Buck Rogers and Galactica Props

Ok here is link to several pics of a Benjamin Air Rifle.. This doesnt appear to be the exact model. but you can see why I believe it is a Benjamin.. which I believe its an 80's model for sure.. as my best friend owned one.. you can see the small barrel rides atop the air chamber..

http://www.bradwood.com/airrifle/

Originally posted by uscm buzz@Jan 31 2006, 06:25 PM
Ok here is link to several pics of a Benjamin Air Rifle.. This doesnt appear to be the exact model. but you can see why I believe it is a Benjamin.. which I believe its an 80's model for sure.. as my best friend owned one.. you can see the small barrel rides atop the air chamber..

http://www.bradwood.com/airrifle/
[snapback]1172719[/snapback]​

The "numo" or "Pneumo" was used in a 1979 episode of Battlestar Galactica, which would mean that it had to be either a 1979 model or earlier. Considering that most of the "found" objects in the show were readily available items (and some of them high-end merchandise as exemplified by the Sidi motocross boots and some of the other costume parts like the Warrior's watches), they probably just visited a local K-mart or similar and picked up a half-dozen of the same model for modification.

Perhaps the same design was maintained into the 1980's by the company that made them, but if anyone has any information about 1979 vintage air rifles, I'd bet that'd be the most effective place to start (if you're looking to find one).

-Gordon

After looking at the website, I saw the Crossman link and followed it.

If that truly is a Benjamin air rifle, it'll have a serial number on it which will indicate what year it was manufactured. There's a listing on the Crossman site.

If its a model 340, 342, or 347 it should have a serial number somewhere between
T298242 and T359568. That covers 1978 an 1979. I can't imagine they'd have used anything earlier than a year or two before since they probably didn't get the order for the props until a week or so before they had to play in front of the camera.

Model 340 is described as "Pneumatic, .177 cal. lead shot, single shot w/ under lever pump & checkered stock & fore end"

Model 342 is described as "Pneumatic, .22 cal. pellet, single shot w/ under lever pump & checkered stock & fore end (1st var.)"

Model 347 is described as "Pneumatic, .177 cal. pellet, single shot w/ under lever pump & checkered stock & fore end (1st var.)"

Maybe that'll help in the search?

-Gordon

Originally posted by uscm buzz@Jan 31 2006, 05:51 PM
Hey Reaper nice pistol.. do you got a pic of your Buck version ..?..
[snapback]1172690[/snapback]​

here is the Buck version , like the Hawk pistol some had the front sight and some did not .
i still have some cleaning up to do, and polish the tip, add a Radio Shack trigger button. :)

if i get real interested in it i might add the light in the tip. :p

i wish someone here would make a small size strobe unit for us old retrogeeks.

i remember cutting up camera flashes 25 yrs ago to put in scifi guns.

DAMN THOSE CHARGED CAPACITORS CAN STING CAN'T THEY :lol

john :cool

You shouldn't need a photo flash for a bright light, you could use one of those xenon flashlights. Everready used to make a pretty inexpensive one that used six, or eight AA batteries. Just drill a hole in the clear part, and put the bulb in it, it shouldn't be too hard to make a socket for the bulb. Either way you don't need the flashlight just the bulb.

I once saw a close-up photo of the clear muzzle of the BR pistols and it had three holes drilled in it from the barrel to channel the light.

David.

" I once saw a close-up photo of the clear muzzle of the BR pistols and it had three holes drilled in it from the barrel to channel the light.

David. "

thats great info.

what pattern were they in. a line or triangle etc.

john :cool

Originally posted by Run Runner@Feb 1 2006, 09:19 PM
The hero BR pistol that I own has one large hole in the center and four small holes evenly spaced around it.
[snapback]1173942[/snapback]​

That sounds right, it has been a long time since I've seen that photo. There may have been other patterns, but Run Runner's sound familiar. Thanks Run Runner.

David.

I just saw the BSG episode "Greetings from Earth" and noticed that the Eastern Alliance pistols looked like the Buck Rogers pistols. Does anyone have a capture of them? The holsters looked like they might be the same as well.

The Eastern Alliance did use repainted Buck Rogers pistols. The acrylic tip was painted over as well. I have a good screen cap if someone would post it for me.

I was wrong, seemd there are two companties with the name scifi models one is Sci-Fi models in England and the other is Scifi Models.

Rich

Here's a pic from Runrunner...

starbuckeasternalliance6uo.jpg

TK

What's with the way Starbuck always holds a pistol. He ALWAYS has his pinkie finger sticking out.. Is that some special Colonial grip?

-Skyler101

:lol I always liked when he used the Middle finger on the grip with all the other fingers positioned straight out.

Dirk must have love torturing the Prop Guys on whether he was going to drop the Pistols.

Wow...check out that late 1970's decor.

Looks like they were shooting at the local Radisson Hotel or something.

What's with the salmon colored chairs????

-Gordon

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back