The things that have me stumped are the belt and arm packs. Were they found items or created (if so with what?).

Jason

Originally posted by Dash Rendar@Dec 16 2005, 05:59 PM
G, much thanks, e-mail is on its way.  Not to toot my horn but physique shouldn't be an issue. 

My first impression was that the ribbing was some type of cord sewn between two layers of spandex???

I was able to pick up a helmet in a sweet deal and I just finished the sculpt for the EDF seal on the buckle so it's coming along.  The things that have me stumped are the belt and arm packs.  Were they found items or created (if so with what?).

Jason
[snapback]1137372[/snapback]​

Well, if you can pull it off I say more power to ya. I regret not getting a suit done in my younger days when I could have remained unembarrassed by my weight. Marriage and general comfort tends to put an end to the desire to make oneself studly with working out.

As for the boxes on the belt and arm, they look like kluged together bits to me. Scratch built out of various electronic junk (switches and such).

Have you sculpted your "chest wings" yet? There's some great shots in the old Starlogs from that era. Its basically an earth with laurels spread out to either side.

I managed to pick up a copy of the unicorn patch that Buster Crabbe wore in the show a few weeks back at a military show.

-G

Re: Buck Rogers uni's

Thanks,

Jason

Hey Jason, Did you ever make a Buck Rogers uniform? Im thinking of making one.

Regards and thanks

Adam

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back